PDA

View Full Version : Funny joke from winz

lakewoodlady
05-09-2012, 03:42 PM
About two weeks ago I applied for the NZ Super at the local office as I turn 65 in a few days. Currently on Widows benefit.
This morning in the mail I received this letter that says the following:

"We are writing to tell you that your obligations are changing.
From 15th October full time work obligations are being introduced for those on certain benefits who have no dependent children.
Our records show this will apply to you.
To continue receiving you full benefit, you will need to start looking for full time work."

LL lmao

CliveM
05-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Just an automatically generated form letter Lakewood Lady. You can safely ignore it as I am certain you already know. Unfortunately that sort of letter creates a lot of stress for people that do not need it.

johcar
05-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Just an automatically generated form letter Lakewood Lady. You can safely ignore it as I am certain you already know. Unfortunately that sort of letter creates a lot of stress for people that do not need it.

What?

You're saying that WINZ staff are too stupid to properly define selection criteria for letters such as these??

Glad to see the proper level of governmental incompetence is being upheld!

Chilling_Silence
05-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Eh the average-joe who works at WINZ has no control over those automated emails. Blame the system designers for being morons.

lakewoodlady
05-09-2012, 04:38 PM

Yes I know, but I thought it was so funny I just had to share it!

LL

johcar
05-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Eh the average-joe who works at WINZ has no control over those automated emails. Blame the system designers for being morons.

I'm sure there are highly-paid managers at WINZ looking after this kind of thing. Unfortunately they probably have no idea about how to request a developer or a data analyst to design a query based on criteria/parameters that they (the managers) should be able to define. Though it's only what they're paid for, I suppose. We shouldn't have expectations too high...

Gobe1
05-09-2012, 04:51 PM
governmental incompetence is being upheld! what is the opposite of an oxymoron??

pctek
05-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Just an automatically generated form letter Lakewood Lady. You can safely ignore it
You think?
This is often the start of it. The fact she is on pension shortly will make no difference to their idiocracy. No doubt her pension will proceed but this thing stuck in the system will generate more notices and stuff ups.

LL - Best to get the person dealing with your pension to ensure it is obliterated completely. Ignoring is the worst thing to do.

Lurking
05-09-2012, 05:05 PM
About two weeks ago I applied for the NZ Super at the local office as I turn 65 in a few days. LL lmao

LL, your friends should have told you 6 months ago to fill out the retirement forms, or are they not required in this day and age !, going back a lot of years now when it was time for moir to retire.

You may miss a few weeks super when your forms are duly actioned.

Regards and welcome to the age of retirement.

Lurking.

lakewoodlady
05-09-2012, 06:08 PM
I applied in plenty of time, seen the person at winz and it has been processed. No problems. First payment will be on 25th Sept

LL

johcar
05-09-2012, 06:17 PM
governmental incompetence is being upheld! what is the opposite of an oxymoron?? I differentiated because of the different scales in effect. Ordinary incompetence can be, for example, being unable to write an essay in an exam without using txt-speak, or being unable to hold a conversation without liberal sprinkling of the word "like". Whereas governmental incompetence is the ability to stuff up something easy on a monumental scale, with no accountability...

lakewoodlady
05-09-2012, 07:45 PM
I have just had a phonecall from winz apologizing for sending the letter (damage control?)
So I have to give them some credit for that I guess!

LL

johcar
05-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Maybe they are monitoring PressF1 :D

Agent_24
05-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Maybe they are monitoring PressF1 :D

R2x1
05-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Well, they may not have known who you were, or what you are, but at least they knew where you are.
Perhaps you could help them along by gently advising them where to go?

WalOne
05-09-2012, 09:40 PM
Governmental incompetence is the ability to stuff up something easy on a monumental scale, with no accountability...

Well said, that man! I like it.

:thumbs:

kenj
06-09-2012, 07:41 AM
About two weeks ago I applied for the NZ Super at the local office as I turn 65 in a few days.

LL lmao

You are kidding us LL. You only look 32.5!!

Ken (nearly 35)

Digby
06-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Yes, we all know that doing that to someone who has a few months to go before they are 65 is ridiciloosl.

I heard that WINZ is phoning those peopel to apologise.

But I wonder what is the cut off date that they have decided on before the rule will apply.

6 months to go ?
Age 64 ?
Age 62?
Age 60 ?

lakewoodlady
06-09-2012, 10:05 AM
You are kidding us LL. You only look 32.5!!

Ken (nearly 35)

My avatar is lying....... oh noes! I have given my age away!

Trev
06-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Yes, we all know that doing that to someone who has a few months to go before they are 65 is ridiciloosl.

I heard that WINZ is phoning those peopel to apologise.

But I wonder what is the cut off date that they have decided on before the rule will apply.

6 months to go ?
Age 64 ?
Age 62?
Age 60 ?

Ve will not be telling. Only Ms Bennet knows.
:)

pctek
06-09-2012, 12:47 PM

6 months to go ?
Age 64 ?
Age 62?
Age 60 ?

Sanco
09-09-2012, 07:11 PM
About two weeks ago I applied for the NZ Super at the local office as I turn 65 in a few days. Currently on Widows benefit.
This morning in the mail I received this letter that says the following:

"We are writing to tell you that your obligations are changing.
From 15th October full time work obligations are being introduced for those on certain benefits who have no dependent children.
Our records show this will apply to you.
To continue receiving you full benefit, you will need to start looking for full time work."

LL lmao

Hi LL,

Put this into perspective. You have received an automated letter at the time you are receiving a widows benefit, obviously because you are not working, or working part time and need the help of tax payers in NZ. All Work and Income is doing is legally advise you that for those 5 days, or until you are considered that you qualify, your obligations have changed. It is relevant at the time.

I hope we morons ant Work and Income have provided you with good service in the hour of need and hope you can now enjoy your well earned NS ;)

R2x1
09-09-2012, 07:20 PM
My avatar is lying....... oh noes! I have given my age away!
What's your secret? I keep trying to give my age away, but every morning, there it is again :(

paulw
09-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Don't they send out a letter some months before hand advising you that you will be eligible for the super and to pleaze return the enclosed form etc??

lakewoodlady
09-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Don't they send out a letter some months before hand advising you that you will be eligible for the super and to pleaze return the enclosed form etc??

No, they don't, you have to apply.

LL

Bobh
09-09-2012, 09:50 PM
According to their web site it pays to apply two to three weeks before your birthday, so they can start your payments, if you qualify, from the date you turn 65.

http://www.workandincome.govt.nz/individuals/65-years-or-older/superannuation/applying-for-superannuation.html

Trev
09-09-2012, 09:52 PM
I know some people who have come to the super age have recieved a letter from the IRD reminding them that they might have to change there tax code.
:)

pctek
10-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Put this into perspective. You have received an automated letter at the time you are receiving a widows benefit, obviously because you are not working

Well several months ago my mother received a letter from them saying as she had been working, and receiving the pension, her pension was incorrectly calculated and she had to come in with statements so they could see how much she owed them in overpayments.

She was 79 at the time.

Now apparently this is how it works:

Working full-time or part-time
You can still receive your New Zealand Superannuation while you are working or receiving other income, but this may affect the amount of income tax you have to pay on your combined income.

If you have a spouse or partner who doesn't qualify for their own New Zealand Superannuation, you can choose to include them in your payments. If you do this, any other income either of you earn could affect how much you get.

If your spouse or partner is included in your payments, you can earn up to $100 (before tax) a week between you, before your New Zealand Superannuation is affected. If you earn more than $100 (before tax) a week your payments are reduced by 70 cents for every dollar of income over $100 (before tax).

However my father was 78 and did qualify.
Not to mention they got the pension from age 60, this has been the case since then - my mum working part time.

See? WINZ do this type of thing all the time....it's usually a mission to get it sorted too.

Sanco
10-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Well several months ago my mother received a letter from them saying as she had been working, and receiving the pension, her pension was incorrectly calculated and she had to come in with statements so they could see how much she owed them in overpayments.

She was 79 at the time.

Now apparently this is how it works:

Working full-time or part-time
You can still receive your New Zealand Superannuation while you are working or receiving other income, but this may affect the amount of income tax you have to pay on your combined income.

If you have a spouse or partner who doesn't qualify for their own New Zealand Superannuation, you can choose to include them in your payments. If you do this, any other income either of you earn could affect how much you get.

If your spouse or partner is included in your payments, you can earn up to $100 (before tax) a week between you, before your New Zealand Superannuation is affected. If you earn more than $100 (before tax) a week your payments are reduced by 70 cents for every dollar of income over $100 (before tax).

However my father was 78 and did qualify.
Not to mention they got the pension from age 60, this has been the case since then - my mum working part time.

See? WINZ do this type of thing all the time....it's usually a mission to get it sorted too.

Yes, if you are in receipt of a NS and work you must pay secondary tax to either your income or your NS - your choice there. People do get advised but sometimes the amount of information given is overwhelming and should be cut to the important things.

I am not disagreeing with any of you that we get it wrong at times, we do. You cannot help getting some things wrong when on an average day a small-ish service centre does in excess of 800 payment related actions, a case manager (I am not one thank the Lord) talks to 15-20 people in trouble and throw in the midst a few expletives coming your way and the odd spit in the face. One loses focus at time and makes mistakes. :)

Of all the government agencies I think that work and income is the most accountable, but we need inteeligent people to come work with us though, this would help us provide a better service. Unfortunately most people with brains would know better than come to work with us :(

lordnoddy
10-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Yes, if you are in receipt of a NS and work you must pay secondary tax to either your income or your NS - your choice there. People do get advised but sometimes the amount of information given is overwhelming and should be cut to the important things.

I am not disagreeing with any of you that we get it wrong at times, we do. You cannot help getting some things wrong when on an average day a small-ish service centre does in excess of 800 payment related actions, a case manager (I am not one thank the Lord) talks to 15-20 people in trouble and throw in the midst a few expletives coming your way and the odd spit in the face. One loses focus at time and makes mistakes. :)

Of all the government agencies I think that work and income is the most accountable, but we need inteeligent people to come work with us though, this would help us provide a better service. Unfortunately most people with brains would know better than come to work with us :(

+1 over and over again...

Chilling_Silence
10-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Yeah it's quite funny, most people are happy to ***** on about Govt. spending, but when it comes to crunch time and cut-backs are announced for that kind of thing, people don't seem to realize just *what* kind of an effect that will have on the front-line services like that ;)

johcar
10-09-2012, 10:40 AM
I have had mixed service from WINZ (same office, different case manager a few years apart). Was in hospital the first time, seriously ill and my wife managed to organise some payments after jumping through a few (not unreasonable) hoops - passports, birth certificates - including kids, proof of income.

But when I went back to the same office a couple of years later to apply for some dole to tide me over, I had to supply the same damn documents all over again. **** me - nothing had changed apart from a couple of years passing.

Stupid processes! I will NEVER go back to WINZ.

I guess that might be part of the strategy - make it too difficult and people will give up in disgust.

Sanco
10-09-2012, 10:54 AM
I have had mixed service from WINZ (same office, different case manager a few years apart). Was in hospital the first time, seriously ill and my wife managed to organise some payments after jumping through a few (not unreasonable) hoops - passports, birth certificates - including kids, proof of income.

But when I went back to the same office a couple of years later to apply for some dole to tide me over, I had to supply the same damn documents all over again. **** me - nothing had changed apart from a couple of years passing.

Stupid processes! I will NEVER go back to WINZ.

I guess that might be part of the strategy - make it too difficult and people will give up in disgust.

Probably - lol!

Chilling_Silence
10-09-2012, 10:59 AM

Yeah but you never know, you might have a *new* birth certificate that shows a new D.O.B by then ;)

johcar
10-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Yeah but you never know, you might have a *new* birth certificate that shows a new D.O.B by then ;)

I can assure you Chill - I'm not born-again.... :D

Gobe1
10-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Yeah it's quite funny, most people are happy to ***** on about Govt. spending, but when it comes to crunch time and cut-backs are announced for that kind of thing, people don't seem to realize just *what* kind of an effect that will have on the front-line services like that ;)

+1

pctek
10-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Yes, if you are in receipt of a NS and work you must pay secondary tax to either your income or your NS

No. They were both qualified for the pension. Therefore there is not secondary tax, nor any deduction from the pension.

If however one qualifies and one is less than pension age and both go on it, then if the non-qualifying one gets some work, money is deducted fro both.
See?

They had it wrong, took a while but my mum got it sorted eventually.

Sanco
10-09-2012, 01:14 PM
No. They were both qualified for the pension. Therefore there is not secondary tax, nor any deduction from the pension.

If however one qualifies and one is less than pension age and both go on it, then if the non-qualifying one gets some work, money is deducted fro both.
See?

They had it wrong, took a while but my mum got it sorted eventually.

Believe me pctek, no matter your partner situation if you receive NS and work you pay secondary tax. It may not be from pension but from the income from work and at that point is IRD taking care of things. ;)

The base line for that is that benefits and pensions are considered incomes to a point and if you have a second income you pay secondary tax.

Sanco
10-09-2012, 01:20 PM
I can assure you Chill - I'm not born-again.... :D

It is funny how some people managed to be born again up to 75 times in the past... ;)

SurferJoe46
11-09-2012, 11:00 AM
So youse guys got snafus too?

I got a letter on my 65th birth anniversary that told me I am losing my '100% Disabled with a tax-exempt status' to 'Fully Retired with a 100% tax exempt status'.

It's nice to know that nothing's changed and that I'm still on the books though.

Now if they try to force me to join the military - all will be par.

But --- catch this: I cannot get a Montana driver's license since I cannot prove I was born. Yeah --- I don't have a birth certificate since I was born on a secret US Navy submarine base in where I can't say.

Montana's reason? I might be an illegal alien.

Lessee ------------ I went through US schools all the way to 4 1/2 years in college, joined the US Navy in 1968 and got my DD-214 (separations papers in 1972) that say I was born in XXXXXX (which I'm not allowed to say - it's a secret, ya know) and the USN never asked to see a birth certificate.

Then I went through a few schools for various licenses and they took my word for it that I was born here and all.

Then when I 'got' retired with a disability, even the United States Social Security Nonadministration couldn't get XXXXX to issue me a birth certificate, and just allowed me write out a statement of fact.

If the Feds can't get XXXXXXX (the unnamed state here) to issue a birth certificate, then it's a fair bet no-one can!

The score:

The USN let me in without a birth cert.
California let me have a driver's license without a birth cert.
Arizona let me have a driver's license without a birth cert.
BUT ---- Montana WON'T let me have one because I can't prove I belong here let along was ever born.

Lakewood Lady - get this straightened out as soon as you can since I bet your gummermint cubical clowns can screw you up as well as the state of Montana can do my driver's license.

I can't get a fishing license since (get this) I don't have a state driver's license.

Other than that - everything's OK.

dugimodo
11-09-2012, 11:25 AM
My one personal experience with Winz was not positive, they seemed geared to prevent people cheating the system and to try and stop any expenditure on their part far more than actually helping anyone. It seems very much like you have to do your own research into what you're entitled to because they are not inclined to tell you.

In my case I was made redundant with 4 weeks pay as my only payout. I was unemployed for a while, worked part time doing security for a while, and got a minimum wage full time Job for a while. Over the period of a year I was probably entitled to some Dole payments, definately qualified for some accomodation allowance, and received absolutley nothing. Winz were very keen to help me find a Job and not keen at all to tell me anything about what money I was entitled to.

Then there's my Mother who had terminal cancer and was struggling along on a benefit. Until an ex-girlfriend of mine who knew people in Winz got involved and helped her onto a sickness benefit and got help towards medical expenses it was was never mentioned as an option.

I understand they deal constantly with the "Dole Bludger" type and that it probably makes them cynical, but to me they need to be a bit more forthcoming to people about what the entitlements are.