PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Deleting Empty Desktop folder

tirikatene
05-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Tried everything to delete an empty folder on my Vista desktop, says 'could not find this folder'

* Have tried changing setting in the folder properties, ie: read only and hidden, etc
* Dragging to a new folder or recycle bin to attempt a delete, but won't move
* Safe mode it's still the same problem
* Tried scan disk and defrag'
* Antivirus and Malware checks
* I can move it around the desktop, but do nothing else with it?

Any help will be appreciate to get rid of this annoying folder

lakewoodlady
05-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Try ccleaner, it gets rid of left over bits of junk.

LL

ThePanda
05-09-2012, 10:11 AM
You might wanna try:-

*deleting the folder in safe mode.
*Scan with Registry Doctor and repair registry with it(if you've already done it, just ignore)
*right click on desktop and choose refresh(just incase :P)

There's quite alot of Vista users facing the same problem, you are clearly not alone in this. :3

Speedy Gonzales
05-09-2012, 10:12 AM
Use a program called unlocker

Paul.Cov
05-09-2012, 10:13 AM
See if you can rename it. Then try again to delete it.

Alternative if Windows insists it doesn't exist is to make another folder with the same name, and see what happens then.

Finally, try doing the old scandisc / chkdisc routines with the scan and fix options enabled.

sk69ersnz
05-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Use a program called unlocker

+1

dugimodo
05-09-2012, 10:37 AM
I have occasionally had success using the dos command from the command prompt when windows wouldn't delete something. You have to navigate to the folder and find the file with dos commands though which can be tricky.
Run CMD as administrator - right click it in programs/accessories and run as administrator.

Something like;

CD C:\Users\username\desktop or just CD desktop if you are already in C:\users\username which is quite likely
Dir (to list the contents and help you identify the folder)
rmdir /s "foldername" Use the speechmarks

It doesn't always work any better than windows file manager which is probably using the same command anyway, but worth a try.

8ftmetalhaed
05-09-2012, 10:40 AM
linux live cd's also work.

tirikatene
05-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions
Tried CCleaner and Umlock but no success.

Finally got rid of the folder after a system restore and then using Advance System Care 5
Not through the cleaner features but by right clicking the folder and using the shredder function associated with this program

Had tried that earlier and nothing happened, but after another system restore if finally did.

pcuser42
05-09-2012, 12:20 PM
Sometimes the folder has actually been deleted but it sticks, in this case it's as simple as pressing F5 to refresh the desktop.

Agent_24
05-09-2012, 01:40 PM
File-system corruption can also cause this kind of problem. It may be wise to run CHKDSK on your drive in case there is some issue. If left alone, these kinds of problems often get worse over time.

tirikatene
15-09-2012, 08:28 AM
Got rid of the corrupt folder by the method I mentioned above.
However, it came back, as is apparently often the case.

Tried Speedy Gonzale's suggestion again to try the Unlocker programme and it worked great.
First time I tried Unlocker I didn't take the time to request what task I required.

It's a great program
Thanks Speedy