PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Security Essentals - Mexed results so far.

Digby
26-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Hi Guys

After some good reports on here, I finally bit the bullet and installed Microsoft Security Essentials.

I was very impressed with the installation process and its user interface, very clean and tidy.

But I have had problems after a few days trying to get the latest updates, it just sits there for a long time, then says it could not connect.

I did some basic enquiries but can't see any reason why it wont.

Then I ran a Scan and it found 5 threats, I went to move them to Quarantine and it was taking forever.

What do you think ?

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2012, 03:21 PM
The threats were probably there before you installed MSSE. Its fine there. Delete them in MSSE's options. It may have blocked something why it couldn't update. Did it come up with an error code or something?

Digby
26-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Speedy
So you are saying that the next time I run a scan it should quarantine or remove the threats easier.
Lets hope so.

As regards the update, after about 10 minutes (its gets about a third of the way along the green progress bar), it gave me an option to get an error code.
I looked at it and it gave me several options mostly to do with internet connections and firewalls etc.

But I don't have anything fancy like that installed, just basic broadband, and I installed the program a few weeks ago all OK, so what has gone wrong since then ?

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Whatever the threats are or were, that'll be why it wouldn't update before. Once you remove them it should update properly. If you can find out what the names were of the threats, that'll tell you what they do. Since some threats will disable windows or MSSE from updating.

dugimodo
26-07-2012, 04:16 PM
You could try windows update, it includes MSE and it's definitions once it's installed so it can be updated that way as well as from the program itself.
I don't use the quarantine option much myself, on the rare occasions it finds something I tell it to delete it. You could also try updating from safe mode with networking if you think some process is blocking the updates.

lakewoodlady
26-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Can't believe you don't use a firewall, maybe that's how you got the "threats" in the first place?

LL

Chilling_Silence
26-07-2012, 06:22 PM
lakewoodlady,
Most routers these days act in place of a firewall because of how NAT works. Basically it stops external connections from coming in un-invited.
Everything else is likely to be emailed to you, through your browser, or through a USB drive (None of which a firewall stops) so for the better part firewalls on Desktop PC's behind an ADSL Router are semi redundant ;)

Digby
26-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Thanks guys
I now have 3 options to try hopefully one of them will work.

As regards Firewalls and threats I think threats and virus are "over-rated"

I mean the only people who seem to get hurt by viruses are Iranian nuclear facilities, and I no longer work for them.
Most viruses are reported in the main stream press - about every 6 months.

I went for a year bareback with no AV.

I am fairly careful.

Most threats I get are advert cookies etc.

PPp
26-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Try running CCleaner, scandisk and defrag, if you haven't done this recently, it may help MSS to get through quicker. From memory I'm pretty sure MSS was pretty slow to scan my computer the first time (several hours)

PPp
26-07-2012, 10:27 PM
See "I've been scanned" Wainui Tech--- " Don't listen to people that say you dont need protection, you do, no matter how careful you may be.
These days you can get malware on your computer and not even have a web site open. This was proven last week, when doing a fresh install of a customers XP. There is what's called drive by downloads, wrong place wrong time and you can get hit."

Digby
27-07-2012, 08:49 AM
I just found the problem.
I turned my Firewall (Defender) off and the updates went though perfectly and quite quickly (dur)

You'd think they would have mentioned that in their Error message information.

27-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Thanks guys
I now have 3 options to try hopefully one of them will work.

As regards Firewalls and threats I think threats and virus are "over-rated"

Yes , theres an element of truth in this.
Many malware infections are caused by user stupidity, thats why I see some infections initially get past EVERY AV program.
I you click OK on popups, open joke/spam emails, go to dodgy sites etc etc then chances are youll get infected.

I had one customer who insisted on opening every spam email he got :badpc: :badpc:

Nick G
27-07-2012, 12:25 PM
<snip>

I had one customer who insisted on opening every spam email he got :badpc: :badpc:

WHAT?!!!! That's not exactly recommended practice ;)