PDA

View Full Version : official information act

notechyet
05-09-2012, 08:57 AM
Hi All

We had an "anonymous" caller asking the local council to inspect our property as we still had some parts of paddocks accessible to creeks(15cows). While the compliance officer was here he pointed out other shortcomings. This has major consequences re 20 year old buildings on the property and is going to cost us multiple at least 20-30k's.
Now I would like to find out who the caller was. Does anyone know if the council has to release this information under the official information act?

Thanks

inphinity
05-09-2012, 09:18 AM
As far as I understand they're not even obligated to confirm the identity of the 'anonymous' caller, so there may be no information for them to give you about him/her.

CliveM
05-09-2012, 09:31 AM
If the caller was anonymous the council will not know who it was so they could not tell you even should they want to.
Pretty lousy thing to do without talking to you first but not untypical for the PC loony greeny radical fringe groups to do.

gary67
05-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Must have been a Key voter they do loony things

notechyet
05-09-2012, 09:57 AM
[QUOTE=CliveM;1116473....... greeny radical fringe groups ....[/QUOTE]
CliveM, I think you are very close. Thanks to the others also.
We contacted either by visiting or phone/email all in the neighborhood. No one admitted.
So, by the looks of it there is no chance with the OIA?
We know how much we can count on the neighbours by now.:D

DeSade
05-09-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm no greenie, not by a long shot but these laws are there to protect the waterways which cost a **** load to clean up forcing the tax payer and the country to foot the bill.
So no offence but I for one am glad that you are being made to comply with the law before your ignorance and sheer arrogance in thinking you are above the law causes another waterway to become polluted that we as a country have to pay to clean up.

Also I would question your need to know who the caller was, what do you intend to do with the information? Intimidate them, threaten them? I see no legitimate reason for you to know who the caller was in this instance.

I do agree with Clive that the right thing would have been to approach you in the first instance however I based on your post here I do not think you would have "done the right thing" without council involvement.

notechyet
05-09-2012, 11:14 AM
....So no offence but I for one am glad that you are being made to comply with the law before your ignorance and sheer arrogance in thinking you are above the law causes another waterway to become polluted that we as a country have to pay to clean up.....
...... however I based on your post here I do not think you would have "done the right thing" without council .....

I am also supportive of fencing, just that I haven't mentioned that we planted approx. 30,000 trees(on 28 ha) in the last 20 years and allmost all other creeks are protected on our property. Just part of the creeks in three paddocks are not finished yet.
Is it not a measure of scale? How about all the riverbeds that need stock to keep weeds like old mans beard and blackberyy under control(same as on our property). They can't be fenced off!
So, where do you suggest to start.....?

DeSade
05-09-2012, 11:43 AM
The law states that property where cattle is kept must have the natural waterways fenced off from those cattle.
Neither you or I get to interpret that law, it is what it is.

Maybe its as simple as putting up a straight fence of wire in the best possible scenario, but other times it will be necessary to clear to the water and then fence it off.
The inspectors know what they are doing and if they have pointed out changes that are needed then those changes are needed.

Can you honestly say if this person had come to you directly you would have agreed to spend the 20 or 30k to become compliant without an inspector/council being involved?

BTW planting 30k trees is awesome and I commend you heartily for that effort, we need a lot more trees. However it does not remove your responsibility for the fencing.

Where I suggest to start, I have no idea I know nothing personally about agriculture, but the inspector does and he/she has already told you where to start and where to finish.

Mirddes
05-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Neither you or I get to interpret that law, it is what it is.

say what?

R2x1
05-09-2012, 07:21 PM
The . . The inspectors know what they are doing and if they have pointed out changes that are needed then those changes are needed. . . Where I suggest to start, I have no idea I know nothing personally about agriculture, but the inspector does and he/she has already told you where to start and where to finish.
If your statement is correct then we have here the most unbelievable piece of news since the land wars.
Which part of the country is this paragon to be found in? It is amazing that he/she hasn't been culled by the other inspectors as an aberration of Olympian proportions.
;)

DeSade
05-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Granted I am assuming those hired know their jobs.
If not then I am sure there are legal remedies to go through to change decisions of inspectors that have got it wrong.
Knowing who called however does not help either way.

notechyet
05-09-2012, 10:28 PM
...Knowing who called however does not help either way....
It just makes neighbourly relations clear.

Mirddes
06-09-2012, 12:06 AM
i strongly suggest reading the legislature and interpreting it for yourself.

lore/law is interpreted.

notechyet
06-09-2012, 09:27 PM
There is often a branch of a tree or or a doze of the morning's deodorant going over some neighbours fence and give great opportunity to call the compliance officer.

Mirddes
06-09-2012, 09:43 PM
morning deodorant?