PDA

View Full Version : Apple Recovery

bk T
26-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Need help from Apple experts:

This machine has been reformatted the HDD by her mate to install Windows XP on it but unfortunately her Windows is badly corrupted (infected with virus) and she now decided to go back to Mac OS. Since the HDD has reformtted and she has misplaced the Apple OS discs... just googled and read this article about OS X Recovery Assistant (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433) that we actually can re-create the recovery partition (HDD) by using this utility tool. However, I'm quite confused as to how it should be done! My understanding is: 1. Download the Recovery Assistant. 2. Copy it to a USB stick . 3. Insert it to the Mac machine. 4. Launch the Recovery Assistant .... follow the on-screen instructions. ..... the Mac machine is still with my mate!! She will bring the machine for me to 'look' at later this afternoon.

I also understand that I need an external HDD to create the Recovery partition .... confusing. .........

Is there any Apple expert here who can share his/her expertise with this forum members? Step by step instructions will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Slankydudl
26-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Just download the program to the external HD and plug it into the mac then hold option while it boots. Or at least that's what everything says. Always good to keep a draw just for discs, you never know when you will need the stupid things.

plod
26-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Now this all depends on what version of osx was being run. As far as I'm aware this works for lion and above. And the machine in question would have to come with it to start with

Slankydudl
26-08-2012, 12:13 PM
well what model is it and what does it look like. And although this will repair the disc i believe you still need a install disc to actually put osx on the computer.

plod
26-08-2012, 12:22 PM
well what model is it and what does it look like. And although this will repair the disc i believe you still need a install disc to actually put osx on the computer.No, if the computer came with lion or above, you can do an install over the Internet

icow
26-08-2012, 12:29 PM
support.apple.com/kb/HT4848

You need a computer with the same OS configuration as the MacBook you're trying to fix. E.g. Both upgraded to lion or both shipped with lion. By the looks of things the recovery tool is something your meant to setup before everything goes to ****. I'm 95% sure you need a Mac to set it up.

If you can't do that you'll need to borrow some Osx disks from someone that came with a MacBook of the same model or full retail version disks or you could buy a copy of mountain lion off of a computer that has access to the Mac app store. download and burn it to a disk so it will be bootable or get a retail copy of snow leopard (it's like the same price from memory).

Also why was the HDD removed to install windows?

bk T
26-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Just download the program to the external HD and plug it into the mac then hold option while it boots. Or at least that's what everything says. Always good to keep a draw just for discs, you never know when you will need the stupid things.

Just got the MacBook. Tried it but wont work. Checked and found that there's a CD in the Drive -- don't know what's in there! Can't eject it too. Can't boot to Windows. stuck at the Starting Windows screen.

A big hammer, please.

plod
26-08-2012, 12:41 PM
How old is it?

Slankydudl
26-08-2012, 12:42 PM
how does the install over the internet work?

bk T
26-08-2012, 12:50 PM
plod: no idea how old it is.

How do I eject the CD in the drive???

option key won't work while booting - only from HDD probably it's trying to detect the boot devicer in the CD drive. Plugged in an external DVD drive with Windows install CD but won't work!

plod
26-08-2012, 12:54 PM
You can try some of these
http://osxdaily.com/2007/01/12/10-must-know-startup-commands/
Without knowing what model it's a liittlhard to help

plod
26-08-2012, 12:55 PM
how does the install over the internet work?Newer macs ome with a small partition that will give you access to wifi/Ethernet with the ability to do a retore from apple servers

Slankydudl
26-08-2012, 12:56 PM
yeah but you cant do that in this case.

plod
26-08-2012, 01:00 PM
yeah but you cant do that in this case.I know, but you asked. You could try holding x own while staring, this will ry and boot into osx, there still might be some parts left there such as a recovery partition

The Error Guy
26-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Might not be possible but could you take it into an apple store (do they even have them in NZ? or are there only resellers?) The guys there are very helpful and should take care of everything or point you in the right direction. I have used apple stores overseas but not in NZ.

The other options you could try are putting a small linux distro (puppy linux perhaps?) on a USB, booting from that to recover as much info as possible and try ejecting that CD. I'd be wary with that flash drive though, I'd scan it on a separate machine to try detect any nasties in case of infecting other machines/reinfecting her PC.

You can then follow this tutorial to make an OSX Lion bootable USB to reinstall OSX: http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-make-your-own-os-x-lion-bootable-usb-flash-drive-tutorial/ I'd recommend formatting that hard drive completely to get rid of anything on it during setup too (if you got all the info off you need)

Just wondering though? Will windows boot in safe mode? If not what does it get stuck on?

Best of luck!

ronyville
26-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Hold the mouse bottom down as it boots and it should spit out the disk in a minute or so. This method has helped me a lot in the past where a cd got stuck in the mac drive.

I can lend you my OSX install dvd for Snow Leopard if I can find it first.

icow
26-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Hold the mouse bottom down as it boots and it should spit out the disk in a minute or so. This method has helped me a lot in the past where a cd got stuck in the mac drive.

+1

bk T
26-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Thanks guys, managed to eject the CD by holding down the mouse button as suggested.

Put in the Windows DVD just to try it out but it hangs at the Windows logo - probably due to over-heating as I don't hear any fan spinning noise at all.

It's a MacBook 13" (or 14"?). Looks pretty old.

Left it OFF for about an hour and managed to complete the Windows Installation but this is not what she wants - she wants her Mac OS back. -- or dear but quite understable- she is not willing to pay for the new Windows OS.

icow
26-08-2012, 05:49 PM
Yeah older macbooks end up with massive heating problems if not properly cleaned after a few years, then again I suppose most laptops do.