PDA

View Full Version : HTC One V - battery charging questions

wratterus
23-08-2012, 10:58 PM
I've just bought a One V, very impressed with it, however the one thing I'm not sure on is the charging aspect of it. I want to get the most out of the battery, but there seem to be as many different opinions out there as there are phones.

Obviously being a smartphone, the battery life isn't amazing, so having it fully charged each morning would be handy. There is mention of 'smart chargers' preventing overcharging - I assume having the phone plugged into a laptop all night will not be very good for the battery?

Would be interested in what everyone does with their smartphones.

The Error Guy
23-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Should be fine, the batteries use Lithium cells and have pretty good built in overcharge/run down prevention. They are designed to be left on the charge overnight and collected in the morning. They will charge rapidly over the first 1-2.4 hours (assuming a 3hr charge cycle) then slow down. Eventually it will just bounce off 100/99% as it charges/discharges.

So yeah, It will be fine.

You could get a higher capacity battery of ebay as well. Better than an external one since it fits inside the phone.

Chilling_Silence
23-08-2012, 11:38 PM
This "smart charger" is built into the phone. It slows down when it gets near capacity. In fact I think even the LED light goes green to indicate it's full at around 95% if I remember rightly (I read it on XDA. I charge mine overnight while I sleep so haven't noticed).

It's fine if you plug it into a USB port on a laptop, however most can't draw as much power vs a dedicated charger, so it'll just simply charge slower, that's all.

wratterus
24-08-2012, 08:13 AM
thanks guys, thats exactly what I wanted to know. :)

hueybot3000
24-08-2012, 08:23 PM
I have had my htc sensation for about a year and I put on charge every 2-3 days when I go to bed, ie on charge all night. Battery has been fine and since the icecream sandwhich update it's lasting even longer