PDA

View Full Version : Yay, new work PC...

SolMiester
04-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Always exciting to get a new machine.....I usually just get a SFF HP every couple of years, however as they only hold 1 HDD, running DEV VMs kills the performance of the desktop....
I just noticed Ascent are giving 5 yrs warranty on all their product, which is amazing...well done Ascent..

Anyway, got the IB i5 3470 @ 3.2Ghz along with Asrock Z77 Pro4 M-ATX board, 4 x 4GB Corsair Vengence RAM, Intel 330 120GB SSD, Seagate 3TB storage, ASUS 630 GPU with 2 x DVI ( so can now run 3 x 22 LCD). Got the Silverstone Precision PS07 mini tower and a USB 3 2TB external drive...

Will be a busy couple of days re-installing all my apps......

Cliffs: poor effort for a "look at my new PC thread"

ronyville
04-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Nice... I need to buy a new one for myself at work. Been using my current one since 2007, the only thing I do each year is reinstall the OS. Got 5 VMs running and other VMs for testing stuff and also things like handbreak. I am thinking of just buying a 17.3" desktop replacement laptop instead.

How much did your new PC cost you?

SolMiester
04-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Ummm, not sure about desktop replacements, I have a PC at home, in my sig, which the wife commandeers most of the time, but I have a 5 yr old lappy if i need to walk around the office and an iPad...really wanted to get an external USB3 drive so I could get some decent transfer speeds...would love to get thunderbolt, but just too expensive at the moment....I have a spare ESX host which I usually do most testing on, but its no fun going into the cold server room to transfer VHDs for testing......
Wonder if I will miss the 4th monitor.....I use that to monitor the ESX Hosts and VMs 17/22/22/17, so moving to 22/22/22 should give me more desk space, but I will lose a working reference panel.....

Renmoo
05-09-2012, 12:36 AM
Pics?

SolMiester
05-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Pics?
PSU didn't get shipped until today, so won't be until tomorrow....we'll do a before and after...

SolMiester
06-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Damn it, I think I have a dead board!!!....

ronyville
06-09-2012, 09:54 AM
OOPS!.... send it back? Better to have it dead on arrival than it dying on you after you have spent all that time assembling and installing everything.

dugimodo
06-09-2012, 09:54 AM
I'm sure you realise this already, but if you look around there are a lot of SFF cases that allow multiple internal HDD's. I've seen as many as 5 3.5" bays shoe horned into a small casehttp://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA34031 . I like them myself, am tempted to build another. My last one was in a sugo SG06 which can hold only 1 2.5" and 1 3.5" and it was a very tight fit with a gaming graphics card and two drives squeezed in but it all worked very well.

SolMiester
06-09-2012, 10:39 AM
OOPS!.... send it back? Better to have it dead on arrival than it dying on you after you have spent all that time assembling and installing everything.

But I did spend all that time assembling and cable management.too..

SolMiester
06-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Nice... I need to buy a new one for myself at work. Been using my current one since 2007, the only thing I do each year is reinstall the OS. Got 5 VMs running and other VMs for testing stuff and also things like handbreak. I am thinking of just buying a 17.3" desktop replacement laptop instead.

How much did your new PC cost you?

$1650 including external usb3 2tb drive

SolMiester
07-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Yay, replacement board working sweet.....will post pics once I have an O/S and the screens sorted

ChazTheGeek
07-09-2012, 12:26 PM
But I did spend all that time assembling and cable management.too..

Looks good enough to eat!

SolMiester
07-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Cant believe it, the 3TB storage drive is dead too!!!...GGGrrrrrrrrrr....

Anyway, will virtualise the old PC and run it on this one, it will take me ages to get all my software installed....check the 3 panels...nice upgrade from 2 big and 2 small..

ChazTheGeek
07-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Nice panels! Pity about the HDD...

ronyville
07-09-2012, 03:37 PM
I see you have a clean work area... nice! Mines a little different...:)

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/upload/work_desk.JPG

And Yes... it was KFC zinger combo for lunch today..

ChazTheGeek
07-09-2012, 04:02 PM
:D just a little different...

SolMiester
07-09-2012, 04:20 PM
I see you have a clean work area... nice! Mines a little different...:)

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/upload/work_desk.JPG

Haha, you just cant see that I have push everything to the sides, the floor behind me is a shocker!...But hey, I clean it up once a year, or for photos!...

SolMiester
07-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Ahhhhh, just seen your photo, how do you work with just one panel?.....Oh, the desktop by the desktop looks well used!

ronyville
07-09-2012, 04:44 PM
I used to have dual screens but got rid of one (cant remember why), now i have too much crap on the table and no room for another screen. Yup, thats my 6 year old work PC, have removed all the front and side panels to provide some cooling :)

ChazTheGeek
07-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Cheap cooling...:)

icow
07-09-2012, 06:08 PM

I approve :thumbs:

nedkelly
07-09-2012, 09:06 PM
I would love a new pc at work but because im just a CSR to get one the entire floor needs to be done, and I highly doubt that that will happen.

SolMiester
10-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Well, thats it for me and Ascent....The supplier is claiming the socket pins were damaged by me and will not refund the original board....?!..

Must have spend over 15k+ with them over the years, but if they wont support me, then I guess I wont be supporting them.....

bk T
10-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Well, thats it for me and Ascent....The supplier is claiming the socket pins were damaged by me and will not refund the original board....?!..

Must have spend over 15k+ with them over the years, but if they wont support me, then I guess I wont be supporting them.....

Did you actually damage the socket pins?

SolMiester
10-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Did you actually damage the socket pins?

Well thats just it, I dont think I did, it went straight in, i didnt have to muck around with it at all and I have been doing this for like 20+ years, I couldnt tell you how many CPUs I have removed and re-installed etc....
They have sent pictures and it does look like the socket has some damage, however I have read a number of posts on the net with the same thing happening...
If I did, I would really like to know how?!

bk T
10-09-2012, 04:57 PM
I respect what you said. I am not questioning your experience and honesty, not at all.

You have a good case and I think Ascent should refund you the original board.

SolMiester
10-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Yeah, I think Ascent is probably in a hard place if the supplier won't authorize a refund, however after 10 yrs and a bit of money their way, I would of thought I would of got the benefit of the doubt.....I guess not....never mind, there are other e-trailers out there.
Strange that I didn't have any issues with the replacement board, I don't like the socket 1155, it seems very fragile and I don't like bringing the lever down on the socket...

ChazTheGeek
10-09-2012, 05:59 PM
...Strange that I didn't have any issues with the replacement board, I don't like the socket 1155, it seems very fragile and I don't like bringing the lever down on the socket...

That makes my blood curdle when you say that...

SolMiester
14-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Just a heads up to anyone returning motherboards, to ensure you photograph your socket before returning, as I am wondering if I have falling victim to suppliers damaging returns in order to get out of replacement
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1694667

ChazTheGeek
14-09-2012, 08:12 PM
That is a dirty trick.

wainuitech
14-09-2012, 11:48 PM
Sounds a bit suspect, like they are trying to rip you off -- being experienced yourself, a person would have to drop or bang something onto the pins to damage them.

Being socket 1155, a person would have to try and force the CPU in the socket by putting it in the wrong way around and the alignment notches being at the wrong end or sideways to do any damage. Once again you being experienced that sort of thing would be seen even before clipping down the clamp.

Just curious, did you put back the plastic protection cover over the CPU socket before sending it back ?

SolMiester
15-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Sounds a bit suspect, like they are trying to rip you off -- being experienced yourself, a person would have to drop or bang something onto the pins to damage them.

Being socket 1155, a person would have to try and force the CPU in the socket by putting it in the wrong way around and the alignment notches being at the wrong end or sideways to do any damage. Once again you being experienced that sort of thing would be seen even before clipping down the clamp.

Just curious, did you put back the plastic protection cover over the CPU socket before sending it back ?

Of course, but still wish I photographed the socket...I have now straightened the pins well enough I believe, but the upshot is, even if the board doesn't boot up, I will never be sure if due to the socket or the suspect original DOA I was returning it for...lol

I dont know if The suppliers damaged the board to avoid RMA or not, I have no prove, I didn't even realize this sort of thing went on, but I will be sure to protect myself in future...

SolMiester
30-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Thought Id update everyone....The Boss decieded to update the conroe build I did for his homw pc back in 2006, so got another 16GB pack and i5 3470...Got the board setup on open bench, cpu fan and 1 stick of 4gb as i only have an old 350 PSU attached with 20 pin mobo plug...so, boots up fine, OC to 4ghz fine...attach SSD and install windows fine and Im thinking at this point sh*t, i must have stuffed the socket pins as they stated as after straightening them up its working....how embarrassing....
Turn the unit off, install the other 12gb......oooo, no boot?, what?...remove 3 sticks, boots fine, move the single stick around the slots and it appears the A1 & A2 memory slots are faulty, and when I built it originally, I had all slots filled which is why it would boot....

Dang...I have e-mailed Ascent, to see what they say, not holding my breath!

icow
30-11-2012, 10:57 AM
It's kind of pathetic that this is still going on considering you first posted about getting your new hardware back in 04-09-2012

10/10 Ascent.

SolMiester
30-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Please explain..this is an update, I havent done anything other than fix the bent pins back in Sept...I only got to test now and was able to establish the original issue with the board.

Slankydudl
30-11-2012, 12:34 PM
2006... Can it use 16gb of ram?

SolMiester
30-11-2012, 02:28 PM
2006... Can it use 16gb of ram?
the 16GB is for the new board bro.....which happens to have both the A bank slots faulty!

Slankydudl
30-11-2012, 03:54 PM
okay