PDA

View Full Version : How to stop dog urinating on my tyres?

SKT174
15-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Is there any thing I can buy to spray on my tyres that will drives them away?

It's getting very annoying ... (it's not my dog and i don't own one either)

Bryan
15-08-2012, 04:06 PM
There are prparations you can get from a garden shop designed o keep them off plants. they will probably work.

Maybe an ammonia base like Handy Andy or Jenola but these probably wont last too long before you would need to do it again.

trig42
15-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Chilli. Like a pepper spray. They prbably won't want to go near that.

Iantech
15-08-2012, 04:13 PM
a bullet will stop it. You can buy some spray stuff (squerty bottle thing) from the super market but I hear ammonia or vinegar work just as good.

johcar
15-08-2012, 04:16 PM
What's black and round and hunts in packs of four and ****s dogs?

Tyres.

Gobe1
15-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Doesnt ammonia attract them? or is that cats??
Pepper or chilli would be the one as suggested, dont get it in your eyes tho

CliveM
15-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Keep moving. They will only urinate on stationary tyres.

pctek
15-08-2012, 04:43 PM
Never ammonia. It's whats in pee.....

Pet Shops and Vets sell this stuff - forget the name - Pet Repellent of some name...it works.

You would need to re-apply, especially after driving through the wet.

Lawrence
15-08-2012, 04:56 PM
The stuff you are thinking of is Skunk shot http://www.reptilez.co.nz/skunk-shot-gel-repellent/

Have some and really stinks,won't make you many friends though but will stop dogs peeing on your tyres

SKT174
15-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Iantech
15-08-2012, 05:15 PM
RE: Ammonia.

from http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-make-homemade-dog-repellent.htm

•Citrus
Dogs find the smell of citrus horrendous. You can protect your garden by placing slices of oranges or lemons throughout the flowerbed. To keep your dog off of your furniture, place a glass of lemon water on a nearby table or spray your furniture with the mixture [source: Moore].
•Cayenne Peppers
Though cayenne peppers will not harm your dog, it will irritate its eyes, nose and throat. To keep your dog out of your flowerbed, grind a mixture of black pepper and cayenne pepper, and sprinkle it throughout your garden [source: Farley]. A good trick for getting your dog to avoid the upholstery is to sprinkle cayenne pepper in your potpourri or leave a bowl of ornamental chilies next to the sofa.
•Vinegar
Dogs strongly dislike the odor of vinegar. Vinegar can be potentially dangerous for plants, so don't spray vinegar in your garden. Instead, douse biodegradable coffee filters in white vinegar and allow them to dry in the sun. Once completely dried, cut the filters into thin strips about the length of a toothpick. Spreading the strips throughout your garden will repel your dog and allow your flowers to thrive [source: Moore].
•Ammonia
Ammonia is the most effective dog repellent. To keep dogs off your furniture, clean your floors with an ammonia-based solution. For the garden, you can use the same method mentioned above for vinegar, replacing the vinegar with ammonia. Never pour or spray ammonia onto your lawn or flowers, because it could kill them.

prefect
15-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Bullet will always work but do not shoot the dog by the tyre.

Agent_24
15-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Set some sort of wire mesh up between the dog and the tyres, and connect said mesh to an electric fence power unit?

R2x1
15-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Many years ago in Rotorua I had this problem, not long after I got home each afternoon a neighbour's mongrel would carefully pee on the tyres. After some discussions a group of us set up a mild deterrent - we left the engine idling with one plug lead connected to a wire stuck into the ground. (Getting out of the vehicle was tricky, getting back in later was more so.) The dog arrived, raised a leg, and departed vertically, turned in mid air and hit the ground running, on three legs initially. The howling started about two sections (or about 1-1/2 seconds) into its journey, still accelerating. There was some debate on whether a Doppler effect could be noted, but from then on the dog was notable for keeping to the other side of the street in our vicinity.

I have wondered ever since how to adapt the principle to wandering politicians, so far without any luck.

pctek
16-08-2012, 12:12 PM
The stuff you are thinking of is Skunk shot http://www.reptilez.co.nz/skunk-shot-gel-repellent/

Nope.
This:

http://shop.countdown.co.nz/Shop/ProductDetails?Stockcode=272380&name=vitapet-pet-repellent-cat-dog-trigger

SP8's
16-08-2012, 03:55 PM

Perhaps this may help ... :devil

Cato
16-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Vinegar also works.

WalOne
16-08-2012, 07:04 PM
Don't forget to fill plastic bottles with water, and tie them to your bumpers and door handles :devil

gary67
16-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Sell the car and walk or take the bus

Agent_24
16-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Sell the car and walk or take the bus

Catch the dog and make it tow you on a sled!

KarameaDave
16-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Give up this restless need to move, stay stationary long enough, dog will eat you, end of issue. :D

R2x1
16-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Lurk on the car and pee on the dog.

Bobh
16-08-2012, 10:16 PM

Perhaps this may help ... :devil
This is a bit like the car insurance TV advert where the car owner goes to extremes to protect his car. He even has a moat around his car filled with sharks. This would certainly keep parking wardens and dogs away.

SurferJoe46
17-08-2012, 04:32 AM
I had tomcats doing the same until I sneekly went out one dark ('dark' is an operative here) evening when there was no moon, and urinated on the tires myself.

OK - rash as it may seem - I never had a cat try that again and perhaps, by extension, it would work with a dog too.

1) Dark is important
2) Wear a kimono style robe, of sufficient length (note to self: should not be an afterthought)
3) Aim carefully, as marksmanship in absence of light is questionable at best.
4) Those with prostate problems should take extra care to at least achieve some trajectory besides: down.
5) Do not grin upon reentering one's abode, since a smiling male is always subject to intense questioning by one's spouse.
6) We never had this conversation.

mikebartnz
17-08-2012, 12:03 PM
I had tomcats doing the same until I sneekly went out one dark ('dark' is an operative here) evening when there was no moon, and urinated on the tires myself.

OK - rash as it may seem - I never had a cat try that again and perhaps, by extension, it would work with a dog too.

1) Dark is important
2) Wear a kimono style robe, of sufficient length (note to self: should not be an afterthought)
3) Aim carefully, as marksmanship in absence of light is questionable at best.
4) Those with prostate problems should take extra care to at least achieve some trajectory besides: down.
5) Do not grin upon reentering one's abode, since a smiling male is always subject to intense questioning by one's spouse.
6) We never had this conversation.
I'll back that up. Doing so yourself works a treat. You are marking your patch:D

SurferJoe46
17-08-2012, 12:17 PM
I KNEW I'd find an ally somewhere.

BobM
17-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Ford Model T coils were used very successful many years ago, as some of our 'older' readers will remember. :)

Marvin Barrett
17-08-2012, 09:31 PM
If you know who is the owner of the dog then talk to them or I would use some type of dog repellent (don’t know any brands).

mikebartnz
17-08-2012, 09:59 PM
If you know who is the owner of the dog then talk to them or I would use some type of dog repellent (don’t know any brands).
Well done Marvin.

SurferJoe46
18-08-2012, 12:51 AM
Ford Model T coils were used very successful many years ago, as some of our 'older' readers will remember. :)

C'mon, Bob! How're ya gonna get the dog to turn the crank?

R2x1
18-08-2012, 08:44 AM
With correct application of the secondary voltage, the dog will be capable of enthusiastically energetic turns.

BobM
18-08-2012, 03:09 PM
C'mon, Bob! How're ya gonna get the dog to turn the crank? That's why Grand Dad always took Grand Ma with him when he went out. :) :)

Paul.Cov
18-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Given that dogs are meant to be restrained, a word to the council to alert them to a wandering dog may also achieve the desired result... in a round about sort of way.

Wonder if I should apply SJ's solution to the neighbourhood cats peeing at the front door.

Anyone got a repellant for the endlessly pestering HRV reps? So far nothing short of a trespass notice has worked with them. THey just keep on pestering.

plod
18-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Given that dogs are meant to be restrained, a word to the council to alert them to a wandering dog may also achieve the desired result... in a round about sort of way.

Wonder if I should apply SJ's solution to the neighbourhood cats peeing at the front door.

Anyone got a repellant for the endlessly pestering HRV reps? So far nothing short of a trespass notice has worked with them. THey just keep on pestering.Put a DVS sticker on your front door

gary67
18-08-2012, 10:23 PM

Anyone got a repellant for the endlessly pestering HRV reps? So far nothing short of a trespass notice has worked with them. THey just keep on pestering.

Tell them you are moving worked for us, then we did move soon after anyway

lazydog
20-08-2012, 05:59 PM
You can buy a cat/dog repellent herb from most garden shops.