PDA

View Full Version : What are the recommendations for a good e reader for reading the newspaper and e book

jwig
22-07-2012, 01:16 PM
If anyone can give some guidelines about what to look for and what to avoid in choosing an e reader for reading daily newspaper download and a few e books I should appreciate it. The recipient for the intended gift wears strong reading glasses and describes themselves as somewhat senior. Many thanks.

dugimodo
22-07-2012, 01:43 PM
First I'd find out what format the newspaper is available in then make sure whatever reader you choose supports it.
Considering the reading glasses maybe look for one with a large screen, I have a basic kindle and I really like it but there's less text on the screen than a normal book and if you zoom it there'll be even less.
If the budget will stretch that far maybe a cheap 7" or 10" tablet would be a good option.

Normal black and white e-readers with e-ink have awesome battery life and are much like reading a normal book so some people find them easier on the eyes for long sessions.
Colour LCD screens on the other hand like tablets have look much nicer for anything with pictures etc and can be read in low light or the dark, but they have a much shorter battery life and need frequent charging.

I think all the major E-readers are pretty good, I was tempted by the sony ones but ended up getting a kindle because Amazon seemed to have the best range of books available and usually at better prices.
I have no Idea if they have newspapers for this area though, I don't read them myself.

What really annoys me is a lot of new books are close to or more than the hardcover price when they are released when we all know the distribution costs are hugely lower and you don't get a physical book you can lend, resell, or give away afterwards.
They should always cost less than paperbacks in my opinion. On the upside there's a huge range of free and very cheap E-books available.

jwig
22-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Thanks very much for such a detailed and helpful reply dugimodo; hadn't considered a tablet but it makes much sense. It is also useful to know about the screen size and to think about enquiring about the newspaper downloads being compatible. ( The Guardian and Telegraph are the primary papers of interest ), and yes, the comparable cost of e books is off-putting. I am loathe to go the apple way as it looks like apple may be changing the charging connections anyway. I am presuming a tablet could run android e reader-type programmes....will need to investigate but would appreciate views about this too.

gary67
22-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Check out Zinio for digital magazines, and don't forget your local library for eBooks too

Nick G
22-07-2012, 02:43 PM
About the idea of a tablet. If you decide to go with a 10inch one now, it makes sense to get an ipad3 (there, I said it) because of the higher resolution. Otherwise, hopefully a nice high pixel density android will arrive soon.
EDIT. Like the ASUS transformer prime's replacement with 1920x1200 pixels

Agent_24
22-07-2012, 03:06 PM
I thought about this too, recently, and I came to the conclusion that a tablet or convertible notebook is the better idea because it's the only way you're going to get a screen large enough to be the same size as an actual book, especially textbooks, magazines, comics etc.

dugimodo
22-07-2012, 07:20 PM
It depends really, I have a 10.1" tablet and a 6" kindle and I still use the kindle for books most of the time (the cool thing is the tablet and kindle sync and keep track of what page I'm up to regardless of which I use).
the tablet gets heavy and awkward to read on after a while. Comics and Magazines are much nicer on the tablet, but for books I think the E-reader wins. You can leave it lying around for literally months without charging and it's a very nice display for reading.
The screen looks so much like paper when I unpacked it I thought the instructions on the screen was a paper insert, but it was the actual screen. It comes from the factory with unpacking instructions on it and because E-ink only uses power when it changes the page it can display things even when turned off.

Nick G
22-07-2012, 07:38 PM
ASUS nexus 7?

gary67
22-07-2012, 08:56 PM
I do find magazines even on a 10" screen are not as big as an A4 printed page though so if you have imperfect eyesight expect a bit of scrolling around