PDA

View Full Version : Set DVB-T tuner on PC

palimpsest
25-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Hi all, I recently bought an Acer Aspire Z3771, running Windows 7 Home Premium. It came with an AVerMedia A373 MiniCard Dual DVB-T, built in. I have plugged my aerial, which I believe is an UHF aerial into the plug on the back of the monitor, and tried using Windows Media Centre to set up the tv channels. It says it cannot find tv settings for my post code (I tried my post code, as well as central Wgtn and Akld codes), and then when it searches it cannot find any channels. I am assuming there is something I am missing, but don't know what it is, any suggestions?

CliveM
25-07-2012, 08:55 AM
That should work. Are you certain the aerial is hooked up correctly i.e. does it work with another TV receiver?

palimpsest
25-07-2012, 09:01 AM
The aerial works on my normal tv. I dont have freeview on that tv, so just get the analog channels there. Not sure if that makes a difference?

Speedy Gonzales
25-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Get AVerTV off the Avermedia site. See if it finds any channels. Dont worry about MCE not finding your postcode. It didnt work here either. I dont think it works in NZ

Take it back to the shop tell them the tuner doesnt work. There's no point in it being installed, if it doesnt work

Renegade
25-07-2012, 09:54 AM
My tuner card didn't pick up any channels when I chose my region in NextPVR, but it found them all when I got it to search all NZ. Try AVerTV as Speedy said, or NextPVR.

dugimodo
25-07-2012, 10:09 AM
What analogue channels do you get, is Prime one of them?
A UHF Aerial is the small one that looks a bit like an arrow. Media centre works fine for me and has the same postcode error.

psycik
25-07-2012, 11:00 AM
My tuner card didn't pick up any channels when I chose my region in NextPVR, but it found them all when I got it to search all NZ. Try AVerTV as Speedy said, or NextPVR.

There have been a bunch of channel reorganisations lately. It's most likely the embedded frequency tables in MCE are out of date.

I know for nextpvr I supplied the Mt Kaukau frequency changes to the Wellington developer and he is adding them to the next release (out shortly).

But a blind scan (scan everything) in MCE or NextPVR will find any channels available. These systems are generall set up to only scan the transponder frequencies it knows about (ie in for DVB-T there are only 3 used). The "old
days of analog your tv just did a blind scan over a whole range of frequencies. The new scheme is faster - if the transponders haven't been shifted - which they have.

Speedy Gonzales
25-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Does the tuner support MP4? if it doesnt (MCE may not find any channels)

MistyCat
25-07-2012, 12:08 PM
In March this year I bought an Acer Aspire M3410, with an internal AVerMedia H751 Hybrid Analog/DVB-T card. I bought a Dick Smith indoor aerial, and ran through the Windows 7 Media Center setup. I had the "...No Guide at your PostCode..." message, but a full scan found over 20 channels, and the Guide gave me names and times of programs for the following two hours from the current time. About four channels were reasonable quality, six were poor but watchable and the rest were... discarded.

In early April the Guide suddenly stopped giving me program information. It continued to show half-hour divisions (columns), with no program information. Everything else remained the same.

After the channel reorganisations on the 24th July, a full scan last night of both analogue and DVB-T found only seven very poor quality channels. The Guide no longer shows time divisions.

------------------------
(I came here with the intention of starting a new thread to ask about this, but searching found this new thread. I'll leave the above as "FYI", try Speedy's "Get AVerTV off the Avermedia site" suggestion and report back if I find anything that might help palimpsest.)

psycik
25-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Does the tuner support MP4? if it doesnt (MCE may not find any channels)

DVB-S and DVB-T tuners do not actually "do" anything with the video stream, just dump it to the calling application, which can then either just write it to disk, or convert it to something else - ie mp4/dvrms/wtv

Speedy Gonzales
25-07-2012, 12:15 PM
The only thing I didnt like about MCE was every so often there were artifacts. In AverTV the channels were fine. And in MCE, changing channels it started off in slow motion. A few secs later it was fine. Probably wont have to worry about it soon. Once we move and I connect the freeview receiver to this old TV (and while I'm waiting for another TV after I move). If you want I've saved the channels in AverTV, as an adi file. If you want it I could send it via teamviewer, and see if the channels work on yours (If you install AVerTV)

Speedy Gonzales
25-07-2012, 12:17 PM
DVB-S and DVB-T tuners do not actually "do" anything with the video stream, just dump it to the calling application, which can then either just write it to disk, or convert it to something else - ie mp4/dvrms/wtv

But if you want MCE (in Windows 7 - it wont work in Vista at all, unoless the version came with the system - OEM, from what I've read) to work with it, / find any channels at all, the tuner needs to support or record in MP4. So, I found out

dugimodo
25-07-2012, 12:27 PM
@Misty and just a general FYI, there is no official support for the broadcasted full program guide on the PC as yet although some people have come up with work arounds.
What you see is a different now/next guide which is also broadcast and which is in an older format and as you stated only shows a short amount of programming.

As for your indoor aerial, they only work in very good reception areas and are not very good anywhere else. The recent reorganisations changed the frequencies used which will probably be why your reception is not as good as it was. Even a basic outdoor aerial should be much better. In Hamilton where I am I've tried 4 different indoor Aerials, 3 of them amplified, and never managed to get a stable picture. In fact the only one that ever got a picture was a passive dick smith one with a mini yagi, the amplified ones all failed. My outdoor aerial is now split 4 ways and using a masthead amp and I get perfect reception.

MistyCat
25-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks, dugimodo. I'm in Spreydon, Christchurch with a direct line of sight to Sugarloaf on the Port Hills... which I've always assumed was the source of transmissions for Christchurch, and I've just this minute realised that may not be correct. Anyway, prior to the July 24th change my computer TV reception was good enough for me. I'd be quite happy to get back to that standard, even without the Guide. More is always better, of course. :-)
I'm just poking around on the AverMedia site now, trying to find my exact AVerMedia H751 Hybrid Analog/DVB-T.

psycik
25-07-2012, 01:07 PM
But if you want MCE (in Windows 7 - it wont work in Vista at all, unoless the version came with the system - OEM, from what I've read) to work with it, / find any channels at all, the tuner needs to support or record in MP4. So, I found out

yeah MCE in W7 and Vista a very different beasts. The MCE one is almost a turnkey solution it's that simple to get it going. But I find it a bit limited. Which is why I went with nextpvr (used to be GBPVR).

Also you note the channel change speed in MCE - this is partly because every program in MCE needs a tuner. Most of the other PVR softwares (mediaportal, mythtv and nextpvr) can deal with a transponder at a time. So with 3 tuners you can record every channel at once (I've tested this). MCE would need about 10 tuners to do the same.... :D

The switching transponders of the third party apps change significantly increase the channel change - oh and btw DVB-T tvs are pretty slow as well.

psycik
25-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Thanks, dugimodo. I'm in Spreydon, Christchurch with a direct line of sight to Sugarloaf on the Port Hills... which I've always assumed was the source of transmissions for Christchurch, and I've just this minute realised that may not be correct. Anyway, prior to the July 24th change my computer TV reception was good enough for me. I'd be quite happy to get back to that standard, even without the Guide. More is always better, of course. :-)
I'm just poking around on the AverMedia site now, trying to find my exact AVerMedia H751 Hybrid Analog/DVB-T.

Grab the EPGCollector off Geekzone.co.nz - it contains direct import into MCE now I believe and extracts data from the full MHEG5 8 Days TV guide (as opposed to the EIT data that MCE will natively try to obtain).

I use it to create and XMLTV file for the nextpvr install I run.

Speedy Gonzales
25-07-2012, 01:21 PM
@psycik. Too bad Mediaportal, MythTV, and GBPVR didnt pick up any channels. No matter what I did, all of them did nothing. I know Vista MCE is hopeless with freeview tuners. It doesnt detect anything, unless you install the TVpack, which doesnt come on normal Vista DVD's. You have to buy a system (like HP / whatever), with Vista pre-installed on it. For it to work. That's one reason, why I decided to install Win7. AverTV is good enough for now. The only thing it cant do is pause, like MCE.

psycik
25-07-2012, 01:40 PM
@psycik. Too bad Mediaportal, MythTV, and GBPVR didnt pick up any channels. No matter what I did, all of them did nothing. I know Vista MCE is hopeless with freeview tuners. It doesnt detect anything, unless you install the TVpack, which doesnt come on normal Vista DVD's. You have to buy a system (like HP / whatever), with Vista pre-installed on it. For it to work. That's one reason, why I decided to install Win7. AverTV is good enough for now. The only thing it cant do is pause, like MCE.

You tried "all regions" scans?

Speedy Gonzales
25-07-2012, 01:48 PM
At the time I did. Oh well, I'll live. Wont need a program soon anyway. I'll just get a hdd for the FV receiver instead. So, I can record off it

dugimodo
25-07-2012, 04:55 PM
I was using DVBViewer before I got windows 7, I even paid for it. But personally I just like media centre better and it integrates natively with my media centre remote and for me was painless to set up. I have tried the EPG collector from geekzone in the past but it completely screwed up my channels (changed the order and mixed up the names) in media centre and I eventually gave up and removed it, maybe it's better now?. I have a TiVo for recording anyway so the guide is no big deal to me.

psycik
25-07-2012, 05:10 PM
I was using DVBViewer before I got windows 7, I even paid for it. But personally I just like media centre better and it integrates natively with my media centre remote and for me was painless to set up. I have tried the EPG collector from geekzone in the past but it completely screwed up my channels (changed the order and mixed up the names) in media centre and I eventually gave up and removed it, maybe it's better now?. I have a TiVo for recording anyway so the guide is no big deal to me.

I can't say for sure, but I'd imagine it might do the same. A post over on GZ regarding how to set it up would get you some help.

It's the only way of getting a proper EPG as far as I know. And without an EPG, a pvr is little better than a dumb 1980s VCR. The addition of EPG allows series recording which caters for schedule changes, time changes etc..

feersumendjinn
25-07-2012, 10:49 PM
I have plugged my aerial, which I believe is an UHF aerial into the plug on the back of the monitor,
This will not work, you need to plug it into your tv card.

MistyCat
27-07-2012, 01:50 AM
The Guide (or lack of it) has now become a secondary issue for me. I can now get no digital channels and just half a dozen analogue, non of them with good reception.
I'll put the issue on the back burner until I get a decent aerial.

Thanks to all for the very useful info.

palimpsest
04-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions. Have tried all of them and none of it seems to work. AverTv says it cannot find Aver Tv tuner cards, nextPVR doesnt find anything, and doing a "troubleshoot" with Windows says it cant find a TV signal. So at this stage I am not sure whether it is a problem with the tv tuner, or with my tv signal- i.e maybe there is an issue with the aerial.

feersumendjinn
05-08-2012, 02:04 AM
I have plugged my aerial, which I believe is an UHF aerial into the plug on the back of the monitor, (tv?)

This will not work, you need to plug it into your tuner card (in the computer).

PPp
05-08-2012, 09:56 PM
feersumendjinn is right. the signal comes from a UHF aerial and plugs into the tuner card in your computer. The card needs to be tuned to your local signals with your program of choice. Once this is done the program channel, of your choice is processed and sent to the computer for viewing. Physical things that can go wrong 1. TV aerial is not UHF 2. aerial is not aligned to the signal closley enough. 3. loose cable connections. 4 old or low quality cable. 5.Tuner not sitting in its slot properly 6. cable between computer and TV poor quality 7. TV not set to recieve signal from computer. I personally have found most of these faults in my own setup, and there are probably more that I have not come across, let alone software setup problems!!

palimpsest
16-08-2012, 09:16 AM
I am not sending the signal to the tv, just trying to view it on the computer. As it is a built in tv tuner, I would have no idea how to plug it into the tuner card, it is encased in the "All in One" computer? There is a plug on the monitor/computer that is for the aerial, and no other possible place to plug it in, so I am assuming it is the right place. But if there is advice you can give on where else it should be plugged or how I find out if it is attached to the tv tuner that would be great.

Renegade
16-08-2012, 09:49 AM
There must be a socket for the aerial on the back of the card, otherwise it sounds like just a montior/tv.

MistyCat
16-08-2012, 12:08 PM
The Acer Aspire Z3771 is an "All in one" computer, so palimsest is using the words monitor/computer to mean effectively the same thing.

I suspect there's just the one aerial plug, and it's an input.

www.acer.co.nz/ac/en/NZ/content/model/PW.SHP02.006

Renegade
16-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Ah, ok. Does the OP have a UHF aerial? 3rd post mentions a normal tv without freeview...

palimpsest
17-08-2012, 08:36 PM
I do have a UHF aerial. My tv is not digital, and has no freeview box, so that is just accessing analogue tv. But the aerial certainly looks like a UHF aerial and as far as I can see that is what is attached to the plug. that I am plugging into the computer. Thanks to everyone for their help, I am still trying!

Greven
17-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Sound like you can't get digital reception, or there is something wrong with your TV card. Do you know anyone with a freeview terrestrial set top box?

PPp
17-08-2012, 09:25 PM
So does your UHF aerial runon your analogue TV, or is it a seperate aerial?

palimpsest
17-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Only person I know with a Freeview set top box, has satellite. Yes the UHF aerial runs on the analogue tv. It is not great reception on that, only get 1, 2 & 3. The Freeview site says we have good Freeview terrestrial reception, but I don't have any other way of testing it.

Renegade
17-08-2012, 10:29 PM
I don't think you'd get any analogue VHF stations through a UHF aerial? Unless it's a combo http://dicksmith.com.au/product/L4033/vhf-uhf-combination-outdoor-tv-antenna

Trev
18-08-2012, 09:34 AM
You can but not very clear.
:)

Greven
19-08-2012, 11:32 AM
It is not great reception on that, only get 1, 2 & 3.
Sounds like you need to replace your aerial

PPp
20-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Just gone over all the posts. I think Renegade is correct, your problem is that you may have a VHF aerial not a UHF one, this would explain that you can get the analogue signals normally, but not Freeview through WMC.

VHF http://www.matchmaster.com.au/domestic/vhf-antennas

UHF http://www.matchmaster.com.au/domestic/uhf-antennas

I don't have any connection here, just happened to be on the site