PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Windows 7

learning
23-08-2012, 03:34 PM
I need a laptop to be reimaged for someone. "They" wont do it without the laptop OS "breaking" first.

What files can I delete or do something to Windows 7 where it makes the laptop useless and no choice but to format and re load windows.
I dont want to infect with malware or virus.

I dont want to make it too obvious by shift deleting a whole bunch of files or something but something that is plausible enough to say it broke on its 'own'
something not too drastic but not fixable also and leaves no choices but to reload windows

thanks

Speedy Gonzales
23-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Smash the screen :p

8ftmetalhaed
23-08-2012, 03:38 PM
well what's the motivation here?

CYaBro
23-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Yea drop it while it's running :D

tmrafi
23-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Rename C:\windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys to something else and reboot :D

pcuser42
23-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Overwrite the bootloader with something else :D

Chilling_Silence
23-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Rename C:\windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys to something else and reboot :D

Pretty good way :D
There's a few others you can do, stuff in the root C:\ drive sometimes. However if you do ^^ you can then walk away from the PC and then next time it reboots it'll just fail to come up ;)

Agent_24
23-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Download some viruses perhaps? http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/3806920/

Maybe you can find one of those viruses which destroys executable files, or encrypts half the hard drive for "ransom"

Chilling_Silence
23-08-2012, 05:04 PM
^^ That the source like you can get from vx.netlux or has somebody gone and compiled them?

ChazTheGeek
23-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Download some viruses perhaps? http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/3806920/

Maybe you can find one of those viruses which destroys executable files, or encrypts half the hard drive for "ransom"

He didn't want a virus. Delete NTDLR.dll It probably won't work. I might be wrong.

dugimodo
23-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Does the Laptop not have a recovery partition or Disks so you can do it yourself? if not and it was purchased new I'm fairly certain you can request them.
I don't sell computers for a living but it's my understanding if a PC is supplied with a preinstalled OS a way to restore the system must be supplied with the PC, either in the form of a windows Disk or recovery CD / Partition etc.

Iantech
23-08-2012, 06:15 PM
I need a laptop to be reimaged for someone. "They" wont do it without the laptop OS "breaking" first.

What files can I delete or do something to Windows 7 where it makes the laptop useless and no choice but to format and re load windows.
I dont want to infect with malware or virus.

I dont want to make it too obvious by shift deleting a whole bunch of files or something but something that is plausible enough to say it broke on its 'own'
something not too drastic but not fixable also and leaves no choices but to reload windows

thanksWhy do you want to do this if the OS is not broken? And clearly you want this to happen without the owner knowing about it which sounds pretty malicious. Whats your real motive here?

Erayd
23-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Why do you want to do this if the OS is not broken? And clearly you want this to happen without the owner knowing about it which sounds pretty malicious. Whats your real motive here?+1.

Deliberately breaking someone's computer without their knowledge or permission in order to force them into a particular course of action, especially when they've explicitly told you that they don't want this, strikes me as rather unethical.

Agent_24
23-08-2012, 06:44 PM
^^ That the source like you can get from vx.netlux or has somebody gone and compiled them?

No idea, I can't be bothered downloading 6GB of viruses\virus code :lol:

He didn't want a virus. Delete NTDLR.dll It probably won't work. I might be wrong.

The thing is that simply deleting one file is very easy to fix in a few minutes.

learning
23-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the tips. I will try renaming / deleting the DLL files you mentioned.

No my intent is not 'malicious'. Its for my mate who's very small 5-10 person company is managed by third party IT company.

His laptop is excruciatingly slow and bloated. All kinds of troubleshooting, malware scan, cleanup have been done but its pretty obvious he just needs a clean wipe and reload of OS to fix it. They wont do it and just tell him to wait until he gets a new laptop as part of the refresh schedule.

Agent_24
23-08-2012, 07:04 PM
Might be they're trying to run software that's just too heavy for it, if that's the case a reinstall won't help much.

Erayd
23-08-2012, 07:20 PM
No my intent is not 'malicious'. Its for my mate who's very small 5-10 person company is managed by third party IT company.

His laptop is excruciatingly slow and bloated. All kinds of troubleshooting, malware scan, cleanup have been done but its pretty obvious he just needs a clean wipe and reload of OS to fix it. They wont do it and just tell him to wait until he gets a new laptop as part of the refresh schedule.If this is really the case, why aren't you being honest with the computer's user and asking them for permission to take this step?

This may also have budget implications, especially if the IT company finds out if it was deliberate. Someone, somewhere, will be paying to have it fixed.

KarameaDave
23-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Are you interfering with a company's IT policy?
Potentially jeopardising Your friends employment?

Sounds silly.

Agent_24
23-08-2012, 10:01 PM
If this is really the case, why aren't you being honest with the computer's user and asking them for permission to take this step?

I would expect it's the user that wants the thing "broken"

johnd
23-08-2012, 10:03 PM
Interferring with a company laptop to try and force a path of action is not malicious??

pctek
24-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Its for my mate who's very small 5-10 person company is managed by third party IT company.

His laptop is excruciatingly slow and bloated. They wont do it and just tell him to wait until he gets a new laptop as part of the refresh schedule.
So tell him this is the cure, as said by other PC techs.
But I sure wouldn't trash it just to make him do it. IT's unethical.

mikebartnz
24-08-2012, 12:54 PM
+1.

Deliberately breaking someone's computer without their knowledge or permission in order to force them into a particular course of action, especially when they've explicitly told you that they don't want this, strikes me as rather unethical.
+1
Very unethical I would say especially as it is a work laptop.