PDA

View Full Version : DesktopComputer Operating Temperature

tirikatene
02-08-2012, 04:15 PM
My desktop fans and processor were working overtime recently, so gave the interior of computer a good compressed air clean.
Goes heaps better now, so I loaded two software programs to see what is happening with the fans in general.

Both programs reported similar readings as follows:
Fan 1 - 3082 RPM GPU 57c
Fan 2 - 0 RPM 89c !!!
Fan 3 - 2009 RPM 32c

Can see the computer has 3 x fans visible, ie:
1 x over the CPU
1 x centralized in the tower
1 x mounted on a PCI video board

Was wondering it the excessive temperature of 89c maybe a disfunctional fan in the power unit.
There is a vent to the outside in that area, but no fan is operating, if there is usually one there?

Appreciate any help/ advise if the computer in in danger of overheating, etc

Paul.Cov
02-08-2012, 04:26 PM
Most power supplies have a fan which pushes air outside the case.

You'll find opinions are quite varied about fans and airflow.

Basically you want air to pass over most of the components before being exhausted. There must be a fan drawing air out of the case, otherwise your CPU and GPU fans are just stirring air around inside and not getting rid of any heat, with the entire body of the computer becoming a hot body that slowly radiates away the heat (not good).

zqwerty
02-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Are all three fans that you can see spinning now that you have cleaned chassis etc?

Hope you didn't over-spin fans using compressed air or vacuum, not good for the bearings apparently. Stop them from spinning whilst cleaning using a pencil or suchlike.

If that reading of 89degC is genuine it is too high. Lick your finger and put it onto the heatsink in question [BUT NOT IF IN THE PSU OBVIOUSLY] if the moisture steams away immediately it is too hot and your finger will burn so get it off fast and look for steam.

I wouldn't like to see any temperature over 70degC for any length of time in any computer I look after.

tirikatene
02-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Yes, all three visible fans are operating fine - - -

Maybe the power unit doesn't have fan and that's not the cause of the excessive heat

89c would have to be too higher operating temperature for whatever it is?

Thats why I thought it maybe the power unit fan has died?

Will keep the cleaning technique in mind next time