PDA

View Full Version : WD not recognised

lakewoodlady
21-07-2012, 10:24 AM
The admin computer at SeniorNet suddenly stopped recognising the WD hdd that is plugged into it. We tried unplugging it and then plugging it back in a couple of times, but still nothing. Admin computer has Vista Home Premium on it.
It is used for back up of all the main files, data bases, etc. Is it worth putting it on another computer down there to see if it works on it? Or is it just dead and have to be replaced?

Cheer, LL

8ftmetalhaed
21-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Check it on another computer, and try other drives and devices on the computer in question.

Also worth checking if it's still there under drive management.

Go to administrative tools (on start menu or under control panel) > computer management
then click the disk management tab on the left and see if it's there.

lakewoodlady
21-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Thanks for that 8ftmetalhaed, will try those things. Will have to wait till Monday now, as rooms are all locked up in the weekends.

LL

pctek
21-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Try without it's enclosure, connect it direct.

And never leave external backup drives connected permanently. They should be plugged in to do the backup, then unplugged.

icow
21-07-2012, 12:16 PM
When its plugged in run the program "Disk Management" (installed on all windows 7 computers) and see if it appears there, if it does but not in my computer then it's likely that the partitions have been corrupted somehow.

lakewoodlady
21-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Try without it's enclosure, connect it direct.

And never leave external backup drives connected permanently. They should be plugged in to do the backup, then unplugged.

Thanks pctek, I am not sure if it has been left plugged in all the time or not. I don't normally have much to do with that one, but the other guy is away and asked me to try and find out what is wrong.

LL

23-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Assuming its JUST a backup HD (& tthe files are still on the main PC)
Simply try it in another PC. If that PC cant detect it...
...REPLACE IT . Dont waste your time on it .

You need backups HD's to be reliable.
If its a bit dodgy just replace it , do another back on the new HD ASAP & move on.
As mentioned above, it shouldnt be left plugged in. Ideally you have 2 backup HD's, at least 1 is kept offsite (ie you rotate them)
Its also worth checking that everything you need is actually backed up (dont just assume it is)

Ive been called in to do restores from backup & found that not everything was backed up or the backup was rather difficult to recover from (eg some strange/unknown piece of backup software had been used)

:thumbs:

lakewoodlady
23-07-2012, 03:36 PM
I went down to the rooms this morning and plugged it in and it went fine. All I did was make sure the USB and power cables were in nice and firm, then pressed the big button on the front of it and then Windows found it.
I tested a few file transfers to it and that worked OK. I think someone had just accidentally turned it off by knocking that front button. It is pretty sensitive.

While I was there, I discovered that the last backup made of anything, was back in March sometime, so when people thought that they were backing up, in fact they weren't.
For the moment, it is working, but I will now make a point of checking it every time I go in.

Cheers, LL