PDA

View Full Version : How do i get an ID (in dunedin)

goodiesguy
21-07-2012, 11:05 PM
How do i get a legal ID card?

And as soon as possible.

Me and mum went to book in for tomorrow night to see "TED" at Hoyts and they said I needed ID for it, as it's R13. I've never had any form of an ID card, student id etc..

I've only got my birth certificate, and they said it wasn't good enough.

I know it's pushing it, but i'd love to have at least some form of legal ID I could use so I would be able to see it tomorrow.

But anyway, Please help with the original question.

plod
21-07-2012, 11:19 PM
One of the pitfuls of being home schooled, what about passport?

pine-o-cleen
21-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Grow a mustache.

How old are you? The only sort of ID I can think of is a drivers license or a HANZ 18+ card, and you can't be anywhere near 18 by the sounds of it.

goodiesguy
21-07-2012, 11:29 PM
I'm 16, and if I really wanted to, I could grow my moustache, but I like to be clean shaven.

And @plod. Ive got no passport, the highest i've been in the world is the twizel area (The camp area that has those big red turbine dam thingys (Big red pipes). they've been shown on the news. It's called "Fall Stone"(not spelt like that, but that's how it's pronounced)

I'm still enrolled to my old school Taieri College, but I'm currently not in any schooling, an am waiting to do a course for literacy and numeracy (to get the rest of my credits) in town.

Edit: this is the place I was talking about. The highest area in the world i've ever been (if your talking map wise): http://wa2.cdn.3news.co.nz/3news/AM/2012/3/8/245686/dam-asset-sales-730.JPG?width=460

Bobh
21-07-2012, 11:35 PM
Drivers licence. Bankcards may need a photo to be used as ID.

Try here (http://www.nzpost.co.nz/apply-renew-organise/hanz-18-card) for an 18+ card.

stratex5
21-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Drivers licence. Bankcards may need a photo to be used as ID.

Try here (http://www.nzpost.co.nz/apply-renew-organise/hanz-18-card) for an 18+ card.

But he said he was only sixteen? Im pretty sure you cant age 2 years in 1 day:D

icow
22-07-2012, 12:48 AM
WTF since when was birth certificate not good enough and since when was anyone who is 16 confused with someone who is under 13 (visually). The person serving you sounds like a right douche.

goodiesguy
22-07-2012, 12:54 AM
2 people served, and they said they get checked regulary for this type of stuff. Twas at Hoyts in the Otogan.

stratex5
22-07-2012, 01:07 AM
Do you not have your learners yet?

Speedy Gonzales
22-07-2012, 01:16 AM
Some places wont/dont take birth certs, even if its legit. Unless its a photo ID. I dont have any form of photo ID either. I dont drive, and I've never had a licence. But, I have a passport, but its over 20 years old. And a certified birth cert. But, both are not good enough. Unless, I renew the passport / get another photo taken. I'm not going to bother, because I'm not going overseas

Went to get something witnessed / signed by a JP the other day. They wouldn't accept a birth cert, unless it was a photo ID

zqwerty
22-07-2012, 03:25 AM
This is B.S. you are being given, your parent/s should be able to say where you will and won't be allowed into if he/she accompanies you, monkeys at the door are a real nuisance and pain in the neck.

You have a computer, a photo ID is a piece of cake, print it, laminate and hey presto.

I got an exhibition Photo I.D. made up in the ChCH Square about 15 years ago, it was a promotion for some Telecom product I think, I use it for I.D. and all sorts of bill paying and authentifcation LOL the idiots, I found out by accident that it works when some particularly officious so-and-so wanted extra I.D. so I let him shuffle through my plastic cards and he liked that one, (rather like wearing a suit nearly always gets you in to where-ever), now I always try it first.

Remember more than half the population is made up of below average IQ, slavish, supposedly virtuous, rule-following monkeys.

goodiesguy
22-07-2012, 03:58 AM
This is B.S. you are being given, your parent/s should be able to say where you will and won't be allowed into if he/she accompanies you, monkeys at the door are a real nuisance and pain in the neck.

You have a computer, a photo ID is a piece of cake, print it, laminate and hey presto.

I got an exhibition Photo I.D. made up in the ChCH Square about 15 years ago, it was a promotion for some Telecom product I think, I use it for I.D. and all sorts of bill paying and authentifcation LOL the idiots, I found out by accident that it works when some particularly officious so-and-so wanted extra I.D. so I let him shuffle through my plastic cards and he liked that one, (rather like wearing a suit nearly always gets you in to where-ever), now I always try it first.

Remember more than half the population is made up of below average IQ, slavish, supposedly virtuous, rule-following monkeys.

Doing an ID on a computer is illeagal is it not??

I've never had trouble with M rated stuff, was able to see the last 3 Potter movies with my family fine, and my sister was an still is under 13. and M is normally 15 plus! I've even been fine when purchasing Benny Hill dvd's at warehouse which most of them are rated M.

goodiesguy
22-07-2012, 04:00 AM
Do you not have your learners yet?

Nope, I can't be effed to get a license at the moment. The two times i've drived the car i've scared the **** outta mum, it's the dam power steering on her car. I'm used to the really stiff hard turning on our old grass cart which I used to drive in the back yard.

goodiesguy
22-07-2012, 06:12 AM
Great :( Just checked Rialto's site, and that says "Student ID Required".

Is there any place in dunedin, that is open on a sunday, and can give me some for of legal ID?

pctek
22-07-2012, 07:09 AM
My son used to have this problem, he was 24 and used to get asked at bottle shops for ID.
He didn't have a drivers license.
Went in once with his dad, that wasn't good enough either, they both got thrown out.

ID on a Sunday? Most unlikely.....

stratex5
22-07-2012, 08:22 AM
Great :( Just checked Rialto's site, and that says "Student ID Required".

Is there any place in dunedin, that is open on a sunday, and can give me some for of legal ID?

Where ive seen people that watch harry potter and they are like 9. Why dont you travel to another town?

goodiesguy
22-07-2012, 08:25 AM
Dunedin is the only town with movie theatres. And there really is no point travelling for like 3 or 4 ours just to get to next place with a movie theatre, which is probably Earthquake Central.

I could at least try Rialto, of have another got at hoyts, as I'm pretty sure Birth Certificate is legal, and another forum I posted on said that the ticket sellers were speaking out of their asses

CliveM
22-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Surely it would only be illegal to produce an ID which was factually incorrect. So long as it has your correct name,photograph and DOB I can see no way you could get into trouble with the law by making your own.

stratex5
22-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Dunedin is the only town with movie theatres. And there really is no point travelling for like 3 or 4 ours just to get to next place with a movie theatre, which is probably Earthquake Central.

I could at least try Rialto, of have another got at hoyts, as I'm pretty sure Birth Certificate is legal, and another forum I posted on said that the ticket sellers were speaking out of their asses

Gore is just under 2 hours away from you. St james theatre is their movie theatre and they dont give a s*** about id usually.

coldot
22-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Hang about for a few years and then get your Gold Card with photo!

zqwerty
22-07-2012, 10:00 AM
If the details are correct how can it be illegal?

Just make a large heading with embellished text and some colour with the words - STUDENT IDentification, that should do it, maybe some logo you designed.

lakewoodlady
22-07-2012, 10:11 AM
You could wait for the movie to come out on DVD and then rent it.? I don't think there are many kids that would have a photo id , and since when is a birth certificate not recognised as a legal form of ID, especially as your mum is with you and can verify it. I don't think making one on the computer is wise.
What about your bank? If you have a bank account you could maybe request a photo bank card.

LL

Bryan
22-07-2012, 10:15 AM
Surely your birth certificate along with your Mum's drivers license and you both together should be enough. Contact the Management and have a go at them!

Nomad
22-07-2012, 10:46 AM
I do know that some (my) uni cards now don't have date of birth ... So maybe some high schools if he did belong to one, may not have the dob.

Nomad
22-07-2012, 10:49 AM
You could wait for the movie to come out on DVD and then rent it.? I don't think there are many kids that would have a photo id , and since when is a birth certificate not recognised as a legal form of ID, especially as your mum is with you and can verify it. I don't think making one on the computer is wise.
What about your bank? If you have a bank account you could maybe request a photo bank card.

LL

Thought the photo cards were credit cards only, at least with BNZ afaik. Yeah you could then match it to the birth cert.

R2x1
22-07-2012, 11:39 AM
You already have an id (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id,_ego_and_super-ego), they are built-in. It's the other bits that you have to work for. :thumbs:

SP8's
22-07-2012, 11:47 AM
If you're accompanied by your Mum and there's a problem, just get your Mum to speak to the manager .... Mums' can be very efficient at getting the message across ... others can be downright vicious and have the manger of the place running back to his/her office balling their eyes out ... :D

zqwerty
22-07-2012, 11:54 AM
NZ = A Population Bamboozled with B.S.

Myth
22-07-2012, 12:03 PM
WTF since when was birth certificate not good enough and since when was anyone who is 16 confused with someone who is under 13 (visually). The person serving you sounds like a right douche.I got asked for ID at Sky City once... I was 27
You have to be 20 to get in

SP8's
22-07-2012, 01:53 PM
I always ask the checkout chicks at the supermarket if they want to see my ID when I buy beer ... might be the grey hair or the walking frame ... but most of them just laugh at me ...

I have Sir John on speed-dial because of this ... :crying

goodiesguy
22-07-2012, 04:47 PM
It seems Hoyts were just being fag's.

dad just rang Rialto, and they said that it's pretty off what hoyts did.

johcar
22-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Bugger the ID - just get your mum to buy two adult tickets (with you not present at the counter - or not) and just walk in. The monkeys on the doors won't stop you...

You don't save THAT much with a student entry, and it's a hell of a lot less hassle that trying to get or create an ID...

stu161204
22-07-2012, 05:13 PM
I got asked for ID at Sky City once... I was 27

Every time me and my parents to go Sky City, I get asked for id! (There is only been maybe 2 - 3 times I haven't!)

SP8's
22-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Yeah ... but once you and Myth grow to be above 1.2m and have a 5 O'Clock instead of peach fuzz ... that should stop ... :D

goodiesguy
22-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Went into Rialto for the 4:10pm screening, I was asked my age so they knew how much to charge, All was good, no ask for any form of ID, we got Drinks, and an Ice Cream, and went in and enjoyed a bloody good movie!

Even better, we didn't get into the theatre till about 4:15 and we were just in time, the ads were nearly done. Overall great service, and it's nice to see the play the promo ad's for a short while so people can get to the theatre to see it in time.

Was a really good movie, and I reccomend it. I really want them to come out with "Ted" teddy bears, as I want one!.

BBCmicro
22-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Glad it's sorted. For the future, you could get free advice from a Community Law Office if there's one in Dunedin. In Wellington, the Community office has a Justice of the Peace resident for 2 hours on one day of the week, again free. The JP might be able to sign a form that you have made a statutory declaration of your age. They will require some ID, such as your birth certificate

To find out about the Community Law Office, you can visit a Citizen's Advice Bureau, often located in or near the central library

dugimodo
23-07-2012, 09:20 AM
It was just stupidity, the staff at these places do what they are told and don't put any thought into it. Your average 13+yr old doesn't carry photo ID around so how are they supposed to watch movies. The last I heard being accompanied by a parent or guardian is sufficient for all but the red R ratings and takes any responsibility off the theatre, I don't think the yellow ratings are even legal requirements so much as reccomendations. If it was an R16 or R18 it would be different.