PDA

View Full Version : help with ethernet connection

h4rsheys
30-07-2012, 01:58 AM
hi,

im currently working on an old hp compaq 6910p..

my ethernet connection works fine when the ac adapter is plugged in, but stops immediately when i take the adapter out..

whats going on? :help:

Speedy Gonzales
30-07-2012, 03:32 AM
Sounds like a dead battery?

h4rsheys
30-07-2012, 06:22 AM
the battery seems to works fine... just by unplugging the adapter my internet connection just plain stops..

the network is seen as connected but there is no activity..

inphinity
30-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Power save function disabling the adapter when on battery.

MushHead
30-07-2012, 10:49 AM
This isn't some sort of power saving option, is it? I don't have a laptop handy to check, but I do have a vague recollection of something like that being either a power properties setting or a driver option.

Speedy Gonzales
30-07-2012, 11:08 AM
So what happens, if you click on a browser. Do any sites load or no sites load? If you cant get any sites, I would check and see if whatever browser youre using isnt using a proxy under its options

Chilling_Silence
30-07-2012, 11:33 AM
As inphinity / MushHead have said, it's likely the OS disabling it in order to save on power. Go into Device Manager, find your network adapter, and there will be an option in there that allows the OS to disable it to save power. You want to *untick* that option so it doesn't disable it :)

h4rsheys
31-07-2012, 02:17 PM
yeah i already turned power save mode off before starting this thread.

i dont think its a browser problem, tested on chrome and ie. internet connection shows connected but i cannot browse, download- nothing.

also when i remove the adapter, the system gets really buggy.. ie. glitchy behavior.

weird. maybe its because this is a very old laptop running win 8 rp lol

pcuser42
31-07-2012, 02:24 PM
weird. maybe its because this is a very old laptop running win 8 rp lol

Did the issue occur with the factory OS? (XP? Vista? 7?)

h4rsheys
31-07-2012, 02:31 PM
i dont think so. not sure though.

dugimodo
31-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Trying to think what changes when you unplug the power other than what's already been suggested and I can only think of 2 unlikely Ideas;
1. something is starving for enough power on battery or it's voltage is too low, although I'd expect the machine to shut down if this was the case.
2. There's something wrong with the ethernet connection and getting an earth through the power connection somehow makes it work, try another cable.