PDA

View Full Version : Going to purchase new modem / router. What should I look for?

Advocar
25-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Hi have an old D Link 10 yrs old but experiencing need to reset so believe I should purchase a new one.

What should I look for.

I have a desktop, currently on ethernet and would like to continue with ethernet.

Have a Toshiba on wireless, downstairs but no walls to worry about.

Have other friends wireless laptop or Ipad at times and would like to have ability to connect when outside say 20 meters max from router.

What should I look for re security of wireless and ease of use.

Thanks advocar

stratex5
25-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Mmmm.... now where is Chill?

8ftmetalhaed
25-08-2012, 04:40 PM
If you can find one the ever awesome netcomm nbplus4wn could work.

It's end of line product though, so no idea about anything else. Don't go netgear, belkin, or cheap as chips. Get something relatively expensive, simply because you'll likely get something far more functional and less likely to melt itself when it's put under stress. (as many, MANY cheap routers will)

Chilling_Silence
25-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Yeah the NB6Plus4Wn are end-of-life, replaced by the shitty NB604N. Don't get the NB604N, they're *so* bad....

Instead, I've been trialling the Asus N12U with good success thus far. I don't have one myself, so I've been trying to remotely abuse one with the help of a few friends who *do* have them, and so far they can take quite a beating and are probably your best bet at this stage!

wuppo
26-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Don't pay for more than you need, but if there is a possibility of changing to a fibre connection in the near future, consider a router with gigabit ports and support for VOIP.

The other area that is gaining momentum is more WiFi is changing to the 5Ghz band - potential faster speeds and more channels. The 2.4Ghz band is starting to give people grief with so many people in close proximity sharing so few effective channels; this effectively creates 'noise' (degraded signal to noise ratio) and results in poorer throughput. Your current equipment may not support 5Ghz, but newer gear will do. Dual 2.4Ghz / 5Ghz wifi routers are becomming more common.

linw
26-08-2012, 04:26 PM
Don't try to anticipate a UFB connection. UFB RSP's supply their own modem/router configured for their own offering.

Chilling_Silence
26-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Yeah and the Genius leaves a *lot* to be desired. TeamSpeak3 was failing miserably without a firmware upgrade, DotA2 / TeamFortress 2 still not quite 100% if you're playing with more than one person on the network at once, no PPTP VPN support (SERIOUSLY!) and a few more things...

Basically you'll be able to use a standard Wi-Fi Access Point such as a Gargoyle Router for your modem in the future for UFB, so you're undoubtedly going to replace your existing ADSL router. Just cross that bridge when you come to it.

8ftmetalhaed
26-08-2012, 09:09 PM
I also experience regular failures of sharing over my homegroup using the genius.
It's a pain in the ass. It's not THAT bad, but at the same time it's certainly pretty bare minimum for what it does.

linw
26-08-2012, 10:08 PM
How does it fail with sharing? I'm due to get one next Tues with UFB and don't need a router that can't be relied on to rout. Are you saying they need a switch added to do the in-house distribution?

Chilling_Silence
27-08-2012, 10:15 AM
I'm saying if you can afford the extra cost, and you won't be using their Genius VoIP solution (They won't let you use anything *but* their router), then you're best off getting something different.

8ftmetalhaed
27-08-2012, 10:28 AM
that's the really odd thing about it. I generally find syncing files absolutely perfect using Sync back, it transfers gigabytes worth of files (like last night, I synced all my MLP stuff, tens of thousands of files to search, etc) and it all worked hunky dory. When I use homegroup, it transfers and then goes all 'the network location couldn't be found' for ages, which is a right pain in the backside sometimes.

linw
27-08-2012, 10:30 AM
I will have to use the Genius because of the voip.

I was wondering more about 8ft's mention of "failures of sharing".

linw
27-08-2012, 10:37 AM
@8ft, could you clarify the Homegroup situation, please? How is it that you switch from one network scenario to Homegroup?? Are we talking at cross purposes?

My network is plain vanilla with no Win 7 Homegroup.

Chilling_Silence
27-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Yeah I used to have similar issues, put it down to just "homegroup" and haven't tried it again since shortly after Win7 came out. Easier to just use *real* file sharing...

linw
27-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Yea, can't beat "real file sharing"!!

Chilling_Silence
27-08-2012, 12:19 PM
;)

Speedy Gonzales
27-08-2012, 12:23 PM
The N12U Ive got Chill. I've just changed everything here to wireless (2 computers (in the bedroom), the Xbox in the lounge, and now a Canon wireless printer (in the lounge) using this modem / router (The B1). So far so good.

No dropouts from the computers yet. I love it, how I can print to and scan from the printer, wirelessly using this modem / the printer. I think you can also fax wirelessly to the printer (I haven't tried this yet tho). And yup, nothing wrong with normal file sharing. I havent really bothered with Homegroup either.

Chilling_Silence
27-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Awesome stuff! :)

I've setup two recently for friends and given them a semi-decent beating, so far they hold up well. Still haven't thoroughly tested a few things through them, such as VoIP / VPN etc, but initially they look promising!