PDA

View Full Version : Monitors Off by themselves

bk T
05-09-2012, 06:44 PM
This happened twice, yesterday and just now - both the monitors just turned OFF (orange light) by themselves but the PC is running normally as I could hear the music playing at the background. This PC has dual monitors connected. The computer was running OK before yesterday.

Pressed the 'Reset' button to restart the PC and everything works as 'normal' again. Checked event viewer found nothing unusual. Looks very similar to power settings when the Monitor is turned Off after xxx minutes -- it's set to turn Off the monitor after 30 minutes. She updated the video driver about 2 weeks ago which didn't cause any issues.

Any idea as to why the monitors turned themselves OFF?

MB: GA-X58A-UD3R
CPU: i7 950
GPU: ASUS ENGTX 460 TOP

Trev
05-09-2012, 06:48 PM
I had that happen on a single monitor computer I had a few years ago. Replaced the PSU and everything was ok after that.
:)

bk T
05-09-2012, 07:11 PM
PSU?

If it is the culprit, then it's my second 'problem' Corsair PSU - it's only < 2 years old. My other PC's PSU (Corsair TX650) died about 6 months ago. Assuming it is the case, then Corsair has a 100% failure rate within the warranty period - as far as I am concerned :D

Really hope that this is not the case.

wainuitech
05-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Try setting the monitors to not turn off at all, instead of 30 Minutes. May or may not do anything.

bk T
05-09-2012, 08:44 PM
Will try that, wainu.

Agent_24
05-09-2012, 09:05 PM
If it happens again see if the system is responsive, try hitting Caps Lock etc and see if the keyboards light toggle. Maybe hit Winkey+R and type some garbage and press enter, see if you get an error sound.

If nothing like that responds, then the machine has likely locked up.

Paul.Cov
05-09-2012, 09:38 PM
Modern flat screen monitors have their own internal timeoff as well.

Check through the monitors menues as well as checking your Windows power settings.

bk T
05-09-2012, 10:32 PM
The 2 monitors are of different brand: 1 Dell and the other, LG and they were working perfectly OK before. Internal time off is very unlikely as both the Monitors turned OFF at the same time. And after restarting the PC they work absolutely OK, untill now - that was around 5 pm (when I reset the PC).

Have checked the power settings and reset to turning off the monitor as suggested by wainutech.

dugimodo
06-09-2012, 08:36 AM
If it happens again try the power button before resorting to the reset button, if the computer is sleeping the power button should wake it up. Don't hold the power button in though, that forces a power off and is just as rough if not worse than a hard reset.
It's always better if you can get a PC to power down/restart porperly by triggering the software to do it with the power button or ctrl-alt-del and the task manager.

Sometimes there is no way to avoid the reset button, but there is a risk of data corrption with any type of forced hardware shutdown.

bk T
06-09-2012, 02:35 PM
Thanks, folks, advice noted.