PDA

View Full Version : Maori language week

lakewoodlady
24-07-2012, 12:38 PM
So, I'll most likely get bood off the forum, but here goes anyway. Tena koutou katoa!

LL

Metla
24-07-2012, 12:44 PM
My turn.

Tea kota uyetha

Mine is also gibberish, But if we find some academics with time on their hands (shouldn't be hard) then they can make it mean anything anyone wants it to.

How about, we claim the sky, the stars and the entire universe because we saw it from NZ.....

Sorry, I mean, we claim the sky, the stars and the entire universe because we saw it from the land mass we never got around to naming because concepts larger then kill and eat are beyond us, whoever us is, we never figured that out either.

You guys are just lucky we never evolved enough to invent the wheel, then the entire world would be paying us for using something we own,even though we claim overship is a concept we don't understand. Though that only applies when we sell something and then want it back, when its ours is ours, whats yours is ours too.

This is because we are black.

Bobh
24-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Is that why Invercargill is listed as 'Waihōpai' on the weather maps.

inphinity
24-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Talk Like a Pirate day has more merit, imo.

pcuser42
24-07-2012, 12:56 PM
I can count higher in Japanese than in Maori...

DeSade
24-07-2012, 12:59 PM
To quote the immortal Billy T (the other one)

Tin a Cocoa, Tin a Cocoa, Tin a Cocoa, Car Tyre

lakewoodlady
24-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Hmmm......... just as I expected , oh well.

LL

B.M.
24-07-2012, 01:22 PM
To quote the immortal Billy T (the other one)

Tin a Cocoa, Tin a Cocoa, Tin a Cocoa, Car Tyre

Another one of Billy’s

Kotanga – kot’anga – Car Aerial :lol:

Zippity
24-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Hmmm......... just as I expected , oh well.

LL

Then you are not disappointed?

How long does this krap go on for?? :(

Metla
24-07-2012, 01:52 PM
How long does this tiko go on for?? :(

Corrected that for you.

Roscoe
24-07-2012, 01:55 PM
So, I'll most likely get bood off the forum, but here goes anyway. Tena koutou katoa!

LL

What an absolute load of rubbish and a complete waste of time! I just can't understand why anyone persists with promoting an almost dead language. Who gives a stuff? Not even many maori are interested, so why do we have to put up with this twaddle?

English is the prominent tongue in this very English country. So let's forget about all the poor attempts at promoting a language that has almost no relevance in this country.

I have only heard of one use for the maori languague. Maori was used in WW2 to pass radio messages. It saved time as the messages did not need to be encoded. Nobody else in the world understood what they were saying. The same is still true all these years later and the reality is that even fewer speak this dying tongue today. Unfortunately there seems to be some sort of misdirected need to preserve the language and that is fine if that is what you want to do. What I object to is how it is pushed upon everybody - even those who have not the slightest interest.

Maori language week? What a complete waste of time, effort and taxpayers' money!

Ulsterman
24-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Is that why Invercargill is listed as 'Waihōpai' on the weather maps.

It seems that Maori Language week is designed to confuse the majority of the population with unintelligible rubbish on the weather map.

And who is paying for all this useless crap? Not the maoris but the taxpayer!

At least we only have to put up with this crap one week in the year, although you would think that if the promoters of maori language week were passionate about the language they would make it maori language year. Thank goodness the promoters are only playing and are not committed. We just could not stand this rubbish all the time.

kahawai chaser
24-07-2012, 02:42 PM
What an absolute load of rubbish and a complete waste of time! I just can't understand why anyone persists with promoting an almost dead language. Who gives a stuff? Not even many maori are interested, so why do we have to put up with this twaddle?

English is the prominent tongue in this very English country. So let's forget about all the poor attempts at promoting a language that has almost no relevance in this country.

I have only heard of one use for the maori languague. Maori was used in WW2 to pass radio messages. It saved time as the messages did not need to be encoded. Nobody else in the world understood what they were saying. The same is still true all these years later and the reality is that even fewer speak this dying tongue today. Unfortunately there seems to be some sort of misdirected need to preserve the language and that is fine if that is what you want to do. What I object to is how it is pushed upon everybody - even those who have not the slightest interest.

Maori language week? What a complete waste of time, effort and taxpayers' money!

How is it not relevant? - You spoken to maori ex prisoners? The hard core set. I knew a maori man inside a while back, said he felt better after leaning maoritonga, whakapapa, etc. Many of our cities, suburbs and towns are named in maori, of which some people have awful pronunciation, when I worked in the corporate upper middle class world. Wakatane, Onehanga, Rotaroa, Manacow. Sure as you say who cares...So all forget or some?

Cicero
24-07-2012, 02:54 PM
It's the thought police, who exactly are they?

If you work in any government department, you must go through various rituals, why people put up with it is beyond me, they must frighted I suppose.

BBCmicro
24-07-2012, 03:00 PM
How long does this krap go on for?? :(

Until Jen calls a stop

sam m
24-07-2012, 03:03 PM
monologuists rule!

Roscoe
24-07-2012, 03:32 PM
How is it not relevant? - You spoken to maori ex prisoners? The hard core set. I knew a maori man inside a while back, said he felt better after leaning maoritonga, whakapapa, etc. Many of our cities, suburbs and towns are named in maori, of which some people have awful pronunciation, when I worked in the corporate upper middle class world. Wakatane, Onehanga, Rotaroa, Manacow. Sure as you say who cares...So all forget or some?

You knew ONE man? That does not even qaulify as a minority!

I might give a damn how maori is pronounced if they gave a damn as to how English is pronounced. It seems that it is okay to mis-pronounce English, but whatever you do don't mis-pronounce moari! But then who is it among us who decides what is correct maori pronunciation? My understanding is that there were many different dialects throughout the country and it depended on the tribe as to the way words were pronounced.

But why does it matter? It's only a minority that cares. Let that minority play with the maori language among themselves. Don't involve me as I could not give a damn. Thankfully this crap only lasts a week!

See what you started, LL.

So some hard core prisoners feel better after learning this rubbish. Good for them. If it makes them feel better then go ahead. Just don't push it on me. I'm not the slightest bit interested.

Metla
24-07-2012, 03:47 PM
How is it not relevant? - You spoken to maori ex prisoners? The hard core set. I knew a maori man inside a while back, said he felt better after leaning maoritonga, whakapapa, etc.

We should care because a hardcore criminal felt better?

I hope they also taught him something relevant as it seems he still retained the capacity to be educated.

BBCmicro
24-07-2012, 03:49 PM
I am disappointed that people on this forum that I otherwise respect every now and then show an unpleasant streak. Intolerance towards anybody 'different', just like the republicans in the US

Of course, I was no different in my younger days. We used to scorn anybody who played soccer (as it used to be called) or if their family had a 4-cylinder car. Women were treated like walnut trees, girls were "pieces of fluff". The mentally ill were like that through their own fault. Anybody poor was automatically lazy and probably alcoholic, only sissies voted labour....

Zippity
24-07-2012, 04:00 PM
I am disappointed that people on this forum that I otherwise respect every now and then show an unpleasant streak. Intolerance towards anybody 'different', just like the republicans in the US

Of course, I was no different in my younger days. We used to scorn anybody who played soccer (as it used to be called) or if their family had a 4-cylinder car. Women were treated like walnut trees, girls were "pieces of fluff". The mentally ill were like that through their own fault. Anybody poor was automatically lazy and probably alcoholic, only sissies voted labour....

And what have you learnt since then? :) :)

Cicero
24-07-2012, 04:00 PM
And now you have seen the light and vote labour.

BBCmicro
24-07-2012, 04:47 PM
And what have you learnt since then?
that if you want orange paint, don't ask for it by its Maori name ;) (karaka)

Richard
24-07-2012, 05:41 PM
It's still only sissies who vote Labour, and wusses who vote Green.

Jayess64
24-07-2012, 05:51 PM
You can see the value of this forum. If these jokers didn't have somewhere to vent from time to time they would all go nuts and start biting people.

Chilling_Silence
24-07-2012, 05:58 PM
You can see the value of this forum. If these jokers didn't have somewhere to vent from time to time they would all go nuts and start biting people.

Pretty much. We do our part and help keep the world sane....

pcuser42
24-07-2012, 06:23 PM
It's still only sissies who vote Labour, and wusses who vote Green.

And cowards who vote National :rolleyes:

R2x1
24-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Eh? Where's this sane bit of the world to be found? I've been out most of the day, and missed this newsworthy event.

Metla
24-07-2012, 06:34 PM

I'm disappointed you miss the point entirely and then use your lack of comprehension to pass judgement on other more enlightened people.

This is about resentment towards social engineering, Not about whatever you are going on about.

ChazTheGeek
24-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Kutikuti - scissors lol. A lot of their words came from the English ones - I think.
There is really no point in learning a language that no one hardly speaks. It is a dead language. If someone uses the language on TV, Radio or on signs and posters it is usually translated anyway so there really is hardly any point in learning it. This Maori language week thing is all about trying to exhume the long dead language in my view anyway. I remember sitting in Maori class a few years back and man was I BORED and boredom makes you do some crazy things, yep my teacher hated me. Everyone dreaded the period when had Maori. I can hardly remember anything from doing 8 years of learning Maori. That was a waste of time.

Iantech
24-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Wow, my gumboots arent big enough to wade into this thread lol. LL, what were you really thinking? Dangerous stuff!!

Actually, I stumbled accross a bit of the Maori language on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYFsBkxK_H0) the other day.

B.M.
25-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Wow, my gumboots arent big enough to wade into this thread lol. LL, what were you really thinking? Dangerous stuff!!

Actually, I stumbled accross a bit of the Maori language on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYFsBkxK_H0) the other day.

Thanks for that Ian and in the spirit of the occasion I have had the Maori Alphabet sent to me.

Apparently it goes: ACC-DPB-KFC-TAB-WINZ :D

Zippity
25-07-2012, 10:30 AM
A language that only 4 % of the population can speak fluently is regarded as one of OUR National languages.

What a joke :( :(

Cicero
25-07-2012, 10:59 AM
You have to admit the haka was impressive at the Royal horse show.

Even the horses were jealous of their tongues.

rob_on_guitar
25-07-2012, 11:10 AM
I didnt even know it existed. The maori language week thing. I do not agree with it, it just creates resentment especially when it seems we have gone from embracing multiculturalism to putting one above all. I mean the even have a political party etc... but thats a different story...

BBCmicro
25-07-2012, 11:15 AM
.. about resentment towards social engineering, Not about whatever you are going on about.

(Yes I did sort of over-indulge myself a bit there)

Maoritanga is a hobby like religion, sport, the monarchy, Justin Bieber... Yes, we're all annoyed when sport clutters up the TV news. But we put up with it because it is someone else's hobby, we presume

Maoritanga is not one of my hobbies but I can't help being indoctrinated by some of the stuff I read on the fridge:

Metla
25-07-2012, 11:20 AM
I still have no idea what is is you are on about.

bk T
25-07-2012, 11:27 AM
A language that only 4 % of the population can speak fluently is regarded as one of OUR National languages.

What a joke :( :(

Are you sure it's 4%? I thought much lesser! :D

I came to NZ 20+ years ago and I speak 5 languages but I can't count 1 - 10 in Maori!

Simply, there's no incentive (or motivation) to learn Maori!

prefect
25-07-2012, 11:35 AM
I learnt French at school no regrets. No way would I let my kids take moaris language lessons at High School.

Zippity
25-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Are you sure it's 4%? I thought much lesser! :D

I came to NZ 20+ years ago and I speak 5 languages but I can't count 1 - 10 in Maori!

The 4 % figure wasn't out of my head. It was actually quoted on a "news" story yesterday :(

bk T
25-07-2012, 11:57 AM
The 4 % figure wasn't out of my head. It was actually quoted on a "news" story yesterday :(

OK. :)

Metla
25-07-2012, 12:03 PM
I don't believe that 4 percent figure for a second, no matter where it came from.

Ive met more people in NZ who are fluent in Icelandic then I have in maori.

Metla
25-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Though I did do some work for a full immersion Maori pre-school.

They didn't trust me at all, stood over me as I worked, asked thick questions, at one point I was even challenged as to why I was there and what I was doing (uh....you rang me and asked me to come in and do this) Utterly retarded.

I never got paid, and it turns out they were stealing from the system (that means from themselves as well....dumb dumb dumb)

I think they received extra funding to make up for their thieving.Lesson learned.

....................uh.

rob_on_guitar
25-07-2012, 12:07 PM

That is it. I plan to learn a language this year (well try to) and will be used for overseas.

mikebartnz
25-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Tutae the lot.

globe
25-07-2012, 09:41 PM
You should be proud of your historical languages. Look at welsh it was dead a few years ago and now it is common again and people are proud of it.

Shame on the NZers who are dissing their native language. Your history is your history and you should celebrate it, guess all of the people here who have slagged off the Maori language turn off the tv when their beloved all blacks do the haka also ? yeah right. Hang on that's Maori language and symbolism , two aspects of a culture people appear to dislike immensely. Hmmmm...

Metla
25-07-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm going to celebrate colonisation, The wide spread adoption of the English language, and the lifting of the last stone age culture on earth into the modern world.

If it were up to me the haka would be banned, Every man and his dog has whored it to oblivion. People took something that wasn't, glorified it beyond comprehension, and now wont shut up about it.

bk T
25-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Why do so many white NZ like (and accept) the haka??????

Greg
25-07-2012, 11:08 PM
Why do so many white NZ like (and accept) the haka??????Possibly because we old armchair warriors like to see and feel the strength of our nation. We immerse ourselves in the unity that rugby provides us, and the haka is a symbol of it.

That's just my hypothesis.

Zippity
25-07-2012, 11:08 PM
Who said we like the haka?

I'd like to see the opposition bare their butts at the all blacks when they perform the insulting challenge.

prefect
25-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Just watch Police 10 7 to get an idea of some of their culture. I am told the reason is Polynesians have some risk gene.
The haka has been done to death in NZ as far as I am concerned it should die a natural death like disco. Reminds me of a flatmate who bought a Kate Bush 45 record Wuthering Heights and played it over and over until I went insane.
The language is so totally irrelevant to me I am White and European I am proud of my own language.

Iantech
25-07-2012, 11:35 PM
You should be proud of your historical languages. Look at welsh it was dead a few years ago and now it is common again and people are proud of it.

Shame on the NZers who are dissing their native language. Your history is your history and you should celebrate it, guess all of the people here who have slagged off the Maori language turn off the tv when their beloved all blacks do the haka also ? yeah right. Hang on that's Maori language and symbolism , two aspects of a culture people appear to dislike immensely. Hmmmm...Yes Maori should be proud of their historic language, however it used to be forbidden for Maori to speak their language at schools and in public in general, therefore several generations of Maori never got to learn it or hand it down to the next generation. So in some cases, its not the Maoris fault but Europeans that the large majority dont know how to speak it.

It is however not my historic language, that would be Scottish or Gaelic for me.

If TV happens to be on when the Haka comes on, yes I do either turn it off or change channels for a few minutes, but not because it is Maori, but because I concider it has become meaningless, without pride and it is a media side show. It is more of a joke to many nations, it makes NZ look like a backward country full of barbarians and it does not represent modern New Zealand today.

bk T
25-07-2012, 11:50 PM

It is more of a joke to many nations, it makes NZ look like a backward country full of barbarians and it does not represent modern New Zealand today.

+1

Agent_24
26-07-2012, 01:22 AM

rob_on_guitar
26-07-2012, 09:29 AM

Shame on the NZers who are dissing their native language. Your history is your history and you should celebrate it, guess all of the people here who have slagged off the Maori language turn off the tv when their beloved all blacks do the haka also ? yeah right. Hang on that's Maori language and symbolism , two aspects of a culture people appear to dislike immensely. Hmmmm...

Because the haka doesnt win the game. Being maori doesnt win the game. People dont dislike the culture, some of us here have more culture than one, maybe maori should wake up and smell the coffee because I would go as far as saying at least 96% of maori have more than one culture in them, they ate whoever was here... yay lets be proud!

R2x1
26-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Poor toilet training maybe?
Because they are predisposed to favour anything that soccer or golf doesn't have? (Golf hakas are usually solitary affairs, further into the game and a bit off the beaten path.)

prefect
26-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Haven't met one yet within my circle of friends.

SP8's
26-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Dang ... I was going to be a smartar$e and tell all you lot off for not using Maori language this week ... In Maori.

Seems as though Google translate isn't all it's cracked up to be .... :D

globe
26-07-2012, 11:22 AM
It is however not my historic language, that would be Scottish or Gaelic for me.

If you're a NZ citizen then its part of the history of your country. Splitting hairs does not change this fact.

stuffed
26-07-2012, 11:35 AM
At an event quite a few years ago there was a discussion as to why Mt Egmont was being renamed Mt Taranaki.*
One of the political characters of the time quipped that Maori had enough Mountain names and cited Mt Eden and Mt Crawford!
The media crawled all over it and of course some do gooder tried to drag him to the race relations but turns out that some Maori had already used it in public so case closed!

rob_on_guitar
26-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Exactly.... NZ citizen... not maori, not chinese, not pacific islander, New Zealander.
Maybe those who are born here should put in claims and rights to everything since we could all pretty trace ancestry everywhere. Lets have a week to say "hey we speak english" the occupy the world! Kick ass!

Zippity
26-07-2012, 12:05 PM
If you're a NZ citizen then its part of the history of your country. Splitting hairs does not change this fact.

Methinks you assume too much :(

globe
26-07-2012, 12:10 PM
opps, double post

globe
26-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Lets have a week to say "hey we speak english"

However English is not a minority language that is likely to go out of use if a focus is not put on it.

But hey go for it, ask them to present the weather (including the town names) in English every night for a week, oh hang on a minute....

Zippity
26-07-2012, 01:42 PM
But hey go for it, ask them to present the weather (including the town names) in English every night for a week, oh hang on a minute....

They don't pronounce them in English at the best of times :( :(

Roscoe
26-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Yes Maori should be proud of their historic language, however it used to be forbidden for Maori to speak their language at schools and in public in general, therefore several generations of Maori never got to learn it or hand it down to the next generation. So in some cases, its not the Maoris fault but Europeans that the large majority dont know how to speak it.

You are correct. It was forbidden to speak maori in school (from the 1880s). Many people quote that fact but few seem to know the reason.

It was the maori elders (not the Europeans) that forbade their children from speaking maori at school as the elders realised that NZ was an English speaking country and if you wanted to get ahead you needed to be able to speak English so they wanted to make certain that their children could speak the language of commerce that would help them secure their place in the world. Anyone who could not speak English was at a distinct disadvantage.

Iantech
26-07-2012, 04:36 PM
If you're a NZ citizen then its part of the history of your country. Splitting hairs does not change this fact.One little thing you are overlooking, its called Colonisation. Maori are part of New Zealands history and thats exactly it - history. Respect the past, remember the past but dont try and live in the past. Maori can learn Maori as part of their culture if they so wish, so can anyone else for whatever reason, but you cant impose Maori on those who see there is no future in learning it (and against our Human Rights to try and enforce it).

Sanco
26-07-2012, 05:24 PM
I don't mind the Maori language week, I don't speak the language and I am not interested in learning it but I don't mind the media pretending to care.
Would be nice to see an English week too, a week where media and all of us would pronounce the word Women properly, or when we all could learn the proper use of the apostrophe or the 'their, there, they're' thingy you know...
Like someone else previously stated here, I too massacrate three or four languages already and I think that is enough for my little brain. What I find fascinating is the Maori getting offended when their language is mis-pronounced, yet my native italian language is often maimed and I find it quite funny actually. You know: spag bol, pesta, bolonaise, chabta (ciabatta), cappachino and so on. I actually quite like those words and often use them among my friends for fun - why get offended?
I guess someone wants to get offended no matter what because doing so it reinforces their agenda and pushes the guilt trip New Zealand has been spoon fed in the last 50 years.

My 2c :(

Iantech
26-07-2012, 05:32 PM
A learn to speak English week would be great for TV presenters . The Police show presenters make me cringe with they mention the word "Constable"!!

paulw
26-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Hey. How about a Latin language week??

ChazTheGeek
27-07-2012, 05:58 PM
He he he.

bk T
27-07-2012, 06:13 PM
I don't mind the Maori language week, I don't speak the language and I am not interested in learning it but I don't mind the media pretending to care.
Would be nice to see an English week too, a week where media and all of us would pronounce the word Women properly, or when we all could learn the proper use of the apostrophe or the 'their, there, they're' thingy you know...
Like someone else previously stated here, I too massacrate three or four languages already and I think that is enough for my little brain. What I find fascinating is the Maori getting offended when their language is mis-pronounced, yet my native italian language is often maimed and I find it quite funny actually. You know: spag bol, pesta, bolonaise, chabta (ciabatta), cappachino and so on. I actually quite like those words and often use them among my friends for fun - why get offended?
I guess someone wants to get offended no matter what because doing so it reinforces their agenda and pushes the guilt trip New Zealand has been spoon fed in the last 50 years.

My 2c :(

+ 1

paulw
27-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Yes Maori should be proud of their historic language, however it used to be forbidden for Maori to speak their language at schools and in public in general, therefore several generations of Maori never got to learn it or hand it down to the next generation. So in some cases, its not the Maoris fault but Europeans that the large majority dont know how to speak it.

If TV happens to be on when the Haka comes on, yes I do either turn it off or change channels for a few minutes, but not because it is Maori, but because I concider it has become meaningless, without pride and it is a media side show. It is more of a joke to many nations, it makes NZ look like a backward country full of barbarians and it does not represent modern New Zealand today.

Especially when it's the Olympics or the like. I cringe when I think this may happen over the next two weeks. Every time a NZ athlete does well it's time to break out into a haka..

ChazTheGeek
27-07-2012, 08:42 PM
+3

kahawai chaser
27-07-2012, 09:02 PM
As mentioned earlier maybe a english language week may be useful. Even some of the english language from UK citzens, I could barely understand during early 70's, both in accent and sentence structure. Had a mate from Lancashire that seem to have shortened words and kind of using past tense words. Another sounded over accented like actor Michael Crawford (I see is now living in NZ). Another seemingly upper class like Prince Charles or Robert Morely. Because of their accents many I recall were unfortunately ridiculed e.g at school, from NZ's around that time.

Iantech
27-07-2012, 10:10 PM
Especially when it's the Olympics or the like. I cringe when I think this may happen over the next two weeks. Every time a NZ athlete does well it's time to break out into a haka..I seem to remember at the last games (commonwelth or olympic I'm not sure) that a group kept on performing the haka at pool side when our swimmers were swimming (not during, but after it or something), and they were banned from doing it or asked to stop doing it as it was disruptive or something, can anyone remember that in more detail? I hope it is banned at these games anyway.

Cicero
28-07-2012, 08:18 AM
I think they are paid per tongue poke!

ChazTheGeek
28-07-2012, 11:42 AM
I seem to remember at the last games (commonwelth or olympic I'm not sure) that a group kept on performing the haka at pool side when our swimmers were swimming (not during, but after it or something), and they were banned from doing it or asked to stop doing it as it was disruptive or something, can anyone remember that in more detail? I hope it is banned at these games anyway.

It better. It makes us look like ...no offense... savages. Like we haven't moved from the stone age.