PDA

View Full Version : Backing up the C drive

lostsoul62
24-08-2012, 07:08 AM
I have Acronis true image 2010 and it works sometimes but I just got a corrupted archive and I lost my C drive. So I'm thinking about another Backup program, or buying Acronis true image 2012 with Norton Ghost 15 so if one fails I have the other, but for both of them to be on the same computer might cause problems. Any suggestions?

psycik
24-08-2012, 08:55 AM
I've got 2012 and it's backing up one drive in my Home server. Yes it's just had some issues, but I believe they were mine (caused by me switching output location of my backups. But before that it was rock solid. And 2012 is much better at backup consolidation that 2010 was.

Do you want acronis/ghost for bare metal restore or data restore (ie docuemnts etc)? I use acronis for bare metal systm restore only, and everything else is backed up in crashplan (to 3 different locations, 1 internal, 1 other machine in my network, and CP's cloud).

lostsoul62
24-08-2012, 09:04 AM
I guess I will get 2012 because it's on sell at amazon for less than $20. I try to restore from 2 different drives and both had archive is corrupt so I'll look at it and see what was wrong with it. I alway back up all my OS's on mulitply drives, not copy, backup. Thanks

gary67
24-08-2012, 09:31 AM
active@ is much better wainui uses it about $50 from memory

Neil McC
24-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Some of us on here use Active@ Image.I went to that from Acronis and have had no problems with it working. There are posts on here about Acronis/Active/Imaging if you search.
http://www.disk-image.com/

pctek
24-08-2012, 12:34 PM
I also changed to Active@.
Acronis failed too often on restore...

bk T
24-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Can Active@ restore the backup image to a partition only, not the whole HDD?

For example, my HDD is partitioned into 2 partitions, C: (system) and D: (data), and I created an image of C: (with Active@ - no problem) but when restoring, Active@ restores the image to the whole HDD, wiping out my D:. There don't seem to have the option to select the destination partition.

wainuitech
24-08-2012, 02:17 PM
As per thread - a Image takes the whole drive. If there was an image made and it contained both / all partitions then it will put back what it imaged. if you wanted only to save data/backup, then you can select where to put it back.

Thats the difference - Imaging and Backing up are not the same thing.

Renegade
24-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Can Active@ restore the backup image to a partition only, not the whole HDD?

For example, my HDD is partitioned into 2 partitions, C: (system) and D: (data), and I created an image of C: (with Active@ - no problem) but when restoring, Active@ restores the image to the whole HDD, wiping out my D:. There don't seem to have the option to select the destination partition.

Yep, I only image my C: partition. Tick C: only in the "source disk or partition" when restoring, leave Disk 0 / Header unchecked.

bk T
24-08-2012, 05:33 PM
yes, there is option for you to select the partition to backup but when restoring, there is no option to select the target partition. I maybe wrong, or maybe I did something not right. Just be carefull when restoring, make sure your data on your other partitions are saved.

Renegade
24-08-2012, 05:45 PM
I've restored my C: partition a few times, no probs with it messing up my D: & E: so far (touch wood).

wainuitech
24-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Amendment to my post above - See http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?126347-Thinkpad-no-CD-boot-option&p=1114149#post1114149 you can.

Seems the same question is being asked over two threads. bad idea.