PDA

View Full Version : Should I replace this computer

lostsoul62
19-08-2012, 05:25 AM
I have an AMD 955 computer and its 11/2 years old and have been giving be nothing but problems. Internet Explorer does not respond along with a lot of other programs about half the time and I have to close it and re-open it. I get error messages all the time. I canít get sound on just one program, my camera isnít recognize and a lot of other crap. I have an older computer which is an Intel E6550 and everything works on it just fine but I donít use it as much because itís my 2nd computer. I even sent back 2 Webcams because they wouldnít work. Logitech gave my computer the blue screen of death 3 times and the top of the line Microsoft webcam had so much sound distortion. So Iíve have it with this computer. Is there a program that might help? Re-Install Windows 7? Or just gut it out and go to Fryís and get a new FX-4100 with motherboard for $155 and just go from scratch?

dugimodo
19-08-2012, 07:23 AM
It could be worth doing a fresh install and starting over, make sure you have installers for all your programs and backup any data, bookmarks, e-mail address book, files etc first so you can put it all back.

Also as well as that, or maybe try it first and keep the files in case you do re-install, get the latest drivers for your motherboard from the manufacturers website and install those.

Nick G
19-08-2012, 09:53 AM
I'd back up the files first, then try a full install.

hueybot3000
19-08-2012, 01:32 PM
IE - Use a decent browser instead.

Sound and USB - I would start by removing all traces of the drivers and let windows pick them up. See if that helps. Not worth going through the hassle of a reinstall if you haven't tried them. In the past I have had usb devices interfer with sound so it could be a dodgy USB controller, someone more in the know could help diagnose that.

pctek
19-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Not worth going through the hassle of a reinstall

If you've had so long, then for sure it's worth a fresh install. Windows does not improve the longer it's on a PC.

hueybot3000
19-08-2012, 03:30 PM
If its been on there that long its quite likely that tracking down installers for all the software would be time consuming. Sure if it's all easy to get then go for it but I have lost enough software through reinstalls to think twice before just doing it

Iantech
19-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Without knowing specifics about all the errors, I think there is a hardware issue going on here and I would be surprised if a re-install would solve all the problems. Areas I would be looking at would be PSU, Ram, Motherboard, CPU. Try installing some stress test or diagnostic software to test your hardware.

gary67
19-08-2012, 05:44 PM
You could just donate the computer to me and in the interests of looking after for you on a permanent basis I could get it going again :devil

8ftmetalhaed
19-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Provided you're not changing anything major and have sufficient backup capability then I imagine a reinstall wouldn't be too bad.
If it wasn't for my drives buggering about (discs didn't work for the laptop, bracket for my bloody SSD didn't fit my case) then it would have taken about 30 minutes instead of 4+ hours each.

kingdragonfly
20-08-2012, 03:54 PM
The AMD 955 is a reasonably recent PC.

Has it ever worked well?

I'd try the following:

1) run MemCheck86+ freeware from a bootable USB drive (yes, it should work on an AMD 955)

it won't fix / change anything. It just tests the RAM.
http://www.memtest.org/

2) fresh install, with only Microsoft updates and the most recent drivers from you motherboard's website

3) stress test it with FurMark 3d, which will give a general feel whether it's a stable PC with good video device driver, GPU, and sufficient power supply

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

4) Install anti-virus software, then start installing your applications.