PDA

View Full Version : VIRUS BLOCKING 00000 TRICK DOESN'T WORK (and neither do variations eg !0000)

03-11-2001, 01:25 AM
Hi all,

Couldn't resist sending this in when I read the November Letter of the month. In a newsletter I subscribe to in September this tip caused a bit of a raucous. Essentially, the trick doesn't work because 'the infected message won't be sent to the *first* contact (because it has no e-mail address) - but it will be sent to every other contact (with a valid e-mail address, that is).' To read more:

http://www.woodyswatch.com/office/archtemplate.asp?v6-n40

Anyway, if anyone else would like to verify or negate this, be happy to hear about it

Regards,
Chmedder

03-11-2001, 11:10 AM
Taken directly from the link you provided -
'Sure, you'll get a warning that something fishy is going on. Sure, you can turn your computer off when you see the warning - this will prevent the mail blast. But how manyusers will be that smart and how many will just click on the OK button?'

This is exactly what the letter writer said would happen, if uses ignore the message that's not his problem.

03-11-2001, 12:00 PM
TIP ... users wishing to effect what the '!0000' trick aims to do [i.e., prevent a malicious virus being automatically sent to everyone in their address book] the following setting in Outlook Express achieves this:

In OE go: Tools > Options > Send. Uncheck (disable) the window marked 'Send Messages Immediately' then click Apply/Okay.

Users will then be able to see the infected messages sitting in their 'Out' box waiting to be sent and may delete them.

Most e-mail clients will have a similar setting.

Cheers !!!

e_