PDA

View Full Version : High end Mboards advice pls

05-11-2001, 11:39 AM
Hi all

I wanna build a High-end Pc just for gaming,net and general stuff, sick of slow PC's. I've made up my mind on most stuff eg; sound card, modem, video card, CPU, RAM bla bla. But Just still blank bout the big things. Now Mother Board i want a decent amount of PCI slots a Raid controller, not to fussed bout RAM setup aslong as it can run DDR-RAM, 266FSB a must. So what do u lot recommend. The other things are wot sort of HDD (20Gb)and wot is a good CD-R and wot r ur thoughts on XP Pro.

Would appreciate it somuch as you people who have done custom builds know how hard it is to decide on wot is best

Thanks in Advance
Chainsaw

05-11-2001, 12:21 PM
Waste of time going for a 20Gb HDD when 40Gb or bigger are not that much more... also go for 7200RPM for that.

What kind of specs are you talking about for everything else (eg CPU etc.) as this can play a part in deciding what kind of m/board you get.

05-11-2001, 12:33 PM
Oops Specs

17' monitor, optical mouse, sound blaster live 5.1 audio, G Force 2 MX vid card, 56k Modem, 300w pwr Supply, 256 DDR Ram, AMD around 1.4Ghz CPU. The reason i went 20Gb HDD was start with that and if i need more then slap another 20Gb on via the Raid controller.

Sweet as

05-11-2001, 01:02 PM
The holy grail for that sort of information is here
www.tomshardwareguide.com

They got all the numbers and graphs on motherboards etc

(in my humble thoughts anyway)

==Orac==

05-11-2001, 01:10 PM
looks like you are making a midend machine;-)

with a raid controller you need a minimum of 2 harddrives. 2x20gig would be ok(7200rpm). geforce2mx will be a big bottleneck for gameing. go for a geforce2gts minimum. unless you whatch movies a lot u can get away with a live value sound card. don't forget the speakers. power supply 300w would be a minimum. have a look at the ethermax whisper power supply. don't forget to get a decent heatsink. check how much pace you have to put the case. a full tower wouldn't fit in my desk. i was looking at getting one of those black 'aleinware' cases but it wouldn't fit;-( bigger the case the better. a small case makes keeping things cool a tad tricky.

to give you some idea my new system is- 1.4 atho, geforce3, fic ad11 motherboard amd761 chipset, 512 ddr ram, promise raid controller with 2 30gig 7200rpm western digital drives in raid 0, sb live value, dvd, 19'monitor, thermal engine heatsink with ys-tech fan, ethermax 350watt whisper power supply(variable speed fan), at the moment no case fans(to noisy but if it starts running to hot this summer i might put one back in)

and don't forget the 10/100 lan card for those lan partys;-)