PDA

View Full Version : Sealing around a pool 'top'

pine-o-cleen
01-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Just starting the process of getting the pool ready for the summer. The pool is in-ground and vinyl. The top, where the pool liner meets the overhanging tiles had a pretty worn out strip of what looked like linoleum, with a plastic capping strip between the top of that and the overhanging tiles. It was coming away in some places and was just getting filled with debris, so I ripped it all off and now I'm left with the exposed top of the liner, and some significant gaps between that and the tiles. I was thinking that I would fill it with some sort of silicone sealant and then tile over that. Just had a look and it looks like Selleys No More Gaps Exterior would be perfect, but at ~ $12 for a tube, that is going to get expensive very quickly.

Anyone have any ideas of an alternative?

I was thinking a flexible tile grout, but would that last around the pool edge? And I'm a bit concerned that if I spill some into the pool, the effect that it will have on the pump and filter.

CliveM
02-09-2012, 08:33 AM
I would think silicone is the way to go. It may pay to talk to a professional installer to be certain. You also should be able to get a bulk discount if purchasing by the box rather than the tube.

R2x1
02-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Some PVC angle extrusion secured with Slicon sealant (or for economy use some hose slit lengthwise). This protects the liner top edge and stops cleaning brush handles, backsides, feet etc. from cutting the liner off neatly along the top of the backing.

Brucem
04-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Depends on the dimensions of the gap. If it is even and not too wide, you may be able to use a piece of polythene or nylon pipe in the slot, then if necessary use a silicone sealant to top it off. Make sure that the sealant is suitable for outdoor use, as some do not like sunlight. Ensure that the surfaces are clean so as to get a good bond with the sealant. Idealy sealants should have a square cross section, and NOT bond nto the bottom of the groove. In concrete swimming pools a 20mm cross section is normal, or was when I worked in this area 20 odd years ago.