PDA

View Full Version : Windows wont start intermittently. Suspect hardware?

fuzzee
23-08-2012, 01:08 PM
I have a household desktop with 5 users each with their own user account. OS XP SP3.
A couple of weeks ago we noticed that Windows would not load sometimes at bootup.
The desktop is turned on and off regularly at different times of the day by family members.
I thought it may have been a virus/malware but MSE, Superantispyware and Malwarebytes show no problems.
I thought I'd better backup our Documents etc so thanks to Wainuitech for your posts on FBackup which works great.

When Windows wont load I tried booting into Safe Mode. I can get to the screen that says select OS but when
I hit the ENTER button it wont go any further. I have had to turn off the power to SHUTDOWN as using the RESET button
brings me back to the same place. In the last couple of days I have noticed that if it is off overnight in the morning Windows
will boot normally.

So I suspect that the problem may be a hardware heat problem because it boots OK when off overnight.
When it does go there doesnt appear to be any problem and will run all day OK. Power supply 500watt Hyena. Yes crap.
Graphics 8600GT.

What are your thoughts? Thanks for any suggestions. I may or may not be able to get back to answer any questions.

Thanks

KarameaDave
23-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Cleaned the dust out of the heatsinks?
Thermal paste deteriorated?
Case fan (if fitted) Working?
Aren't those 8 series nvidia cards the ones with heat issues? (or just in lappies?)

pctek
23-08-2012, 02:22 PM
In the last couple of days I have noticed that if it is off overnight in the morning Windows
will boot normally.

Thoughts - why in hell would you keep the Hyena when you actually know it's crap?

Could be overheating but if it was, it would shut off straight away - often.

Probably that nasty Hyena...