PDA

View Full Version : Slow PC and Windows Explorer Crashes

Nick G
17-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Ok,
My dad's work laptop (Lenovo, core2 duo @ 2.5ghz, 4gb Ram, 320gb HDD, upgraded by his work to windows7 enterprise 64bit) is having problems. Windows explorer is crashing frequently, I had a look at windows reliablility monitor and it has been crashing several time a week for around a month. Even when not crashing, it is running very slowly, lagging badly, with a lot of programs crashing (firefox, opera, M$ word, powerpoint, excel to name a few). And the boot time is slow. I had a look at his startups, and they are pretty good, same with his installed programs. However, I did note he had 3! antivirus programs installed - MSE, Avira, and Sophos. He doesn't have an option about sophos, his work requires it. I'm definitely going to uninstall Avira, and MSE as well? Sophos is unfortunately untouchable.

Speccy has the cpu running at around 54 when idle, so I'm also going to get compressed air and clean out the vents. I am about to run the ESET online scanner as well, and then I'll run hijack this and make a log.

But, any ideas?

wainuitech
17-08-2012, 03:04 PM
1st thing that comes to mind, where you say "Upgraded to W7" was it from an existing OS Eg: Vista or was it a fresh install. ?

If it was a upgrade over Vista BIG MISTAKE putting a good OS on top of one thats known to be unstable is not a good idea.

Nick G
17-08-2012, 03:11 PM
It originally had xp
it was upgraded to 7

at no stage was vista involved :)

17-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Just to cover your ass & you fathers ass .............
He should talk to his works IT support before you do anything. They may take a dim view of others putting there fingers into it.

But there is an issue that a corporate laptop has managed to have 3 AV's loaded on it. Someone down the line obviously had no idea what they were doing... Not you, you spotted it.

Nick G
17-08-2012, 03:19 PM
1101, I'd agree. The antivirus story goes like this. His work insists on Sophos on all machines, so its on there. But, the let the users effectively own it as long as they still work there, so its also his personal pc, and he's got admin rights to it. So, he installed his favourite on top (avira). I found out it was running slowly and said remove avira and install MSE (didn't know about sophos then). He installed mse without removing any of the others. I think that may explain the boot times....

Nick G
17-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Edit, couple of mistakes in my first post. The cpu is only getting to mid 40s when idle, its the mobo which is in the low to mid 50s.

wainuitech
17-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Agree with 1101, let the IT department handle it, they may go nuts if others fiddle.

You should ONLY have one AV, as they will all fight one another.

Upgrading From XP - seen it countless times, upgrade causing problems. If there is any faults or corruption on XP, they wont be fixed by installing W7 over the top. Bit like building a good house design on dodgy foundations - doesn't matter how good the house is the foundations are crap.

17-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Upgrading From XP - seen it countless times, upgrade causing problems. If there is any faults or corruption on XP, they wont be fixed by installing W7 over the top.

Doesnt the Win7 'upgrade' actually do a complete new install ,ie its not actually an upgrade ???
Ive never tried this myself, cant see why anyone would spend the $$ to put Win7 on old XP hardware

coldot
17-08-2012, 05:20 PM
... cant see why anyone would spend the $$ to put Win7 on old XP hardware
Money. If the old XP hardware is capable - and many are - then it is less outlay than a new box.

wainuitech
17-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Doesnt the Win7 'upgrade' actually do a complete new install ,ie its not actually an upgrade ???
Ive never tried this myself, cant see why anyone would spend the $$ to put Win7 on old XP hardware To be honest I cant remember exactly, only ever done it once and it was a total mess. ( from memory) it did import all the programs, data etc, but it was unstable , crashing and slow as a wet week. I ended up wiping the drive and doing a fresh install, that went in fine with no problems and the speed was much better.

Nick G
17-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Agree with 1101, let the IT department handle it, they may go nuts if others fiddle.You should ONLY have one AV, as they will all fight one another.Upgrading From XP - seen it countless times, upgrade causing problems. If there is any faults or corruption on XP, they wont be fixed by installing W7 over the top. Bit like building a good house design on dodgy foundations - doesn't matter how good the house is the foundations are crap.Yea, I know about the AVthere were no faults on xp, no crashes of windows explorer etc. Only started happening after the upgrade. The upgrade was done by the techs.IT department are pretty hands off, I can have a go safely.

Nick G
17-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Well, this explains everything. Problem explained if not sorted. All computers connect to a network, and most things (windows explorer, the search function in the start bar etc) run back and forth from the network. The network isn't being maintained correctly, as such it lags, runs slowly, and crashes. Booting into safe mode (which bypasses the network connection) runs very well, fast, no crashes, no lag. Things like right clicks don't take 30 seconds to display the content, searches come up instantly, runs smoothly. So, unfortunately, I can't do anything apart from uninstalling Avira.

Still, thanks for the ideas and suggestions. :thumbs: