PDA

View Full Version : How's this for service.............And an interesting movie.....

Billy T
04-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Early yesterday afternoon I ordered some electronic parts from Elements14 (formerly Farnell). It was a small order, just $20 or so including delivery. They came from Sydney and were on my desk in less than 24 hours. This is quite staggering really, when you consider that the order had to wait its turn, be picked and packed, processed for shipping taken to the airport and go through those formalities, transit the Tasman, grind its way through NZ Customs etc, get to the Couriers' depot then find its way here.

I can't get that kind of service service from a lot of local suppliers! On top of that, I haven't bought anything off them for a couple of years (when they were still Farnell) but my logon was still active and my details stored.

I was impressed.

Moving on.......I saw an 'interesting' movie last night.:waughh: Mrs T won complimentary tickets to a pre-release showing of Hysteria, which is all about the invention of the Vibrator back in Victorian times. Apparently women suffered a lot from hysteria in those days, which was relieved by seeing a doctor who would manually induce a paroxysm. Apparently the orgasm had not yet been invented, so up until then the common folk had just been kidding themselves that they were having fun.

Problem was, the theatre was filled with women, some in rabid 'girls' night out' groups and just the occasional token bloke slumped down in his seat and trying to look inconspicuous. It was quite a fun movie in the end, but it had to go through the usual dramatic phases before it reached its climax (sorry, paroxysm). One of the best bits was the credits, as they ran there was a visual display of vibrators through the ages, and we thought they were a recent female liberation device? You've never seen such an array of hardware, most of it plug-in (in both senses of the expression) and powered by high voltages. Nobody left until the credits finished!

Verdict? Light-weight but amusing, wait till it hits the TV!

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :thumbs:

04-09-2012, 05:52 PM
If it was a part for a PC or a lappy from the Major brands you'd be waiting 1-8 weeks to get a part from Aus if they didnt have stock locally :rolleyes:
I remember a 3 month wait for HP/Compaq part. Shocking service.

The company I used to work for had no problems getting printer parts sent over from Aus the next day. Not sure why Major brands couldnt do the same.

Agent_24
04-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Farnell is good but you have to watch when stock is coming from UK or Singapore etc as well, then you can end up with several packages arriving days apart which can be annoying.

Now I just ask them to hold and send everything in one lot.

RS Components is also good, with same day delivery in Auckland for local stock if you order early enough.

The Error Guy
04-09-2012, 07:23 PM
I have too found their service to be impeccable but as agnent said, sometimes you can end up with separate packages a few days apart.

Once ordered 5x 0603 SMLED's in blue and 5x in white. The white ones showed up some time later. Fast shipping but I was confused at first as I wasn't notified that they would be separate (the note to say the white's were temporarily out of stock was in the bag with the white LED's :rolleyes: