PDA

View Full Version : Getting serious about backing up

05-11-2001, 11:11 AM
I want to backup all my files in my computer. My husbands computer has a CD writer. I have an MS backup application installed. Can I send my backedup files by email to his computer, then download them on to CD? I only have 56K modem. My backup file is about 1,300,000KB

05-11-2001, 11:21 AM
No, to big.

Put the CD writer in your computer to do the backup.

05-11-2001, 12:51 PM
or network your two pc's together, get a couple of network cards and a crossover cable from your local computer shop.

05-11-2001, 01:22 PM
I'd just stick to backing up the crucial files. There's usually no need to back up Windows or Office, etc just stick to the crucials. Then put the CDRW in your machine.

JM

05-11-2001, 03:57 PM
i normally just use an old small hardrive. just plug it in when required. with todays HUGE hardrives theres no other way to back them up.

05-11-2001, 05:16 PM
Whatever method you settle on DO NOT do a backup as one 1.3 GB file. Break it up into much smaller files. Just remember that just about any compressed file has NO error tolerance. There is no such thing as an error free storage device. And an error tends to mean anything after the error can't be recovered.There will be a lot of huge areas you don't need to back up: any commercial software which you have the original media for, duplicate copies of any scanner stuff, backup files kept by wordprocessors etc.
You might want to save any configuration files, bookmarks, etc. Then after you have worked out what you need to save, make a couple of copies of anything important. On different disks.

05-11-2001, 06:31 PM
I would agree with Tweak'e on this one, but go a small step further. I use hard drive caddies that can be plugged in, and PowerQuests DriveCopy, or you could use Ghost, then back up the entire hard drive onto an adequate size slave HDD.
Not only do you have all your files backed up, but if there is a disaster, its then so easy to boot up off the backup HDD or to copy back to the main drive.
It doesnt take that long, copying runs at about 190MB per minute.