PDA

View Full Version : basic scan and/or raven bleu

jcr1
05-09-2012, 09:33 AM
I went to download Angry Birds, onto my new Asus Zen Book, last night.
I'm usually fairly careful about this sort of thing. But I must've slipped up, as about halfway through the process Microsoft Security Essentials popped up and screamed a warning at me that something bad was happening.
I flew into a blind panic, stopped everything. Hit remove the object. Got out quick and rebooted, all looked well until I tried to log into flickr using chrome. Where I was redirected to a search page called Basic Scan.
I then used spybot and found some malware, which I removed, with difficulty.
I then scanned with Malwarebytes and removed the stuff that I was having trouble with, with Spybot.
Rebooted, but Basic Scan was still active; so I uninstalled Chrome, rebooted and re-installed Chrome and the problem seems to have gone away.
At the moment I've just done another scan with Spybot, which brought up; "DoubleClick 2 entries Browser" (which I removed with Spybot) and "Fraud.BasicScan 1 entries Malware C" (which Spybot is having difficulty in removing).
Chrome is working fine.
I scanned again with Malwarebytes, which shows the system as clean?

Speedy Gonzales
05-09-2012, 09:49 AM
It maybe in add/remove programs / programs and features. If its still there, uninstall it. Looks like its a browser hijacker / fake search engine

jcr1
05-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Thanks Speedy.
There was nothing in Programs and Features. But I looked into Program Files(x86) and there wasan empty directory called BasicScan. Which I removed.
I'm wondering whether Malwarebytes got rid of the nasty stuff in the directory, but Spybot still saw it as a threat?