PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 Pro x64 upgrade from Windows 7 Pro x64

chiefnz
18-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Ok so I took the plunge into Windows 8 and.... I am pleasantly surprised :p

Burnt the iso and ran setup within my existing Windows 7 install. The upgrade process from start to finish was about 20-30 mins.

The interface is "weird" in that the OS is obviously designed for a touch screen but one can navigate reasonably well using a mouse.

One tip I would give is to have a shortcut on your desktop for your most commonly used applications. The new START pane can be customized by adding "tiles" for your favorite applications etc.

Things I like;

Windows seems zippier and overall navigation around Windows Explorer is really smooth. I like the MS Office "FEEL" they have given Windows Explorer. You can hide or expand the command bar which I have to say has been given a great facelift with easy access to the common "explorer" features one would use, my favorite being the "Share" tab which allows you to email, burn to disc, zip, print, fax and share with other users in one click. You can also disable sharing with a single click.

"Cloud" integration using your Windows Live/Hotmail/Outlook.com email address is pretty cool allowing you to sign into windows with your MS account giving you instant access to Windows Live features such as SkyDrive etc. I'm not using this at the moment as I have far to much email related stuff to migrate, though having said that the new Outlook.com product does allow importing messages from other accounts in the same way Gmail does.

Applications with issues (mainly not being compatible with Windows 8)

ACDSee Pro 3
Total Video Converter
Acronis Disk Director 11
Nero 10 (won't even start up, and no error messages from Windows)
VMware Workstation, is compatible but needs to be re-installed to make Windows happy, so not a complete loss in the least.
Windows gadgets no longer run, from what I've seen MS have removed this from Windows 8, which is a shame as they are quite handy but not something I can't do without.

The above is not completely unexpected, as I had the same issues when moving to Windows 7. Apart from Nero not working at all the other apps do work though Windows does "complain" about their incompatibility.

All in all I'm pretty happy with what they have done which says a lot given all the hype since Windows 8 was announced and demo'd.
There is a clear absence of the "anxiety" one is used to feeling when trying a new MS OS or at the very least it is minimal in comparison to the release of previous platforms.
I'm not in the least bit inclined to go back to my old Windows 7 install, though having said that I prudently made a backup of my Windows 7 install :p

Next... well toying with the idea of uninstalling Office 2010 and replacing it with the Office 2013 Preview release but might wait a while before relinquishing any type of end user sanity I may have left.

Good job Microsoft, you kept it simple but integrated a myriad of features the average user will find relevant, easy to use and in my opinion productive.

Cheers,

wainuitech
18-08-2012, 06:31 PM
One program that DOES not work is The Media Center.

In the Preview you could download and install it Via Free Key From MS.
In the RTM you cant install it ( yet), as the Free Trial key wont work, and as of yet you cant purchase a Key either.

MS obviously have not got this working yet, should be OK by the time general public have it.
Guess the Media Center PC will stay as Preview option currently. :)

Never mind got DVD playback and other Video working fine.

The RTM does seem a bit more "snappy"

The "start" menu Apps are defiantly a lot more snappier.

Then of course one of the first things that were added were the restart and shutdown buttons ;)

Neil McC
18-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Any idea of NZ prices,wainuitech? Thanks.

wainuitech
18-08-2012, 06:52 PM
No idea yet, except the upgrade from W7 if purchased in the time period MS have created is $20. https://windowsupgradeoffer.com/en/Home/Faq

I'll be calling a supplier on Monday, may have to "bend their ear" and try to get some prices. :D

Currently I'm evaluating it from TechNet.

Edited: this may sound silly, but It appears to be getting faster as I use it, must have done its indexing I guess. It feels faster than my W7 machine, and this one is LOW spec. - An old P4 3.0Ghz, with 4GB RAM, x64 OS.

Nick G
18-08-2012, 07:08 PM
What's the time period? I have this sinking feeling I just missed out.

wainuitech
18-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Have a look through the FAQ in the link in my previous post Nick, theres quite a bit of info, but the dates are between 2 June 2012 and 31 January 2013

Nick G
18-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Ok, Cheers Wainuitech, I'll have a look and see if I get in.

linw
19-08-2012, 03:09 PM
There's also the cheap upgrade from Xp, Vista and W7. $US40 it seems. It is Pro with WMC. Can't use the cheap upgrade over the top of a previous win 8 install, though.

chiefnz
19-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Two things...

1) Any idea if the Windows.old folder can be deleted after upgrade?

2) Is there any way to default "File Explorer" (previously Windows Explorer) to "My Computer" rather than "libraries" like in Windows 7?

Thanks,

wainuitech
19-08-2012, 06:32 PM
There's also the cheap upgrade from Xp, Vista and W7. $US40 it seems. It is Pro with WMC. Can't use the cheap upgrade over the top of a previous win 8 install, though. The Full install RTM doesn't come with WMC, the upgrade may, but thats only upgrading from an older version.

Lots of people on technet and other various forums who have got the RTM are all complain about WMC not being available yet. Even if you try to purchase a Product key all MS's servers do is say there is an error -- Seems they are a little slow on getting this feature active yet ;)

dugimodo
19-08-2012, 09:59 PM
A lot of people seem to always been keen to get new versions immediately, but I like to give it a few months for any bugs to show up and be fixed and for some real feedback instead of the kneejerk response you get to them when people first try it out.
I had a preview version running on an old P4 but it the hardware died and the newer version wouldn't install on a P4 when I fixed it, my initial reaction was the "metro" interface was fugly and clumsy but I'm sure you'd get used to it.

I personally think MS are pinning a bit of hope on their app store doing well and making money and that's part of the reason for the cheap upgrade options to create a customer base.

CYaBro
20-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Then of course one of the first things that were added were the restart and shutdown buttons ;)

Where are you talking about for these? I don't see them anywhere new...

wainuitech
20-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Where are you talking about for these? I don't see them anywhere new... You have to make them, they are not there by default.

I Simply made a folder and put everything in it ( I put them in the C Drive) then create two shortcuts to the shutdown exe add in the correct switches. Throw in a couple of Icons you want to use, then right click pin to Task bar / Pin to Start and viola- Instant shutdown & restarts.

Since they are in a single folder, you can copy its contents and drop it into any PC, and they will work.

Screen shots of Start / Task Bar and Shortcut details:

4116 & 4117 & 4118

gary67
20-08-2012, 05:43 PM
I wonder how many plebs are going to take their new computers back because they can't shut them down like they used to. Could be a bit of money it for you there Wainui putting that folder onto peoples new computers and charging them for fixing it

Poppa John
20-08-2012, 05:54 PM
So how do you shut W8 computer down? PJ

wainuitech
20-08-2012, 06:14 PM
To shut it down normally, watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m6-ExUSFGQ The other way is to move the mouse to the right and "bump" the side of the screen the charm menu pops open, then as per that video OR by key strokes Alt+F4 will bring up the older style shut down/ restart/ box as long as you are on the normal desktop, not the Windows 8 apps / Metro or what ever its called now.

Could be a bit of money it for you there Wainui putting that folder onto peoples new computers and charging them for fixing it :D