PDA

View Full Version : Google's Official Nexus 7 Video Ad

kahawai chaser
24-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Just released Huff Post Tech (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/hought there w/07/23/nexus-7-ad_n_1695459.html?utm_hp_ref=technology) via YouTube. Thought there would be more, e.g. specs, I guess more ads to come.

SurferJoe46
25-07-2012, 03:07 AM
Old Farts of the world unite! Buy the Nexus7 and you'll be happy.

In the US, the shelves are bare and there aren't any more to ship out from the warehouses; they've gone so fast.

The 16G versions are depleted too, and that's a big surprise to Google/Asus since they thought it would be a so-so seller.

I got mine about a week ago, and although being an old dog it took me longer to get into it with a decent amount of comfort, it is pretty nice to use. It's simple too. I'm simple. I like simple.

For some of us the learning curve can darned well be a vertical wall.

Since it has no 3G/4G capabilities - well, I like that too. At my age I don't want anyone finding me. It usually means work and that's my primary avoidance issue.

("You've got a pickup truck - can you help me move my collection of grand pianos?" and "Ive got some fence posts that need to be installed, can you bring over your power post hole drill and pick up a hunnert or so of them at the wood mill on the way" Things like that.)

Remember that I'm the guy with 12:00 blinking on my old VCR I've gone and lost everything multiple times to an Ubuntu installation when I tried to create a dual-boot system. Yes --- I've become an old fart <sigh> but there's some comfort in it. I'll admit that I nave a DVD thing-y although it doesn't have any blinker-things on it.

As it is, my musical studio / TV viewing room / computer room lights up and blinks like the bridge of the Starship Enterprise. I like blinking things.

An interesting sidebar: since I play bass guitar, my fingers are kinda calloused and have hard spots on them from the strings. I find that I have to moisten my finger (OK - I suck on it a moment) and then dry it off (don't ask where) and then the touch screen works better for me.

I think it has something to do with wayward gamma rays interfering with my personal aura and the screen has a hard time differentiating my finger from what it thinks might be a stick.

Sticks don't work either, in case you wanted a clinical observation.

I've added a few gadgets and goodies - Chess is one and the local TV station and lots of MY music and GMail/Google/Chrome can pre-loaded with my user names in it already. How'd it know? Smart things!

I have one contentious bone to pick: I can't get WIRED magazine on it. There are a lot of Conde-Nast mags that are, but No-o-o-o-o-o! --- not WIRED! Gnarly bummer, dudes and dudettes!

All in all - I'd say that if your a techno-geek all the way down to the guy the family hides in the attic when company comes to visit - the Nexus7 is a good device. </sigh>

Chilling_Silence
25-07-2012, 09:11 AM
When you add your Google account to it at the start, it'll pop it into Gmail / Chrome / Google Talk / Google+ for you :)

Also, make sure you redeem your free copy of Transformers, and IIRC you get something like $25 of credit for the play store?! :O

Chilling_Silence
25-07-2012, 09:18 AM
Also, that's a pretty damn harsh review. They seem to gloss over the fact that it's sold out in a ton of places. We obviously don't have any sales figures yet so it could be the typical "Apple" game of intentionally not making a large amount at launch...

But again, the lack of Cellular data connectivity? Not a problem, if you have an Android phone (I wonder if this author does, or has even *tried* the Nexus 7?) then you'll know it's dead simple to turn your phone into a WiFi hotspot when needed. Why pay for two SIM cards and data plans when you can have one, and have both devices share it? Makes a lot more sense if you ask me.

SurferJoe46
25-07-2012, 09:47 AM
Yeah - the movie is still there if I want it - I may - maybe. And I've got a basket full of aps now - but they are all free with two cheap less-than-a-dollar exceptions.

It also has NFC that allows it to share data with another device if you get them relatively close. The Nexus has it's hot-spot at the X in the logo on the back.

I'm trying to find a free barcode reader - one that reads those square things. All our markets and stores here use them for product ID.

Question: I know it has a switchable power supply/charger - but is it OK to leave it on after the charge is complete?

Nick G
25-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Wouldn't you need a back camera to read the barcode?

SurferJoe46
25-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Wouldn't you need a back camera to read the barcode?

Not really. I've tried it without the official reader and it sees the pattern just fine.

BTW: I also talked with The Chilled One the other day face-to-face and even at the slow speeds I have here (1.5) it worked very well.

mikebartnz
25-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Also, that's a pretty damn harsh review. They seem to gloss over the fact that it's sold out in a ton of places. We obviously don't have any sales figures yet so it could be the typical "Apple" game of intentionally not making a large amount at launch...
I read a review the other day by a guy who does an Apple blog and he was impressed with it for the price. He is going to be interested in doing another review when the mini iPad comes out.

Chilling_Silence
25-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Yeah it was by that guy who got pulled up by Google for pulling the finger in his display pic on G+ (Funny story there), thought it was quite a good article he wrote about it!

I also talked with The Chilled One the other day face-to-face
That's a new name for me I've not heard before :D

plod
25-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Also, that's a pretty damn harsh review. They seem to gloss over the fact that it's sold out in a ton of places. We obviously don't have any sales figures yet so it could be the typical "Apple" game of intentionally not making a large amount at launch...I don't remember there being a stock issue at the last iPad launch.

mikebartnz
25-07-2012, 05:45 PM
They thought the 8gb was going to be the big seller but it turned out it was the 16gb so there is plenty of stock for the 8gb one but they are short of the 16gb one.

Chilling_Silence
25-07-2012, 06:02 PM
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mattbuchanan/a-tablet-you-can-toss

SurferJoe46
25-07-2012, 06:51 PM
No Mike - they are out of the 8G units too now. The 16G units were not sent out in great numbers - not great enough for the demand at least.

kahawai chaser
25-07-2012, 08:02 PM
I'm trying to find a free barcode reader - one that reads those square things. All our markets and stores here use them for product ID.

Question: I know it has a switchable power supply/charger - but is it OK to leave it on after the charge is complete?

QR codes I think is what you mean, brought out a while back by Toyota. I use Barcode Scanner 4.2 by Zxing and the more diverse Qr Barcode Scanner by WB Dev. It's how I sometimes transfer url's straight to my phone from my PC. For example if I want some Android apps (http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-android-apps.htm?page=0,1#Page-Index) without searching/scrolling dozens of apps on my mobile, can scan qr's that display after mousing over the product images. Can use Google images to find products/web sites that may have online qr codes (http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=qr+codes&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1024&bih=513&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=bZQPUJKdM8qViQezkIGQAQ) or to simply test the scanner app.

As for wired mag/com try subscribing via rss with Google Reader, and select from relevant categories. Sync with your (automated I think) pc.

Chilling_Silence
25-07-2012, 09:05 PM
No Mike - they are out of the 8G units too now. The 16G units were not sent out in great numbers - not great enough for the demand at least.

Really? I bought two 8G ones this morning! :D

SurferJoe46
26-07-2012, 02:07 AM
Really? I bought two 8G ones this morning! :D

Must be lagging sales in Upsidedown Land. I went to the Play site and they say there is a new date for the next shipping round.

One BUDDY in town here likes mine and tried to order one for himself and he had to put an X in the box for EMAIL ME WHEN THEY ARE AVAILABLE.

It may just be a US/Canadian thing that they aren't available right now although I also see that most markets are really out of the 16G version now.

Both the 8G and 16G version are (or were) available on Play, but the 16G was also in the walk-in stores - and they are out of them now too.

Either way, the 16G is going over great gonzos, and the 8G is also holding it's own. Google thought the 16G was going to be sluggish with the extra price - but it hasn't proven to be so.