PDA

View Full Version : Facebook. Do you love it or Hate it?

stratex5
03-09-2012, 08:12 AM
Well because of all the facebook comments i want to see how many of you Pressf1'ers like/hate Facebook and why?

Speedy Gonzales
03-09-2012, 08:40 AM
Even tho I'm on it, I hardly use it now. I use Skype for FB. To chat to friends. I haven't really bothered posting anything on it

wainuitech
03-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Use it for playing games, and I administrator a group that has over 1200 members, post the odd comment in the group to keep some in line thats about all but I wouldn't say love or hate it.

The differences between those two options are to great.

Digby
03-09-2012, 08:46 AM
I voted Love it.
I don't really love it.
But I do think it is good concept and resource.
Being able to catch up with old friends.
Being able to put up a page within minutes
Being able to get Feedback.

Young ones spend most of their internet time on Facebook.
Most of the biggest companies in the world are putting a lot of effort into it.
Young ones don't use email anymore they Facebook you.

Facebook has nearly as much traffic as Google. Its Alexa rating is now number 1 (Quancast number 3)
Do you notice that on the radio companies are often saying visit us on Facebook rather than www.ourwebsite.

paulw
03-09-2012, 08:48 AM
I voted , Hate it. The only reason I have a FB account is when i signed up to test Spotify and they force you have one..

KarameaDave
03-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Voted hate it, don't really 'hate' it, just refuse to join it.
Can't be bothered with any social on-line crap.
GO OUT! MEET ACTUAL PEOPLE! TALK TO THEM!
***! :D

Trev
03-09-2012, 08:58 AM
I use it to keep in contact with my interests. As most of you know most sites have a button on them like us on Facebook. If you push that button everytime that site has a new posting it shows up on your Facebook page. That is all I mainly use it for. I don't love it or hate it.
:)

Nomad
03-09-2012, 09:04 AM
2x Digby. I have a twitter account but it is more to get updates and ask people for advice ie., professional photographers in today's internet age. Ie. who produce video seminars etc ... for free eh ... much cheaper than us paying for in NZ and it can be a better product too. Good for hunting for deals too. FB for me is that, you can use a bit of live update and also that people communicate via FB like for an event or just a social meet up coming up, so if I didn't have a FB account, we can miss out.

johcar
03-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Voted hate it, don't really 'hate' it, just refuse to join it.
Can't be bothered with any social on-line crap.
GO OUT! MEET ACTUAL PEOPLE! TALK TO THEM!
***! :D

Agree - except "Can't be bothered with any social on-line crap" - then what are you doing here??? :D

rob_on_guitar
03-09-2012, 09:22 AM
As a musician I like it, as myself personally not so much.... so I cannot really vote one or the other.
Without adblocker I'd probably hate it.

WalOne
03-09-2012, 09:38 AM
I don't love it, but my only option in this poll is "hate" it. I signed up years ago, never used it, and now I've forgotten the password I used. For this sin, I am apparently condemned for eternity never to sign in again. Or even to start a new account using the same email.

Truth is, I can't be bothered.

KarameaDave
03-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Agree - except "Can't be bothered with any social on-line crap" - then what are you doing here??? :D

Ah yes, you have spotted my hypocrisy, SWMO gave me a rev up over that one too :D

Gobe1
03-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Voted hate it but really needs a middle ground here.
the idea is fantastic and as it is so popular because it is a good idea
keeping in contact with people overseas brilliant (and skype)
young people posting what they had for breakfast...:groan:
I have a FB account but dont use it, out of 900 million users how many are regular?

Marnie
03-09-2012, 10:39 AM
I haven't voted because there is nothing to choose from, except love or hate. Life is not like that. I can see both good and bad in it, depending on how it is used.

I play a couple of the games there, but I don't pay anything and a lot of them give paying players an obvious advantage. It is good for keeping in touch with family and close friends, I am very selective there. So many post their photos there. I heard a rather sad comment from a friend that she joined Facebook so she could see photos of her grandchildren.

Had to smile when I saw Wainui's comment about keeping some in line. Self control doesn't seem to apply to them. The advice given about not posting anything in there that you wouldn't put on the front page of your newswpaper, under your real name, is so relevant. That also applies to any forum.

lordnoddy
03-09-2012, 10:45 AM
Hate it - prefer G+.

Only keep it alive for Family.

BBCmicro
03-09-2012, 11:00 AM
I don't like the way it makes me feel guilty when I hit 'delete' on email notifications

wainuitech
03-09-2012, 11:06 AM
I play a couple of the games there, but I don't pay anything and a lot of them give paying players an obvious advantage Actually thats not quite right. :)

On the Group I administrator, and some others I look at - theres LOTS of people saying they Paid REAL money to buy Virtual Coins ( friggin idiots) and they lose it as fast as the free players. Its not uncommon to hear about people spending 100's of Dollars in Real money all the time when theres no chance in hell of ever getting it back.

Me, never have and never will buy virtual coins - I have approx 14million in one game and 39 Million in another - Now if they would cash them in for real money thats different, Id be rich ( great Tuis Ad) :D

pcuser42
03-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Facebook is great for keeping in touch with people you already know :p

QW.
03-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Don't use it. Not wasting my time on such sites.

Marnie
03-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Actually thats not quite right. :)

On the Group I administrator, and some others I look at - theres LOTS of people saying they Paid REAL money to buy Virtual Coins ( friggin idiots) and they lose it as fast as the free players. Its not uncommon to hear about people spending 100's of Dollars in Real money all the time when theres no chance in hell of ever getting it back.

Me, never have and never will buy virtual coins - I have approx 14million in one game and 39 Million in another - Now if they would cash them in for real money thats different, Id be rich ( great Tuis Ad) :D

Thankyou, wainuitech. I stand corrected. :)

The Error Guy
03-09-2012, 12:18 PM
I Use it... but very little. I hate its ethos and function with a passion but put up with it since it is so heavily integrated into sites etc.

ChazTheGeek
03-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Can't be stuffed joining it. Don't want to anyway.

03-09-2012, 03:32 PM
Who has the time, too busy trawling other just as useless 'internet's' :illogical

KarameaDave
03-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Who has the time, too busy trawling other just as useless 'internet's' :illogical
LOL Same :D

plod
03-09-2012, 04:59 PM
love it, keeps me in touch with friends and relatives overseas. Only friends with people I know.

pctek
03-09-2012, 06:48 PM
I loathe it.
Funny how so many here don't like it yet have accounts on it..........

BobM
03-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Are there many forum users that belong to the "Old Friends" site on Trade Me.? Seems to have a good coverage in NZ.

Metla
03-09-2012, 07:38 PM
I joined up when I went over the ditch, works fine for my uses.

I have minimum twaddle showing up though, and my friends list is just that.

8ftmetalhaed
03-09-2012, 07:51 PM
i find it useful as wainui does, coordinating group members and such. it's like an all inclusive forum that takes less effort to post in and is more amusing for many people, i guess.
Plus up until they removed it group chat was pretty huge for my lot.
Plus talking to people and such is handy, not everyone uses MSN or anything, and text messages are time consuming and expensive.

wainuitech
03-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Just to add to what 8ftmetalhaed listed, they do have Video Chat with your Friends. You download the app, (which is basically Skype) and you can talk to friends & Family within FaceBook.

Bobh
03-09-2012, 09:19 PM
I find it just as easy to keep in touch with friends and family by email or phone.

Digby
03-09-2012, 10:19 PM
Well things arn't looking good for Mark and the gang.
The poll is running 3 to 1 against.

I imagine most of the people on this forum are men (aside from PCTek) (I am)

I wonder how many of the men that hate Facebook have partners or wives that on are Facebook ?

coldfront
03-09-2012, 11:23 PM
I did hate it and still do to a point!

However recently I used it to get in touch with long lost friends and former school buddies on the other side of the world I lost touch with over 20 years ago.

That said I will not add anyone who knows me by face or name who lives nearby or knows someone who lives nearby! Some reason Facebook gains you friends who are not really friends and the worst sort are those who live close to you. Most are just after **** to stir or dig up mud!

plod
03-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Well things arn't looking good for Mark and the gang.
The poll is running 3 to 1 against.

I imagine most of the people on this forum are men (aside from PCTek) (I am)

I wonder how many of the men that hate Facebook have partners or wives that on are Facebook ?I would say there a many closet users here

Digby
04-09-2012, 06:35 AM
I think most Facebook users have matured and are no longer trying to get as many "friends" as they can.
They are just using it for the purpose it was designed for.

Based on the polling figures, it seems there is a market for a Ludditebook!
Just remember you heard it here first!

R2x1
04-09-2012, 06:49 AM
I was on it, jumped ship and tried get out of it by several methods, all of them ineffective in the short term. Eventually, changed my user name to something complex and obscure, changed the password to something more obscure still, requested closure on that account and promptly forgot the name and pwd. Haven't been back to see if the old name still exists, and not likely to ever again.
SWMBO is not on it, never has been, and she is rather astute (except for this Apple thing she has). ;)

prefect
04-09-2012, 08:37 AM
I use it, wouldn't say love it. That's for guns and Ford vehicles.

Sanco
04-09-2012, 04:37 PM
I use it. But I despise it deeply. I am looking at migrating to a new social network platform - any suggestions?

sahilcc7
04-09-2012, 04:43 PM
I use it. But I despise it deeply. I am looking at migrating to a new social network platform - any suggestions?

Google+ ! Great for keeping up with news as well as friends. The 'whats hot' section is also great.

Agent_24
04-09-2012, 05:16 PM
In my view the reputation is bad.

But more than that, I just don't have a need to use it, and anyone who puts content exclusively on it gets a big FAIL from me.

icow
04-09-2012, 05:42 PM
I hated it for a while until I realised that the only thing I really hated about it is the stupid users and the stupid subcultures? (i guess) that appear on the site. Block all that crap out and it's actually a fairly decent service.

Sanco
04-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Google+ ! Great for keeping up with news as well as friends. The 'whats hot' section is also great.

Thanks bud, I will explore that option. Anyone else using Google +?

Nick G
04-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Thanks bud, I will explore that option. Anyone else using Google +?
Me!

ThePanda
05-09-2012, 09:25 AM
Most of the old timers will hate facebook for sure, my dad looked at it and told me why on earth I'm playing with word puzzles.

Either it is too complicated because of the crappy UI or they just don't have the time to even bother about "adding friends" when they have a thing call "Gatherings".

Digby
05-09-2012, 10:28 AM
I quite like Facebook, but I have never played any of their games, At 62 I'm a bit past that.
But my daughter was mad on the farm one, but I think she has given up on that.
I'll ask her what she does now.
I have set up a Facebook Fan page for my products so that I can keep in contact with our buyers and offer them competitons etc.

ChazTheGeek
06-09-2012, 03:54 PM
What sort of products?

Digby
06-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Woops Product, check out my Avatar.

ChazTheGeek
06-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Cool. Stable mug holder.