PDA

View Full Version : Happy and Pissed off at the same time

wainuitech
28-08-2012, 05:32 PM
:D + :( = $

Just upgraded our Internet connection today with Telstra - now Looks like I may need to upgrade all the switches, they cant handle full speed - oh Well.

Looking at the Digitus Switches, but the guy from Telstra said the Router may need upgrading as well as. -- Bummer its only less than a year old.

Got a mixture of switches, but has anyone had any problems with the Digitus ?

Chilling_Silence
28-08-2012, 07:06 PM
What's the router you've got currently? You're on Cable, yes?

I found the Digitus switches / WiFi to be cheap, never could get it fully maxed out... Though their Bluetooth and other stuff worked fine.

Paul.Cov
28-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Bugger! I've been on dial-up speed for close to 2 weeks, and your problem is your broadband gear can't keep up... You'll cope no sympathy from me, mate!

Must admit though that I was quick to replace the 'free' and unstable modem my ISP palmed off on me (who ever guessed that useless outdated tech could be got rid of by 'giving' it away to customers... anybody want a dead TV, or a DVD player with multiple issues since new?)

plod
28-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Have you moved to warp speed?

wainuitech
28-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Yes Chill, Cable with Telstra - Tried the New Cisco modem directly into the PC and damn near got top speed - Plugged it back into the Router, and it did drop a little, but that could be general traffic. Tried the PC in the workshop and it dropped quite a bit, almost 30Mbps. There are two switches in that loop.

The old speed maxed out at 15Mbps, which is what I was on, tried this morning before the Telstra tech came. When the guy plugged in his box of tricks after climbing up the pole and making a cable change, he said - Great full speed, and the signal is as strong as its available.

Ran through the same speed test /site http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/customer-zone/speedtest/

Now its really good, dont even have time to go for a crap when downloading a Full OS from Microsoft lol ( Sorry to much info) but Hey, paying an extra $20 /month for it so may as well get it if I can,get what you pay for I guess.

@ Plod -- YEP - The Max is 100

@ Paul - sounds like you need a bigger data plan.

tuiruru
28-08-2012, 08:19 PM
Oh to have your problems! OK - so I've been with Telstra for ages and recently "upgraded" (yep) to their $75 deal. I'm about 7km from the exchange - when I was younger the term "living on the edge" had totally different meanings!

Here's my "speeds" - enjoy:

wainuitech
28-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Dont get me wrong, I'm stoked with the speed increase. Now I'm paying $115/month just for BB, that doesn't include the phone lines, mobile's and TV - so it all adds up.

What I'm not to happy about is having to spend several more hundreds on upgrading all the hardware to take advantage of the better speed. Mind you the switches are quite old, so may be time to upgrade anyway, when I have the $.

The reason for the upgrade in plan was because almost every month we go over the limit, and sometimes end up paying more for over usage than a larger plan.

Tuiruru - think you better call them, as long as you are on Cable you should be faster than that - just looked and with the $75 package you should have:

15Mbps downstream / 2Mbps upstream

Once a few years back mine went really slow, and finally found out that some idiot had put a restriction on my speed , and there was no reason why. Once they unlocked it, it went back to what it was meant to be.

stratex5
28-08-2012, 08:33 PM
If you dont mind wainuitech, wht is your data cap, that you are paying $115 for?

wainuitech
28-08-2012, 08:41 PM
100GB

http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/residential/inhome/internet/cable-broadband/naked-broadband.cfm#plans

Some ADSL plans are the same or more data for less, but we have a few things all tied in that other places cant match, when you actually add them all up and compare pricing.

We've had several ISP's and such call, and when they add everything up, telstra is still the cheaper option.

icow
28-08-2012, 08:43 PM
When your upload is only 2mbps off the global average download you know you truly have hit warp speed.

pcuser42
28-08-2012, 09:04 PM

How long's your longest network cable? :drool

stratex5
28-08-2012, 09:13 PM
100GB

http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/residential/inhome/internet/cable-broadband/naked-broadband.cfm#plans

Some ADSL plans are the same or more data for less, but we have a few things all tied in that other places cant match, when you actually add them all up and compare pricing.

We've had several ISP's and such call, and when they add everything up, telstra is still the cheaper option.

Hmm... yeah ill pass that on to the boss (my parents) because we are looking for something slightly faster...

icow
28-08-2012, 10:13 PM
How long's your longest network cable? :drool

:lol:

vvpin
28-08-2012, 10:56 PM
What's the router you've got currently?

wainuitech
28-08-2012, 11:28 PM
Netgear WNR2000 is the Router

May change it to a different model, well see. Speed tests are under close to ideal conditions, its hardly ever you can download at the lines full capacity.

Iantech
29-08-2012, 01:00 AM
Yes Chill, Cable with Telstra - Tried the New Cisco modem directly into the PC and damn near got top speed - Plugged it back into the Router, and it did drop a little, but that could be general traffic. Tried the PC in the workshop and it dropped quite a bit, almost 30Mbps. There are two switches in that loop.

The old speed maxed out at 15Mbps, which is what I was on, tried this morning before the Telstra tech came. When the guy plugged in his box of tricks after climbing up the pole and making a cable change, he said - Great full speed, and the signal is as strong as its available.

Ran through the same speed test /site http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/customer-zone/speedtest/

Now its really good, dont even have time to go for a crap when downloading a Full OS from Microsoft lol ( Sorry to much info) but Hey, paying an extra $20 /month for it so may as well get it if I can,get what you pay for I guess.

@ Plod -- YEP - The Max is 100

@ Paul - sounds like you need a bigger data plan.WOW :dogeye: thats impressive !! Congrats. Have used a few digitus switches (4 and 8 port) in the past, seemed pretty reliable and stable, couldnt tell you about speed as there was only low data transfers across the network sorry. They are pretty cheap, so worth a shot (and on-sell it to a client if it dont perform for you haha)

tuiruru
29-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Tuiruru - think you better call them, as long as you are on Cable you should be faster than that - just looked and with the $75 package you should have:

15Mbps downstream / 2Mbps upstream

Thanks for that Wainui

I'm 7km from the exchange (by road so the cable might be longer - I'm 99% certain its copper). Is that going to account for it, or if they say it does is that just BS?

inphinity
29-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Personally I'd go with Cisco (http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=SWHLKS1678139&name=CISCO-LINKSYS-SE2800-AU-8-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Sw) for switches, but an alternative would be Asus switches (http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=SWHAS1081&name=Asus-GX-D1081-Power-Saving-Gigabit-Switch-w8x-1010) which actually offer good performance and are nice and cheap to boot.

Chilling_Silence
29-08-2012, 12:25 PM
This is what you'll be wanting:
http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=NETTPL1043

Chuck Gargoyle on it, sorted! :D

Paul.Cov
29-08-2012, 12:29 PM
@ Paul - sounds like you need a bigger data plan.

Yeah, it's in the pipeline, but Vodafone makes you wait until 1st of the month before enabling the change. 3 more days to go, then I somehow have to cane out the new cap within the 8 days that will be left of the plan before they start the next months billing. Seems a silly system.

KarameaDave
29-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Yeah, it's in the pipeline, but Vodafone makes you wait until 1st of the month before enabling the change. 3 more days to go, then I somehow have to cane out the new cap within the 8 days that will be left of the plan before they start the next months billing. Seems a silly system.More than silly, practically theft!! :D

The Error Guy
29-08-2012, 03:14 PM
I have to make the switch soon (to fibre) the cable is laid down our street which is bloody lucky since we are one of 3x homes on the line :D

Whilst we are refitting the kitchen/bathroom I'll do a cable run. The good thing is the house is quite small and every room is accessible from the kitchen so installing the drops will be easy. I probably will only put RJ45's to the office/kitchen since wireless will cover the other rooms and laptop's/cell ph's aren't really gonna be much use on a cabled connection and won't make much use of the full speed. It's mainly web browsing etc. If it needs to happen installing extra drops in the future won't be a huge hassle anyway. Merits of small 1860's houses!

My goal is to try and achieve max theoretical throughput on my line, by the time I start Ubuntu and win8 downloading i'll be over my cap and probably only acheive ~70% load :rolleyes: