PDA

View Full Version : Milo

wmoore
30-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Living in the UK you can't get things like Milo from the major supermarkets. But tonight in my local Tesco's I noticed that they had tins of Milo. Thinking this had come from NZ or Australia I read the label to find that it was made in Kenya of all places. So where is NZ Milo made these days ?

Terry Porritt
30-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks to Google.."It can also be found in the UK in some Sainsbury's and Tesco supermarkets, which import it from Kenya or Uganda"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milo_%28drink%29

wmoore
30-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Thanks Terry.

Bobh
30-08-2012, 12:55 PM
There was something on the Fairgo TV programme recently. Read her (http://tvnz.co.nz/fair-go/september-28-4425413)e

Nestle say it's a parallel import, made by Nestle but in the Philippines to local taste - the Philippinos like it with less dairy and less malt. For us, that's less taste, and less nutrients - the Kiwi Milo has up to four times the vitamins, iron and calcium than the imported Milo.

Trev
30-08-2012, 01:59 PM
There was a section on our Fairgo program I think last year about someone complaining about the taste of his Milo he had bought from some shop in Auckland which he didn't like. It turned out the shop had got it from some importer who had impoted it from the Phillipines. @ wmoore you mightn't like the taste of it.
:)

Agent_24
30-08-2012, 07:41 PM
There was something on the Fairgo TV programme recently. Read her (http://tvnz.co.nz/fair-go/september-28-4425413)e

Nestle say it's a parallel import, made by Nestle but in the Philippines to local taste - the Philippinos like it with less dairy and less malt. For us, that's less taste, and less nutrients - the Kiwi Milo has up to four times the vitamins, iron and calcium than the imported Milo.

And if you look at the label you'll see it's almost 50% sugar.

Paul.Cov
31-08-2012, 07:00 AM
I'm surprised to learn that we are led to believe Milo has any nutritional value.

I've always thought of it as a brown insoluble grit rather than a food item.

I'll never buy a packet.

Nick G
31-08-2012, 08:28 AM
I'm surprised to learn that we are led to believe Milo has any nutritional value.I've always thought of it as a very tasty insoluble grit rather than a food item.I'll always buy a packet.Fixed it for you :devil

gary67
31-08-2012, 08:48 AM
You used to be able to get Milo in England when I was a kid in the 70's but then it disappeared not to return until the millennium year when tesco started restocking it, the taste then was identical to here but don't know about now

Bobh
31-08-2012, 09:19 AM
I used to drink milo as a kid but I have not used it for decades now as I find it too sweet and sickly. I do not put sugar in my coffee even.

Nick G
31-08-2012, 09:41 AM
I used to drink milo as a kid but I have not used it for decades now as I find it too sweet and sickly. I do not put sugar in my coffee even.
Sugar in coffee or tea ruins it IMHO. What I really don't get though is people who add sugar to milo. It's nice, but it sure doesn't need to be sweeter.

Digby
31-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Yes I think Milo was created in New Zealand.

I talk to backpackers from Europe and they have never heard of it.

I think all of our Milo comes from Australia now.

Due to their larger population I suppose they have economies of scale in their manufacturing.

But who knows with our lower wages it may come back!

Alex B
31-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Was just in Singapore and they are addicted to the stuff, mostly cold. In the can, McDonalds etc, you name it.

Bobh
01-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Was just in Singapore and they are addicted to the stuff, mostly cold. In the can, McDonalds etc, you name it.
Most likely made from soya bean milk as well.

Terry Porritt
01-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Yes I think Milo was created in New Zealand.

I talk to backpackers from Europe and they have never heard of it.

I think all of our Milo comes from Australia now.

Due to their larger population I suppose they have economies of scale in their manufacturing.

But who knows with our lower wages it may come back!

"In 1934, Australian industrial chemist and inventor Thomas Mayne developed Milo and launched it at the Sydney Royal Easter Show.[2] Milo began production at the plant located in Smithtown, near Kempsey on the North Coast of New South Wales. The name was derived from the famous Greek athlete Milo of Crotona, after his legendary strength.[3]".............from link given earlier, post #2.