PDA

View Full Version : External dvd drive driver

goodiesguy
07-08-2012, 12:47 PM
http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/cd-dvd-drives/dvd-writers/auction-499481888.htm

I've got one of these, but cannot find the driver for it anywhere. mine is manurfactured December 2005.

It was given to me by my uncle, the actual drive just by itself, nothing else. And it needs the driver to work.

Also, it seems to not need a power cord. It powers up fine without one and detects on my pc, but can't install due to no driver.

Though the bottom says dc 5V 1.5A, but i don't believe I have that if i need one.

inphinity
07-08-2012, 02:25 PM
I wouldn't expect it to need specific drivers (though what OS are you using?). It likely *will* need a power adaptor though, if it's rated at 1.5A. You'll only get 500mA out of a USB2 port. That said, some of the newer external optical drives are only 2.5w.

goodiesguy
07-08-2012, 03:58 PM
I'm using windows 7.

I've got a cord that runs 1.5A but when i plug it into the drive, it makes the light on the top flash on and off, and i can't get it to pick up on the computer.

dugimodo
07-08-2012, 05:11 PM
Are you sure the power supply you plugged in was the right voltage and polarity?, looking at that trademe add it lists a power adapter so it probably does need it.
My generic 5.25" enclosure with an LG IDE DVDwriter in it needs no drivers in XP, Vista, or 7 so I'd be surprised if that one does.

goodiesguy
07-08-2012, 05:22 PM
That's the problem probably, I don't have the proper power cord for it.

Where would I find one, and cheap?

Chilling_Silence
07-08-2012, 05:54 PM
You want something like this: http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=ITPAK673

icow
07-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Are you sure the power supply you plugged in was the right voltage and polarity?, looking at that trademe add it lists a power adapter so it probably does need it.
My generic 5.25" enclosure with an LG IDE DVDwriter in it needs no drivers in XP, Vista, or 7 so I'd be surprised if that one does.

Yeah generally they are just plug and play.