PDA

View Full Version : Best Free Anti-virus for Win 7 Professional 64-bit

Oxie
03-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Hi guys

It is ages since I have posted here and I would be very grateful for your advice. I am in the process of purchasing a new desktop computer for my daughter and would like to know your thoughts on the best free anti-virus for Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. Her current OLD XP computer runs AVG Anti-virus Free Edition 2011.

Look forward to your comments.

Lyn (Oxie)

Speedy Gonzales
03-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Most people would probably pick NOD if you want to pay for it. Or MSSE / Microsoft's one, which is free. Install the 64 bit version

dugimodo
03-09-2012, 12:24 PM
MSE gets my Vote, followed by Avast if you don't like microsoft.
On a modern PC MSE is unobtrusive and simple and does a pretty good Job. You should still supplement it with some anti-malware such as MBAM and SPYBOT, I don't use them as resident programs, just run a manual scan on both about once a month.

For paid the consensus on this forum seems to be NOD-32

ChazTheGeek
03-09-2012, 12:29 PM
MSE is a good antivirus, it keeps to itself, simple to use and finds the bad stuff! Yes would reccomend SPYBOT or Spy hunter to go along with it.

Oxie
03-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Thanks, Speedy and dugimodo.

Could you please confirm I have the correct link to MSE - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/products/security-essentials/download
and that it is as simple as selecting English ... Windows Vista/Windows 7 64-bit ?

Thanks heaps
Lyn (Oxie)

ChazTheGeek
03-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Just tried it, works fine. Just select Language and OS then download. :)

Oxie
03-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Thanks heaps, ChazTheGeek. Much appreciated.

Lyn (Oxie)

The Error Guy
03-09-2012, 01:18 PM
As long as you don't do anything stupid and keep up to date you are unlikely to get a virus these days. It's not a crazy problem tbh. I have never had MSSE pick up anything unexpected or paid software for that matter. There have been false positives but never a genuine threat detected.

MSSE does a great job and is free. Clean, simple to use, integrates itself with windows update and performs very well. I'd personally not pay for something unless it was protecting enterprise or multi user environments (where others are likely to compromise your "normal" safe habits or attacks are likely to be targeted)