PDA

View Full Version : Outlook, Gmail etc questions

gary67
05-08-2012, 04:06 PM
I have a desktop with Outlook 07 on it, I also have a netbook without Outlook, all my email addresses are through Gmail.

I like to have my emails local which is why I download them into Outlook, however my desktop is going to be offline for a couple of weeks while I move so can I put thunderbird on my netbook and download the emails to that yet still have them available to download in Outlook once the desktop is back online?

Gmail is set up as Pop3 and to leave a copy on the server

pctek
05-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Make it IMAP.

gary67
05-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Both Pop and Imap are enabled

so do I need to disable Pop?

coldot
05-08-2012, 04:56 PM
T'bird has an option in Account Settings for 'leave messages on server' and 'for nn days'. Very effective - if I go away for a week I set that so that when I return I can download everything for the past week regardless of whether I've read it while away. Just remember to reset it afterwards or you may end up with an overfull inbox on one of your addresses.
(And I use only POP, don't need both.)

gary67
05-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Yes but I want to be able to download in 2 different programs on 2 different computers so can I leave the settings as they are or do I need to turn off Pop?

gary67
05-08-2012, 08:09 PM
*bump*

mikebartnz
05-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Just set TB to leave them on the server and you can set Outlook to do the same but you will have to go on webmail occasionally to delete them from the server so you don't run out of your allocated space.
Another option is to get a Google Drive account and have the Outlook folders on the desktop and netbook syncing.

gary67
05-08-2012, 08:53 PM
I do that anyway. Have loaded up my spare gmail address on this netbook in thunderbird and sent an email to it which I have downloaded. Now I just have to see if it appears in my Outlook in the morning when I turn on the desktop

gary67
06-08-2012, 07:53 AM
Guess I have to turn pop off then since the email I was hoping to come through didn't

mikebartnz
06-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Guess I have to turn pop off then since the email I was hoping to come through didn't
I doubt that it has anything to do with pop as such. Did you turn the deleting from server off on the netbook.

gary67
06-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Hmm odd since changing to imap every time I send an email from the desktop outlook it sends me a copy as well, this is with a gmail address, anyone where the setting is to stop it doing that?

gary67
06-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Hmm odd since changing to imap every time I send an email from the desktop outlook it sends me a copy as well, this is with a gmail address, anyone where the setting is to stop it doing that?

seems with imap it doesn't save to the old sent folder so it puts a copy in the inbox what a stupid system

coldot
06-08-2012, 02:55 PM
That's probably why I don't use IMAP at all. Just use POP on both copies of T'bird and ensure that the 'slave' version does not delete and only the 'master' is allowed to delete.

gary67
06-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Yes gone back to POP, hated imap and will live with the decision

Erayd
06-08-2012, 03:48 PM
seems with imap it doesn't save to the old sent folder so it puts a copy in the inbox what a stupid systemThis just means that the setting for which folder to use as 'Sent' is incorrect - change this setting, and your sent messages should end up in the right place.