PDA

View Full Version : Very long boot times.

HighLatency
16-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Hi there guys,

I'm after some help, over the last few months I've noticed that my boot times have been increasing, to the point where it's getting ridiculous. The last time it took to boot was roughly 5 minutes! So I've decided to try and find out what is causing it, sadly, I've had no luck. I've had a look in the event viewer and its showing that there is something that is constantly taking forever to boot but I can't find out what it is. I'm actually not sure if this will be of any help at all but this is showing a HUUUUGE time booting.

Running Windows 7 x64 (Freshly updated last night).

I know that I have likely missed out some information that would be helpful but please just let me know and I'll try to provide anything you need. ANY help is appreciated.

Nick G
16-08-2012, 06:37 PM
How many startup entries do you have? You can find these by going into CCleaner, tools, startups.
Or msconfig, startup. CCleaner is better though.

HighLatency
16-08-2012, 06:41 PM

That's all I have running at this point.

gary67
16-08-2012, 06:52 PM
do things like steam, google updater, adobe stuff need to run at startup?

HighLatency
16-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Nope, not at all. I'll be happy to disable them but should that really be what's causing the 5 minute boot up time?

Nick G
16-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Could easily be. Things like QuickTime Task and iTunes helper don't need to be there as well.
Disable as much as possible, and see if your boot time improves a lot.

wainuitech
16-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Has it always booted slow, or just started over the last few months? Interesting that all your program files are on Drive E, may or may not be helping.

Try booting in safe mode - Does it boot a lot quicker or the same ?

zqwerty
16-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Look in Task Manager Processes tab (right click taskbar select task manager) at boot time and see what is using the time which should be System Idle Process around 98%

HighLatency
16-08-2012, 08:49 PM
The part that is taking it's time loading is the "Starting Windows" screen. When it reaches the login window, it's as fast as it normally is.

icow
16-08-2012, 08:59 PM
What anti-virus do you have installed? Does it run at startup?

HighLatency
16-08-2012, 09:55 PM
I use Microsoft Security Essentials and yes, It's runs on start up.

I'm not sure if this is worth mentioning but it can't hurt. This actually happened a little while ago but I re installed onto another HDD (upgraded to a 1tb) and it was perfectly fine for a couple of months, then it came back again.

Iantech
16-08-2012, 10:43 PM
The second entry "IsDegradation". yours says "true" which means that there is a programme resulting in performance degradation in the startup process (It should say "false"). Disable all your startup entries apart from MSE and see if its any faster, if it is, enable one at a time and find out what programme is slowing it down. It may be a case of uninstalling and reinstalling to fix it. Or it may possibly be caused by an out of date or faulting driver in which case you remove the driver, restart and let windows detect it and install the driver - or if you know the driver, download the latest from the manufacturers website.