PDA

View Full Version : Exchange 2010 - out of office replies sent from forwarded email box

FAB
06-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Morning all

I've seen this lots of times but never found a solution (if there is one).
A user has either emails forwarded to them or full access to a mailbox. That user goes away and sets out of office on.
Any emails to the original email address then receive the out of office replies from the forwarded email box.

I hope this is clear enough?
I am guessing a transport rule may help, but thought it would be quicker to not reinvent the wheel if someone else has overcome this?

Cheers for any suggestions.

FAB
07-08-2012, 10:18 AM
I hate to be a bumper, but no one?

radium
07-08-2012, 02:27 PM
I think you need to be clear on your problem.

ronyville
07-08-2012, 03:40 PM
This is what I understand...

Emailer -> user A ->forwarded -> user B ..... User B on holiday with out-of-office turned on. So original emailer receiving out-of-office replies from user B. 3 solutions that I can think of,
1. turn off out of office (but that would be pointless since user B is away),
2. turn off forward from A to B until B is back in the office
3. turn off out-of-office replies to external senders under B's setting.

FAB
07-08-2012, 04:12 PM
HI guys - thanks for the replies.
Yes Rony you have scenario right. But it's a mix of forwarded emails and full access to emails. I have 3 PAs who have their manager's email boxes in their own Outlook. If one of those PAs goes away and turns out of office on, then anyone emailing her manager gets her out of office reply. Crazy and unprofessional.

Should not have thought that having to remove the PA from access to her manager's email while she was away is a good answer. Do-able, but surely there's an easier way?

ronyville
07-08-2012, 04:30 PM
If one of those PAs goes away and turns out of office on, then anyone emailing her manager gets her out of office reply. Crazy and unprofessional.

Does this PA have a copy of email coming into the manager's inbox be delivered to her inbox as well?

pctek
07-08-2012, 05:51 PM
I have 3 PAs who have their manager's email boxes in their own Outlook. If one of those PAs goes away and turns out of office on, then anyone emailing her manager gets her out of office reply.
You did this from within Outlook itself?
You can also do it from the domain email address instead.
Assuming, like a professional co, they are using domain email addresses and not ISP addresses.

FAB
08-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Does this PA have a copy of email coming into the manager's inbox be delivered to her inbox as well?
No. Just Full Access to his mailbox within her Outlook.

FAB
08-08-2012, 04:19 PM
You did this from within Outlook itself?
You can also do it from the domain email address instead.
Assuming, like a professional co, they are using domain email addresses and not ISP addresses.

It's a domain, everything is done from Exchange 2010. We use automatic sigs using a transport rule. Nothing to do with ISP.

ronyville
08-08-2012, 04:26 PM
No. Just Full Access to his mailbox within her Outlook.

Strange... I got managers and their PAs have access to the managers inbox under their outlook but have not encounter this error so far. We are using Exchange 2007 though... not 2010, but that I guess shouldnt make a difference.

FAB
08-08-2012, 04:37 PM
It is weird. I have done some googling on this and found others with the same issue, but no fix. It just shouldn't happen.

FAB
08-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Forgot to say these PAs have "send on behalf" permissions so they can email people on behalf of (for example) the CEO. But that's a pretty generic setting that would normally be turned on anyway, I would have thought...