PDA

View Full Version : Telecom vs Orcon

Greg
05-09-2012, 08:55 AM
Hi. We're with Telecom for our broadband and phone package, which we're very happy with. However we've been offered a deal from Orcon which will save us $15 per month plus free national toll calls. D'you folks reckon it's worth the change?

lakewoodlady
05-09-2012, 09:00 AM
That sounds good, gotta be better than Telecom.

LL

Chilling_Silence
05-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Yeah I've been enjoying using Orcons Genius plans, so have a lot of people I know of. The router isn't perfect but it's a damn sight better than most free ISP-supplied ones, and they remotely configure your username / password / phone details.

Greg
05-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Yeah I've been enjoying using Orcons Genius plans, so have a lot of people I know of. The router isn't perfect but it's a damn sight better than most free ISP-supplied ones, and they remotely configure your username / password / phone details.What concerns me, now that I've looked at the Genius plan, is how effective is the phone calling over the Internet? Obviously if there's an Internet outage it'll affect phone calls, right? And I'd assume that phone usage would tap into the monthly bandwidth allowance.

DeSade
05-09-2012, 12:30 PM
You are correct with a outage you do lose the phone that is the only downside thou.
The phone uses bugger all bandwidth and it is clear as a bell, overall a great telecommunications experience.

Agent_24
05-09-2012, 12:45 PM
If you're "very happy" with your current one, why change? You might find the other is cheaper for a reason...

Greg
05-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Well I've now looked into it at depth and yeah Agent - will be staying as is.

Thanks all.

Chilling_Silence
05-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Nah the bandwidth used by your Genius phone line (VoIP) is free and doesn't count towards your allowance. It also does QoS on the router to prioritize the VoIP line, so even if you're hammering your line it should be fine :)

pctek
05-09-2012, 02:17 PM
We had Orcon VOIP at work, for months and months it was endless problems. We had all kinds of people in looking into it. certain of them said a number of businesses had the same issues.
In the end we ditched it, end of problems.

Chilling_Silence
05-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Eh it's not hard to do VoIP and do it right, but with so many people without a clue trying to jump on the bandwagon, it's no wonder it doesn't work for some people and leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

Most of the time it's because the people using VoIP are too cheap to actually invest in some solid infrastructure, it's not tough...

Agent_24
05-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Can't say I like the concept, at least not as a total replacement for a real landline.

Chilling_Silence
05-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Any reason why?

Nomad
05-09-2012, 05:07 PM
If you can get fiber, Orcon may still be offering free BB till end of this year if you sign a contract.

It could be guess if you are really into the geek stuff. While fiber connections are free as I understand. To get our phones working we probably need to fork out $250 for a telecomm/electrician to loop back the lines into the genius box so the telephones in the house can still work. Yeah and the no power issue, you could get a UPS for the Genius and as I understand the telephone exchange are protected as well. For us it's that it's working now, why change and we're not exactly a high usage household and if we leave the folks don't use the Internet so it needs to be converted back to copper wire.

And even if it was just ADSL Genius, Orcon don't deal with customers with just the phone and should we leave the folks want the phone only, they may need to rejoin Telecom and pay a connection fee again ... And pricewise, it's not too much difference between Genius monthly plans and ADSL (with landline) deals when they have promotions.

Agent_24
05-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Any reason why?

Standard phone on copper wire is a simpler technology that can get itself into less trouble.

VoIP is useful, sure, but for the most part overcomplicated.

bk T
05-09-2012, 06:22 PM
If you are 'very happy' with Telecom at the moment, think twice before switching to another provider - who knows what will you get!

I would suggest you stay where you are.

I'm with Telecom and have no complains.

mzee
05-09-2012, 11:30 PM
I had a bad time with Orcon Genius. The Broadband was Ok but the phone was unreliable and they could never get it right. I changed to Hosting Direct Naked broadband with 2talk for the phone. Never had any problems, and when I send them an Email I always get a reply same day. Great service.

paulw
06-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Standard phone on copper wire is a simpler technology that can get itself into less trouble.

VoIP is useful, sure, but for the most part overcomplicated.

If you can access Linked In there's an interesting discussion on POTs vs VOIP

http://preview.tinyurl.com/99gyfbs

Chilling_Silence
06-09-2012, 09:54 PM
^^ a whole lot of non-industry people commenting on it though, many either slightly mis-guided or talking about things that don't really seem to be relevant in our country here ;)

Having worked in the industry, I can see both sides. Funnily enough the majority of the "quality" issues that I see are actually from POTS / ISDN, not from VoIP lines.

icow
06-09-2012, 10:49 PM
Telecom seems to have improved imo over the last few months. I'm actually getting 14mbps down and 0.95mbps up, which is actually kind of close to what I assume that speed cap is (15mbps down and 2mbps up is standard right? I couldn't actually find anything about speed on the telecom site). Would be nice to see uploads that are over 1mbps without having to go onto one of the 100mbps down plans like the ones tesltra offers and then you get 10mbps down right? Yet to see this anywhere in Tauranga.

Agent_24
07-09-2012, 12:35 AM
Funnily enough the majority of the "quality" issues that I see are actually from POTS / ISDN, not from VoIP lines.

Define quality? A crackly\noisy line will still be usable for a normal phone fairly well, while ADSL will drop out continuously and your VoIP will be useless.

From the same point of view, analogue TV can have bad reception but still watch-able with a grainy picture, while digital with bad reception stops and starts and you get green squares and white blocks and audio that drops out.

Also, copper is much easier for anyone to work with, than fibre. If I accidentally chopped my copper phone cable in half I could easily reconnect it with simple tools in 5 minutes or so.

Maybe just me, but I prefer to own\use things that are easier to fix.

Chilling_Silence
07-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Telecom seems to have improved imo over the last few months. I'm actually getting 14mbps down and 0.95mbps up, which is actually kind of close to what I assume that speed cap is (15mbps down and 2mbps up is standard right? I couldn't actually find anything about speed on the telecom site). Would be nice to see uploads that are over 1mbps without having to go onto one of the 100mbps down plans like the ones tesltra offers and then you get 10mbps down right? Yet to see this anywhere in Tauranga.
Telstra Cable isn't in Tauranga, only in Chch / Welly
Telecom speeds are a result of their cabinetization 24mbps is the theoretical ADSL2+ max, with 1mbps upload.
You can however go VDSL2 which has a much higher maximum (I went from 9mbps on ADSL2+ to 24mbps on VDSL2), and a WAY faster upload (I was on 1mbps on ADSL2+, got roughly 10mbps on VDSL2).

Define quality? A crackly\noisy line will still be usable for a normal phone fairly well, while ADSL will drop out continuously and your VoIP will be useless.
Sorta but not always. Packet Loss of 1-2%, whilst not ideal, isn't too difficult to conceal and sounds infinitely clearer and better than a crappy phone line...

From the same point of view, analogue TV can have bad reception but still watch-able with a grainy picture, while digital with bad reception stops and starts and you get green squares and white blocks and audio that drops out.
Agreed

Also, copper is much easier for anyone to work with, than fibre. If I accidentally chopped my copper phone cable in half I could easily reconnect it with simple tools in 5 minutes or so.
Yeah for sure. I've done fibre splicing, it's nowhere near as easy / simple as working with copper, but it doesn't mean I like using copper any more.

Maybe just me, but I prefer to own\use things that are easier to fix.
Eh in my experience we've found it much easier to get Chorus to fix a line if you've got internet going over it and it's having issues as opposed to having a faulty ISDN line.

Of the 5 worst experiences I've had in the last 2 months, every single one of them has been related to ISDN / POTS. (Well 1 was POTS, the rest were ISDN).
VoIP still has it's problems but they're usually far easier to resolve.

Agent_24
07-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Sorta but not always. Packet Loss of 1-2%, whilst not ideal, isn't too difficult to conceal and sounds infinitely clearer and better than a crappy phone line...

Well I don't know about you but whenever I've had a noisy line the ADSL would just drop out of synch all the time, packet loss wasn't the problem, it was loss of the entire connection.

Phone still worked fine the whole time though

Chilling_Silence
07-09-2012, 10:47 AM
^^ Exactly what I'm talking about though. It's much easier to get a fault like that fixed, whereas if you have a line with a bit of 'noise' on it and that's all you've got, basically Chorus dont give a rats ass.

Have a DSL link though that's not staying up and they *will* take an interest.

R2x1
07-09-2012, 01:13 PM
^^ Exactly what I'm talking about though. It's much easier to get a fault like that fixed, whereas if you have a line with a bit of 'noise' on it and that's all you've got, basically Chorus dont give a rats ass.

Have a DSL link though that's not staying up and they *will* take an interest.
I disagree - quite the converse. All they would send out was some rat's ass, and of a caliber that leads me to suspect the rat wasn't even aware his ass had fallen off. ;) The helpdesk was just one stage further downhill from the ass. Heaps of it.
Every day without Telecom is a jewel beyond price.

Chilling_Silence
07-09-2012, 01:40 PM
This applies regardless of who your ISP / Telco are wholesaling their lines from.

johcar
02-10-2012, 11:50 AM
New stuff from Telecom: http://www.telecom.co.nz/packages/packages/plansandpricing/createyourown/

Includes a 500GB option!

Agent_24
02-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Just note that the calling rate for these new plans seems to be 24c per minute National Landline Calling, as opposed to the Total Home Broadband which is "18c per minute up to a maximum of $2.50 for 2 hours, then 18c per minute after that."

Also note that Total Home packages are now retired, meaning you can't go back to one if you change from them now.

Even so, the old Total Home Broadband 120GB is $105 while this new 500GB plan is $119. Not bad in comparison, I think

There is however no mention of the premium Yahoo! services on the new plan pages, I wonder if they are trying to get rid of these as well?

Chilling_Silence
02-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Wow impressive! I'd take that any day over the $99 with Orcon for 200GB, but 'tis a shame I'm locked in for a wee while now... That and I usually sit around 160 -> 180GB as-is, so no *urgent* need to upgrade ;)

bk T
02-10-2012, 02:40 PM
If you don't opt for national calling, the 150GB plan ($99.00) is cheaper than the previous 120GB Total Home Package ($105.00). Just phoned Telecom to change my plan and I'll save $6.00 per month with additional 30GB of Broadband data.

Chilling_Silence
02-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Score!! :D

pctek
02-10-2012, 05:43 PM
New stuff from Telecom: http://www.telecom.co.nz/packages/packages/plansandpricing/createyourown/

Includes a 500GB option!
Hmmm, adding it up and comparing current total, I'd save $5, but also end up with 5GB less data.

sam m
02-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Hmmm, adding it up and comparing current total, I'd save $5, but also end up with 5GB less data.

How do you get less? I am on Total Home at $115 with add on $10 for total 80GB so I am looking at going from 80GB to 150GB for $12 less.

Agent_24
02-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Even I am struggling to use up my 120GB a month, but the lower plan of 50GB wouldn't be enough. Probably keep the current one for now. 500GB would be overkill.

sam m
02-10-2012, 07:05 PM
How do you get less? I am on Total Home at $115 with add on $10 for total 80GB so I am looking at going from 80GB to 150GB for $12 less.
oops - Not $12 saving, $2 saving - I'm in Hamilton. Still a big data increase although not sure what I will use it for, might download a few linux distros :devil

bk T
02-10-2012, 08:02 PM
Even I am struggling to use up my 120GB a month, but the lower plan of 50GB wouldn't be enough. Probably keep the current one for now. 500GB would be overkill.

Take the 150GB, it's $6 cheaper than the 120GB home package.

Agent_24
03-10-2012, 09:01 AM
Take the 150GB, it's $6 cheaper than the 120GB home package.

It does sound like a good idea.... going to the 150GB plan is a 5.714 % decrease in price for a 25 % increase in data

And for those who really like their gigabytes, the 500GB plan compared to 120GB is a 316.667 % increase in data with only a 13.333 % increase in price!

KarameaDave
03-10-2012, 10:14 AM
oops - Not $12 saving, $2 saving - I'm in Hamilton. Still a big data increase although not sure what I will use it for, might download a few linux distros :devil:lol: