PDA

View Full Version : IE-9 driving me nuts!

mzee
22-08-2012, 04:37 PM
When I use IE-9 it keeps asking me if I wish to use active-x. On the asumption that if active-x was not safe Microsoft would not include it with the OS, I wish it would shut up and get on with it! How can I instruct IE-9 to use active-x when necessary?

wainuitech
22-08-2012, 04:47 PM
In IE - tools/Internet Options/ Security Tab, Costume Level - Scroll down till you locate eh Active X controls, alter to suit.

dugimodo
22-08-2012, 05:11 PM
It does it for a reasonably good reason, active-X is one possible source of malware and security exploits etc and if it's just let run automatically and you find yourself on a dodgy website it could cause you problems.

pctek
23-08-2012, 12:02 PM
if active-x was not safe Microsoft would not include it
LOL.

Windows isn't safe, they include that...

ThePanda
05-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Usually I'll just ignore the message and move on, but after reading dugimodo's comments, I'm glad i'm a Chrome/Firefox user.

Agent_24
05-09-2012, 01:38 PM
Active-X itself is not bad, it's what you can do with it that might be. Allowing any and all active-x controls to run on any pages presents a security problem.

You should really only allow those which you know to be safe.

Of course, figuring out which ones is the fun part!

mzee
06-09-2012, 12:45 AM
If all the other Browsers work without Active X, why does Microsoft use it?

Agent_24
06-09-2012, 01:30 AM
If all the other Browsers work without Active X, why does Microsoft use it?

Because Microsoft invented it.

The other browsers don't support it, which is why some things which use it require you to use IE.

stratex5
06-09-2012, 09:11 AM
In XP, ActiveX is used for analysing your pc for MicroSoft Security Updates. Dont allow ActiveX Control, unless you have lauched a specific program which has lauched IE. Doesnt the online virus scanner (forgot the name) use ActiveX?