PDA

View Full Version : My computer hates pci wireless cards

icow
12-08-2012, 07:14 PM
I've been through 3 pci wireless cards all of them with the same symptoms. Wireless connection is fine when the card is installed for a few days (I get the correct speed from speedtest), then it drops to 2 or 3 bars (internet dl speed drops from 10.3mbps to 2-3mbps). Then finally completely drops the connection and cannot see the network I was connected to. I know the wireless itself isn't dropping as my laptop shows full (5?) bars in the same room at the same time. I would just share ethernet from my laptop to my pc but my laptop has decided that it doesn't want to do that anymore (I made a thread about this previously, one day it just started working again). It doesn't matter what pci slot I use I get the same problems. 99% sure the pci slots themselves are fine as my soundcard works fine in both of them. The 3 cards I have used are: 1x Generic DSE one that uses inbuilt windows drivers, 1x Linksys (can't remember the model, it didnt have official windows 7 drivers so I had to manually install ones from the internet) and 1x Dlink GWL - G510 (with official windows 7 drivers). 99% it isn't a driver clash either as I have reinstalled windows recently and the dlink is the first wireless card that I have used on this install. Could heat be a factor? (it doesnt seem to matter if I put my soundcard next to my gpu though or the wireless card the card still fails). Cards generally stop working under load e.g. online games and speedtest (speed drops from 10mbps to 0.1mbps in the test and then my network connect dies, this happened on the dse card only).

Motherboard: M4N68M-T
Windows 7 HP 64bit

Speedy Gonzales
12-08-2012, 07:26 PM
Have you tried giving them a channel?? If theyre on auto?

wainuitech
12-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Had something similar with a customers PC, W7, the card was detected, drivers installed or so they said, but didn't work. Tried two different cards D-Link and Netgear same thing (they were meant to work on W7), yet they worked fine on a PC at home with XP.

In the end I put in a USB wireless adaptor and its working fine.

icow
12-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Have you tried giving them a channel?? If theyre on auto?

Just set it to 13, only other network nearby is on 5.

Had something similar with a customers PC, W7, the card was detected, drivers installed or so they said, but didn't work. Tried two different cards D-Link and Netgear same thing (they were meant to work on W7), yet they worked fine on a PC at home with XP.

In the end I put in a USB wireless adaptor and its working fine.

That was my thinking too. Grrr more money to be spent. Computers seem to be an unfulfillable hole in my bank account.

Slankydudl
12-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Yep, electronics are made as cheap as they can be whils still meating some kind of quality and that often leads to failure.

gary67
12-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Yep, electronics are made as cheap as they can be whils still meating some kind of quality and that often leads to failure.

I'm not surprised if they are made of meat. Make them from a meat substitute such as soy and they will be ok :devil

icow
12-08-2012, 10:19 PM

I don't think they're broken I just think there is some stupid incompatibility somewhere.

Slankydudl
12-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Well im not saying broken just not working as specified.

tmrafi
13-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Just set it to 13, only other network nearby is on 5.

13? You should be using only 1, 6 or 11 if you are on 2.4GHz band for Wi-Fi