PDA

View Full Version : iPad - which model do you recommend?

John H
21-08-2012, 02:44 PM
SWMBO has had her heart set on getting an iPad for some time now - I have checked out the iPad2 and the third generation iPad in a couple of shops I have been in, and can see the difference in resolution between the two models. However I have been spooked by how hot the 3rd generation model feels.

What is the general consensus now that this generation iPad has been out for a few months - is it worth spending the extra $ on the later model? Are there any problems related to the extra heat?

Thanks for any thoughts.

PS I am not going to get an iPad for myself - I prefer the Android beasties I have had a play with...

FAB
21-08-2012, 04:01 PM
HI John

I haven't owned the 2 model so can't comment on the difference, but don't understand all the 'gets hot' stories about the 3. Admittedly mine is in a case but even out of the case, just have not felt it get hot, charging or otherwise.
I love having the built-in 3G and would not get another tablet of any sort without it, but then I have a use for that and I know many don't.
Sorry - this probably hasn't helped much!

CYaBro
21-08-2012, 04:33 PM
My sister and mother both have an iPad2 and I have a new iPad (3rd gen) and I don't like using theirs as the screen just looks really bad :D
Lots of apps now being made for the higher res screen and they look awesome.

I haven't noticed mine getting hot either.

inphinity
21-08-2012, 04:40 PM
The only real reason imo to get the 3 over the 2 is the screen resolution, and it's a hefty price premium. Personally, I'd do it, because the higher screen res is nice, but if you're not fussed (try them back to back to decide), then you're probably not going to notice much for your money imo.

Nick G
21-08-2012, 04:41 PM
iPad3 (new iPad) for sure. I haven't tried one myself except in a store so I can't comment on the heat, but the screen is stunning. The main advantage to an iPad I reckon.

plod
21-08-2012, 05:02 PM
I got the 2, if your wife wont notice the screen difference, or needs a decent camera. Stick with the 2 and save some money. However if it was for me now, I would go for the new one.

John H
21-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Thanks folks - really good thoughts. I have seen them side by side in a Mac store with a stupid name in Albany, and the difference in resolution is very clear (no pun intended). People had been mucking around with the two display units, and there was a very different heat output. The 3rd gen model felt really uncomfortable in my hands. However, maybe some little twonk had been doing some heavy processing...

I suspect it is one of those things where you see them side by side and the difference in resolution is amazing, but if you take the iPad2 home, and the comparison was no longer in front of you, then it wouldn't be such a big issue. However, if new apps are being developed to make the best of the new screen, then maybe that is the way to go. And no-one is reporting admission to the penile burns unit, or a burnt out iPad, so perhaps the heat is not an issue.

However, since I posted my enquiry, SWMBO has come home from seeing a quack to say she has to have day surgery that involves a general anaesthetic. As we will be paying, maybe the purchase will have to be deferred until we find out the size of the surgeon's account.

Thanks everyone for your helpful thoughts.

FoxyMX
21-08-2012, 06:47 PM
My sister loves her iPad3 but she mentioned that it got quite hot. She uses hers a lot whilst waiting for her girls doing sports, etc and wouldn't be without it now. I don't have a use for one myself at the moment but will probably get one in a couple of years time, probably the iPad5. :p

Sorry to hear of your wife's impending surgery.

John H
21-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Thanks FoxyMX. Given what I think my wife will use it for (mainly email, browsing, taking and editing photos, reading ebooks) it may well be that she won't get it too hot - her time on her PC seems to be less than 30 mins per session.

Thanks for the comments about the surgery as well.

Neil McC
22-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Don't be too sure about that John. I bought a Kindle Fire for my wife and the amount of time spent can just fly!! Just sitting in the armchair.

John H
22-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the warning Neil! However, SWMBO mostly sits in front of a spinning wheel, and I can't see that changing markedly, given that has been her habit since 1967!

linw
23-08-2012, 08:57 AM
In case she missed the industrial revolution, tell her that they actually make wool yarn with BIG machines now!!

John H
23-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Very nice. linw. However, given that she was raised in Manchester, where one of her childhood memories is of the 'knockers up' going around every morning knocking on mill workers' windows to wake them up, and the sound of clogs on cobblestones as the mill workers went on shift, I think she has a vague awareness of the industrial revolution.

If you were one of our son's friends, you wouldn't make fun of her - all of them have home spun jerseys by now (some favoured ones have more than one), and lots of people in our family/of our acquaintance have home spun/crocheted blankets as well - Herself is an industrial revolution on her own. She had to give up the foot powered wheel a few years ago and move on to an electric wheel as a result of RSI in the treadling leg! I doubt an iPad is going to interrupt the flow too much.

SolMiester
23-08-2012, 12:13 PM
The only real reason imo to get the 3 over the 2 is the screen resolution, and it's a hefty price premium. Personally, I'd do it, because the higher screen res is nice, but if you're not fussed (try them back to back to decide), then you're probably not going to notice much for your money imo.

I have the 2, without SIM and to be honest wouldnt bother get 1 with the SIM, as WiFi is so prominent around the country, but if their is none, I just link with the iphone which has 3Gb 3G anyway...I think you can get 16Gb 2's for around $500...I have looked at the new one but TBH, didnt really see much benefit in the screen res....but didnt have much time with it..

John H
23-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Thanks SM. I had been wondering about getting a SIM model for email access as we travel around the country in our campervan, but my impression is that you can go into any local library these days and get WIFI so I don't think I will bother. There is quite a big price difference between 3G and non 3G models.

As far as the screen res is concerned, I was mainly concerned about the perceived heat issue with the 3rd gen model, rather than the resolution per se. Given that no-one here has commented adversely on that, Herself and I will go into the shop and she can make up her mind on the resolution issue because it will be her baby. However, that will now be after her operation when we see what the budget is looking like!

Zippity
23-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Go for the Samsung Galaxy Tab2 instead :)

John H
23-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Go for the Samsung Galaxy Tab2 instead :)

See my original post. Do you propose that I should put 46 years of marriage at a hazard?

Zippity
23-08-2012, 01:32 PM
See my original post. Do you propose that I should put 46 years of marriage at a hazard?

Yeas, I read your first post :)

Now it is up to you to convince her of the errors of her ways and gently direct her to the Tab2 :)

Hell. She's only a woman ;)

Nick G
23-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Zippity wants to kill you :devil

John H
23-08-2012, 02:22 PM
I only got this far through a finely tuned sense of self-preservation.

paulw
23-08-2012, 05:43 PM
You could of course wait for the Microsoft Surface to surface.. Rumor on the street it will be about NZ$450

Nick G
23-08-2012, 05:47 PM
You could of course wait for the Microsoft Surface to surface.. Rumor on the street it will be about NZ$450
I don't believe that price for a minute.

Lawrence
23-08-2012, 06:08 PM
I can see the same scenario with Tablets that we have seen LCD/plasma TV's,total saturation in the market place

Nomad
23-08-2012, 06:46 PM
I don't have a tablet .. I just put up with it, have other priorities but I can see why they are popular. In terms of the "casual" consumer side of things, to me there appears to be a wider type of software being available and being free or cheap and afaik the battery doesn't crap out after a few hours. It is cheaper than a normal laptop and more portable. The average person probably don't use enough of the office suite. If they do then they may have a tablet and a laptop.

Nick G
23-08-2012, 07:43 PM
I can see the same scenario with Tablets that we have seen LCD/plasma TV's,total saturation in the market place
Maybe, Maybe not. What's I'd like and would pay for is a tablet with a TV tuner built in. A 7incher with a Tv tuner, DLNA, NFC, maybe a HDMI port. And a sd card slot.
Media beast.

John H
01-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Well, just to update those of you who gave helpful advice. I took Herself in to buy her iPad yesterday, having given her a summary of the advice you folks gave about which model to buy. I asked the salesman to show her both the iPad2 and the 3rd gen iPad so she could see the differences, and I walked away to look wistfully at android devices so that I couldn't influence things and it would be her own choice. She chose the iPad2. She didn't see any advantage in spending an extra $150 for the 3rd gen given her likely usage. However, she is also a frugal soul, so maybe it was just the price and the fact that all the hospital bills aren't yet in...

I have had to do the setting up, and even though I was a Mac user from about 1986 to 2003 and really liked Apple products in the past, I can't say I am particularly impressed with the iPad compared with an android based device. My experience with android is on a Galaxy S2 tablet (and to a lesser extent on my Sony PRS-T1 ereader). All I can say is that android just works. The iPad is counter-intuitive in so many ways, it requires bloody iTunes to work, and the apps seem much more expensive. Android comes with a task manager and a file manager, whereas the iPad does not. I have had to really hunt down the way to do almost everything that comes standard with android. For example, getting files from her computer on to the iPad - not an issue with my Galaxy, but really convoluted with the iPad.

I had no problems getting the WIFI to connect, but all sorts of problems getting her email up and running; I missed a button at the beginning of the setup that gave a choice of IMAP or POP, and the default is IMAP, so given the fact that I hadn't noticed it, it went to IMAP. Eventually I started all over again, saw the button and chose POP, and it was fine from then on, but it was time wasted.

Maybe it is just the issue of getting used to a new platform, but I didn't have any of these issues with setting up and using the Galaxy and that was my first android experience. Still, it is not my machine, so it won't bother me from now on (I hope). If I upgrade my Galaxy though, I will go for android...

Thanks again for all your advice folks.

Chilling_Silence
01-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Just don't make the mistake of thinking you need a task manager. Android does an amazing job of managing Processes and most of the time task managers just slow things down and cause issues. You *want* the devices memory to be used, faster startup of apps next time you load them up.

John H
01-09-2012, 04:39 PM
I have mostly used Task Manager on the Galaxy to find out what has been installed (e.g. those sneaky little push things installed by Samsung Apps), to keep an eye on what is taking up space and how much I have left, and to uninstall those apps that I thought looked good but then turned out to be a waste of space. I don't use it to close down apps. There is probably no need for a Task Manager on the iPad now I have learnt how to uninstall apps. Thanks.

mikebartnz
01-09-2012, 05:45 PM
If you were one of our son's friends, you wouldn't make fun of her - all of them have home spun jerseys by now (some favoured ones have more than one), and lots of people in our family/of our acquaintance have home spun/crocheted blankets as well - Herself is an industrial revolution on her own. She had to give up the foot powered wheel a few years ago and move on to an electric wheel as a result of RSI in the treadling leg! I doubt an iPad is going to interrupt the flow too much.
Can't beat a home spun jersey. I have one that is 35 years old just on its last legs.

John H
01-09-2012, 06:21 PM
What in the world have you done to it so that it is giving up the ghost after such a brief time! You must be really hard on clothes...