PDA

View Full Version : Annoying

JJJJJ
07-09-2012, 09:28 AM
I have a SSD drive partitioned into two. C & D. Something has placed itself into D and refuses to move. I don't know what it is, but it is 80MB and I want it out.
Any ideas?

Speedy Gonzales
07-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Does it have a name or whats in it??

dugimodo
07-09-2012, 09:35 AM
So it's hidden? try turning the option to show hidden and system files on in the folder view options of explorer and see what it is.
It could just be the recycle bin, try emptying it. By default the recycle bin can use up to 10% of all your drives to store deleted files, you can right click it on the desktop and change the settings to use less or disable it per drive if you don't want deleted files saved for that drive. With all my large 2TB drives I tend to set it to 2% and I'm thinking of disabling it completely on my C: drive SSD.

Speedy Gonzales
07-09-2012, 09:36 AM
Unless its system restore. Disable system restore on D

JJJJJ
13-09-2012, 10:17 AM
I have discovered that the misplaced file is the "Boot" file from windows. I have found that it is not unusual for parts of files to move between drives on partitioned SSD drives.
I reinstalled windows and then did a DOS format on D:. It worked and informed me that I had full space on D:. Then I found that the folder was still there! And could not be deleted!
My next step. Get a new SSD. I am going to remove or disconnect my current SSD and install windows on the new one. I will then replace my current one and hopefully be able to remove the partition and do a deep format.
What I want to know before I do this is will it work?
Any suggestion will be very welcome.
Jack

dugimodo
13-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Did you create the two partitions on purpose or did windows install do it? if so the second partition should be hidden and not have a drive letter.
MS in their wisdom decided to protect some of the boot files from us users by putting them on a hidden partition 100MB in size. It's a tiny amount of space so I just let it happen and don't worry about it.

If you just want a single partition the whole size of the drive (which I would) the easiest way is to pre partition and format it on a running machine, then disconnect all the other hard drives and install windows taking care not to re partition anything. It pays to only have a single drive attached for this because windows installer sometimes decides putting the hidden boot files on another drive is a good Idea, idiotic in my opinion because it causes things like "I disconnected my data drive and now windows won't boot"

JJJJJ
13-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Did you create the two partitions on purpose or did windows install do it? if so the second partition should be hidden and not have a drive letter.
MS in their wisdom decided to protect some of the boot files from us users by putting them on a hidden partition 100MB in size. It's a tiny amount of space so I just let it happen and don't worry about it.

If you just want a single partition the whole size of the drive (which I would) the easiest way is to pre partition and format it on a running machine, then disconnect all the other hard drives and install windows taking care not to re partition anything. It pays to only have a single drive attached for this because windows installer sometimes decides putting the hidden boot files on another drive is a good Idea, idiotic in my opinion because it causes things like "I disconnected my data drive and now windows won't boot"
I created the partition myself. D: is supposed to hold nothing else than FSX. The reason is that I am constantly adding and removing folders and files for Beta testing and I find it safer to keep them apart.