PDA

View Full Version : Nexus 7 File Copying Errors

Drenwick
25-07-2012, 02:34 AM
Hello,

I've recently purchased my Nexus 7 (Did get it after all) and it's a great device, except for an infuriating problem.

Yesterday, I was able to copy files straight to the tablet from Windows. Today, every file hangs at 'calculating' and then proceeds to crash windows explorer and require me to pull out the usb cable.

I have tried usb debugging on/off, renaming the files to give different extensions and still nothing copies over. Only tiny files manage to, at around 600kb each.

TL;DR: I was able to copy multiple file types to my Nexus 7, now I can't copy anything bigger than a tiny photo.

Thanks!

Chilling_Silence
25-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Restart the PC? Does it also happen if you use Teracopy (Free app for your desktop)?

Speedy Gonzales
25-07-2012, 09:43 AM
I would say its something you've installed, and its added its entry (the file for it maybe buggy or something) to the context menu (when you right mouse on a file in windows explorer). Thats if you're copying (by using the right mouse on files). I would install ccleaner then go to the tools / startup / context menu tab. Highlight each entry (except the one for the Nexus), then click on disable. See if it crashes windows explorer then. If it doesnt crash, one of the entries in the context menu are suss

Drenwick
25-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Hey thanks for the replies. I have restarted the PC, and tried it on several different PCs. I am able to RAR the files and then copy them, but that is obviously impractical.

Chilling_Silence
25-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Sounds like something is interfering with the copy process....

Geek4414
25-07-2012, 01:26 PM
I assume you will have a WiFi network ? I virtually never plug my Android devices into a PC to transfer files. Try the FREE ES File Explorer on your N7, you can connect to any shared folders on your PCs and copy files easily. It will be a bit slower than the USB connection but it is not bad for photos and documents, large movies files will take a bit longer.

ES File Explorer ...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&hl=en

All you need is to share a folder on your PC, (best to make it no password, seems to work more reliably than a password protected share for some reason) and use ES File Explorer to browser and cut/copy/paste files wirelessly across WiFi.

In ES File Explorer, click on the LAN button, click the menu button then select "show tab" if it's hidden.

Click "New" on the toolbar/ribbon, then Scan or click "Server" and add your PC (can type in your PC's IP address) manually,

Tick the anonymous box if you have set no password for the shared folder.

Once connected, you can click back to the "Local" Tab, find the files you need,

Select or multi-select (on ribbon) or Select All (click the menu button ... Operations).

Click copy/cut or long press for options,

Click back to the LAN Tab and click the Paste button and hey presto!

You can do that in reverse too of course.

Geek4414
25-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Restart the PC? Does it also happen if you use Teracopy (Free app for your desktop)?

Yes, I find Vista and W7 a pain in the a** compare to XP when copying large amount of files, especially over a network. Discovered that when I tired to copy 20K+ files onto an UltraBook the night before I go overseas. It just didn't work! >_< Luckily found Microsoft's free RichCopy which saved the day (and my whole night)!

http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithcombs/archive/2009/03/22/richcopy-bulk-file-copy-tool-released-get-it-here.aspx

eddopc
23-08-2012, 06:25 PM
This is because the Nexus 7 uses MTP and not USB Mass Storage device. How I loathe MTP.
The solution is a simple one.
Remove the extension, such as AVI or MKV
Copy the file (it will work no problem).
Once copied put the extension back on.