PDA

View Full Version : VLC media player or k-lite codec pack

GameJunkie
23-07-2012, 10:08 AM
I've got both installed, but which do people use as their video player??

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Neither yet. But they say potplayer is pretty good too. Dont think you need codecs, if you install VLC player.

8ftmetalhaed
23-07-2012, 11:22 AM
VLC is nasty. I was lectured as to why by one of the anime buffs in the club who has all his codecs set up all flash for his videos.
Klite codec pack with media player home cinema. Might have to spend some time fiddling with the settings to get it working absolutely perfectly, but even vanilla it makes stuff look nicer than VLC, and most definitely does a better job than WMP.

psycik
23-07-2012, 11:35 AM
I install the individual codecs needed. Fine things like k-lite and SAF overkill.

So really on a dedicated PVR, I have Haali media splitter (W7 does the h.264 decoding natively), an xivd decoder, monogram for the HE-AAC-LC in our Freeview HD, and the only odd ball is an flv decoder.

VLC is great if you have lots of varied videos, but I don't think it hardware decodes (it may do now, I haven't tested it), which means on lower spec'd CPU hardware it can struggle with HD video.

Cato
23-07-2012, 11:39 AM
VLC is nasty. I was lectured as to why by one of the anime buffs in the club who has all his codecs set up all flash for his videos.

Can you enlighten the rest of us?

8ftmetalhaed
23-07-2012, 11:44 AM
There was something about nicer filters, better hardware decoding/GPU rendering, better noise reduction, handling certain files better (like chaptered files), better customisation, and I like it because it doesn't have a stupid traffic cone for an icon.

icow
23-07-2012, 11:51 AM
I don't see a traffic cone icon, I see a preview of the video.

Metla
23-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Good quality footage gives good quality playback, I have no interest in trying to run rubbish through filters to make it "better", crap in crap out.

If it looks like crap then blame the file not the media player.

That said, I use Powerdvd for most movie playback, Windows media player for music, and VLC for the crap that comes off the internet.

23-07-2012, 01:30 PM
I stay away from codec packs. They can make a nasty mess thats too hard to clean up (sometimes)
Not to mention the bundled malware in some codec packs
Cant see any need for codec packs when VLC works without them. I guess some just want a flashier interface (WMP)

Bener
23-07-2012, 02:42 PM
I agree with 8ftmetalhaed on this one - Media Player Classic (not Windows Media Player), bundled with K-Lite, seems to be the best.

dugimodo
23-07-2012, 04:17 PM
I just use VLC and WMP with FFD-show, both seem to play everything and I haven't noticed any quality issues. I don't really have any odd format media though, all mine is Xvid or MP4 with a few x264 MKVs thrown in for good measure.

goodiesguy
23-07-2012, 04:40 PM
I use VLC for standard video file playing, or previewing. PowerDVD for DVD playback, as it does the best job at de-interlacing and giving a nice picture. And I juse Foobar2000 for music and conversion, Best, audio, player, ever!

autechre
24-07-2012, 09:41 AM
MPC-HC via K-Lite for me too. The codec pack is much simpler these days (less codecs installed by default).

I do have VLC installed for "raw" MXF files from my video camera, but don't like it's interface at all.

Cicero
24-07-2012, 09:54 AM
VLC seems good to me.

Nick G
24-07-2012, 10:44 AM
I quite like ump

Agent_24
25-07-2012, 03:46 AM
VLC is what I use for video. Handles everything I have ever thrown at it except some stupid proprietary thing called 'VP7'. The road cone icon might be strange for a media player but so what? Beats clogging up my registry with a bunch of codecs from who-knows-where...

I found that SMPlayer can handle VP7, however.