PDA

View Full Version : How best to handle moving user data and program files folders?

8ftmetalhaed
19-08-2012, 12:28 AM
Just installed windows on the new SSD after much frustration, now I'm trying to work out how best to move the program files and other such folders.
Ideally I want something that makes programs automatically install to the extra drive, but I've just edited the registry to point to 'd:/programfiles' and such and it's caused a few problems. Though I haven't actually copied anything over as of yet -_-

8ftmetalhaed
19-08-2012, 01:05 AM
nevermind, aside from breaking windows and accidentally erasing all my old data drive, I've shifted stuff using the windows library shifting thing, and I'm the only one who installs things so I'll just make a 'programs' folder on the data drive.

Bryan
19-08-2012, 07:53 AM
You do realise that "Programs" need to be installed, not just coped across. Data files can be copied but not the programs as they affect the reigistry.

8ftmetalhaed
19-08-2012, 09:47 AM
Yes I know, but I edited the registry to change where program files pointed to. I accidentally pointed to the system reserved partition of the old drive, without anything in it, and had to use the boot disc to do a system restore -_-

Further still, when I went to delete the other partition I accidentally deleted the DATA partition, losing all my old data. Thankfully I took backups of everything because I figured something like that would happen -_-