PDA

View Full Version : Hotmail Phishing attack - best ways to get re-started

Digby
04-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Hi Guys

A friend of mine rang to say she has been taken in by a Hotmail Phisihing attack.

She clicked on a "message" sent to her by one of her friends.

Then this message was sent to all of her contacts.

It seems to have been round for a while.

Hotmail has put her account on hold.

Do you know the best way round getting it going again ?

Should I run Malware Bytes ?

Thanks

Billy T
04-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Hi Guys

A friend of mine rang to say she has been taken in by a Hotmail Phisihing attack.

She clicked on a "message" sent to her by one of her friends.

Then this message was sent to all of her contacts.

It seems to have been round for a while.

Hotmail has put her account on hold.

Do you know the best way round getting it going again ?

Should I run Malware Bytes ?

Thanks

I received two of those emails yesterday, one 'from' my son in Oz and the other 'from' one of his friends' parents. I emailed to warn him of the attack and recommended an online scan as at that stage I didn't know for sure what was going on but I was quite certain that there was a payload of some sort attached. I read both in Mailwasher and deleted without downloading.

This is what I saw in Mailwasher:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

xxxxxxx_10@hotmail.com sent you a private message.
<br> <a alt="q4fe2vgu6dlhgmk1u2z 22ybmot53pnhherfi5iq ngmqbbn4ubklsv6krw8t"
id="2x3n3n64tvg07luku26
3wlgfwztpls82q82aa4i"
href="d5mn3peaguh9at.ms0.me/?read=0w&f=xxxxxx_10@hotmail.com&t=xxxxx@xtra.co.nz&n=xxxx,">Private message</a>

<style>I feel, been included in a way that is simple and concise, shorn of mumbo- </style>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Digby
05-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Yes, we got them to send a code to another email address and then went in and enterted this.

Hotmail asked a whole lot of stupid questions that we did not answer, (we answered the main ones)

And then a few hours later my friends Hotmail account was re-opened.

All good.