PDA

View Full Version : A new IT service provider - how hard can it be?

FAB
13-08-2012, 11:36 AM
I am not here seeking a new IT provider, but just wanted to point out how I can't see just how some companies stay in business.

I contract for a small 60-user org in Wellington. I'm only here part time as there just isn't enough work for a full-time person, and fair enough.

However the company we currently use when I am away on holiday is not up to the job and has consistently let us down in some areas.

So - I was asked to seek out another company. I went googling to find companies that are close to our location.
Company number one - went to website, looks ok so filled out contact form and waited. And waited, and waited. After two weeks flagged them.
Company number two - same scenario, two weeks no response.
Company number three - decided to email them directly asking them to come and meet us to discuss. Two weeks, no response. Not the sort of company I have faith in (any of them so far).

About to email another company - hopefully we will get an actual response.

Am I being too picky?? We want to give money to someone, I would have thought they would want extra work...the companies I looked at all worked with similar sized orgs as ours, so it wasn't a case of 'we are too small'.

Comments?

linw
13-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Agree, the lack of response to website contacts is appalling. And it is not just IT companies that are guilty as charged.

Probaly most of us could quote cases of complete silence after an enquiry.

Like you say, how do they stay in business with those attitudes.

ronyville
13-08-2012, 12:34 PM
I don't fill out online forms, don't like the waiting game much. Find it far easier to just pick up the phone and ring them, explain what I am after and see what they have to offer.

Chilling_Silence
13-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Yeah that's pretty crap. If I was you I'd ditch the lot of them and keep searching...

mikebartnz
13-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Doesn't surprise me as I often think a lot of IT firms don't know how to use IT.
Years ago I sent a fax order for some software and then the next day to back it up I sent a snail mail order of the same with confirmation all over it and the date I faxed it. Guess which one got processed first?

The Error Guy
13-08-2012, 03:00 PM
I have had great responses from a lot of NZ based email forms. Some of the best service has come from Aixiz lasers whom have excellent customer service. Always polite and fast!

I would say though that a lot of people through email have become slack and informal due to the lack of face to face contact.

pctek
13-08-2012, 04:31 PM
just wanted to point out how I can't see just how some companies stay in business.

beats me. I guess the NZ public are not really complainers. I know customers of large companies getting crap service and it takes them an age to even consider moving to someone else.

Companies say it a lot - customer service, blah, blah. And that's all it is, hot air coming out their mouths.
Most don't really give a ****.

I should know, I worked for a few....

wainuitech
13-08-2012, 09:50 PM
I contract for a small 60-user org in Wellington. I'm only here part time as there just isn't enough work for a full-time person, and fair enough.

However the company we currently use when I am away on holiday is not up to the job and has consistently let us down in some areas.
Depending on the work thats required when you are needed, and the way that was written, I hope thats not how you filled out any forms or explained it.

I can see why some places wouldn't respond.

1. Its only part time to start with.
2. And only When away on holiday.

Any place that does the same sort of work (depending on what it is) could see it as a Nuisance or not worth their time.

Many bigger places don't want what basically comes down to a "fill in" while you are away.

You would be far better off contacting a smaller place that doesn't mind.

I have several small businesses set up like that, biggest is 15 people, they call when theres a problem and I make an appointment to go see them. Depending on the problem I can juggle any jobs around if its Urgent - or come now we are in the sh1t big time :eek: !!!! In cases like that I try to get there asap, same day.

Had that with one a month or so back - someone had "fiddled" with the router and took the whole place down lol. They had lost the wireless for some reasons so some bright spark decide the reset button was a good idea :badpc:

Greven
13-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Had that with one a month or so back - someone had "fiddled" with the router and took the whole place down lol. They had lost the wireless for some reasons so some bright spark decide the reset button was a good idea :badpc:

I had a fun time a while ago where I had a wireless router with DHCP turned off to act as a small switch & provide wireless. The router somehow got reset to default settings & was competing with the server to give out DHCP addresses. 99% of the time, the server won.

Nikit07
13-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Sounds like a job for Target! :D

FAB
14-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Hey WT
Yup - that's why I spelled out exactly what are requirements are. But then if they weren't interested, how hard can it be to send an email saying 'sorry not worth our while' or similar? You never know what starts out as a small job can turn into a bigger one...

Depending on the work thats required when you are needed, and the way that was written, I hope thats not how you filled out any forms or explained it.

I can see why some places wouldn't respond.

1. Its only part time to start with.
2. And only When away on holiday.

Any place that does the same sort of work (depending on what it is) could see it as a Nuisance or not worth their time.

Many bigger places don't want what basically comes down to a "fill in" while you are away.

You would be far better off contacting a smaller place that doesn't mind.

I have several small businesses set up like that, biggest is 15 people, they call when theres a problem and I make an appointment to go see them. Depending on the problem I can juggle any jobs around if its Urgent - or come now we are in the sh1t big time :eek: !!!! In cases like that I try to get there asap, same day.

mikebartnz
14-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Hey WT
Yup - that's why I spelled out exactly what are requirements are. But then if they weren't interested, how hard can it be to send an email saying 'sorry not worth our while' or similar? You never know what starts out as a small job can turn into a bigger one...
I just did a job I wouldn't have even contemplated if I had had plenty and it looks like I could get plenty more from it.

wainuitech
14-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Hey WT
Yup - that's why I spelled out exactly what are requirements are. But then if they weren't interested, how hard can it be to send an email saying 'sorry not worth our while' or similar? You never know what starts out as a small job can turn into a bigger one... Its easy to say why didn't they reply, and the reasons I gave may or may not be the case. Many bigger places could see your request as a pain to them and just dump your request with not a second thought.

Thats why I mentioned you would be better off contacting someone smaller. Who could step in when away on holiday.

I've just gotten off the phone to a place in Aussie, similar thing, says 7 business days to process the request - that was over 2 weeks ago, called them and I asked if there was a problem - the guy looked it up and said no its all approved and ready to go, just they hadn't got around to entering my details in their dealer system, but it will be done in a couple of days. I'm not holding my breath lol.

FAB
14-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Understand Wainui - that's why I contacted smaller places that had profiles showing they dealt with smaller orgs, like ours. I didn't bother with the Big Guns.

wainuitech
14-08-2012, 01:56 PM
If you dont mind me asking, what sort of support do you provide, and how often do you need to go in to "sort out problems"