PDA

View Full Version : Settings on pc that might influence mobile bband stick?

hammer
01-08-2012, 04:38 PM
have finally given up on farmside and their amazing (joke) satellite internet after finding the 2 degrees stick works pretty well out here and i can get 12gb for $99 instead of 10gb for $350... and it pretty much works speedily all the time. WHOO HOO..

anyway alls well but we are thinking of moving sometime soon so i only brought one stick, it works great on one laptop but i cant get it to run on the other laptop or the
desktop... most annoying... have spent the last 2 hours on the phone with 2degrees help desk to no avail.... their conclusion is " it is a setting on my computers and i should get my IT guy out... well i am 50 miles from town and dont have an IT guy.

has anyone got any ideas what it could be.. the settings in the stick obviously work. one laptop its great..
looking at the settings in Vista and win7.

thanks barb

Speedy Gonzales
01-08-2012, 04:47 PM
So, what does it do if / when it doesnt work? Doesnt connect? Doesnt get detected? Does the laptop / desktop it wont run on have a modem on it? Are there any errors, to say why its not working?

01-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Ive seen this a few times, not with a 2deg stick though.
Try downloading updated software for that vodem & install that on the problem PC.

Of course do all the usual checks, eg make sure no 3rd party firewall installed & USB port working etc etc
The stick is actually detected when you plug it in ??

CYaBro
01-08-2012, 05:02 PM
I would just buy a wireless 3G router that you can just plug the 2d stick into (or simcard) and then share the connection wirelessly, that way all of the machines just connect wirelessly and don't need to have the 2d software installed on them.
Your PC will most likely need a wireless dongle as well.

hammer
01-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks for imput...
speedy... error 150 cant find DNS server on desktop
looks ready to go on other laptop just nothing happens when i click connect.

1101.... have updated software etc, did the usual... yep, yep

CyaBro... sounds good... have wireless dongles
would this router be suitable? TP-Link 150Mbps Wireless LiteN 3G Router TL-MR3220 on trade me now?

hammer
06-08-2012, 09:03 PM
I would just buy a wireless 3G router that you can just plug the 2d stick into (or simcard) and then share the connection wirelessly, that way all of the machines just connect wirelessly and don't need to have the 2d software installed on them.
Your PC will most likely need a wireless dongle as well.

went with this solution.. $60 but pretty damn hassle free... just got a dlink 3g router and all sorted...
really have to thank you guys ... once again you found the answers for me...
and i am sooooo happy to be finished with farmside...
satellite was really screwing my head.. dropping all the time....etc etc blah blah

2 degrees mobile stick is cheaper than farmside and way faster .. i am one happy camper now.
cheers

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Good to hear you got it going. I got a modem/router / 3g router a few weeks ago (an ASUS). But, haven't use the 3G side of it yet tho