PDA

View Full Version : ADSL connections

03-11-2001, 09:39 AM
Is it possible to run more than one ADSL modem through the one ADSL plug? In other words, can one insert a double plug and have two different computers with their own ADSL modems run through the one plug?

If so, how does this compare (speedwise etc) with networking the two computers and sharing one modem?

Many thanks

03-11-2001, 12:52 PM
Sorry Henry, no can do. The two adsl carrier signals would beat together and neither would work.

Unless you want to operate two accounts over the one line, why not use one DSL modem and connect the computers to it via a hub, or use the more expensive Nokia router version (M1122?) that will take both computers directly.

If you are just trying to share one line this will work fine. I have four computers operating via a hub and a Nokia Ni500 router and it works fine. Speedwise, I hardly even notice when other computers are on line.

Note that the Ni500 is a cheaper model that doesn't provide for multiple connections without a hub.

Use an external modem and all you will need is a network card in each computer + the hub which must be 10Mbps or 10/100 but not 100Mbps on its own. As I said above, there is no noticeable speed hit via networked ADSL.

Billy 8-{)